Who sleeps for a full eight hours? Not the average desk job worker. So how can one keep his energy levels up all day when he is sleep-deprived? It’s simple: Power Nap!
Gone are the days when nappers are considered lazy. Now, even the not-so-cool bosses are really chill with their employees taking a nap at work. Why? Read on, and you’ll know it!
The Costs Of Sleep Loss
Besides making you grumpy and foggy, missing out on the recommended 8 hours of sleep can wreak havoc in your body. Science has linked lack of sleep with all kinds of imbalances in our body. Let’s go over the effects of sleep deprivation in detail.
- Slows your brain down: Lack of sleep affects your brain’s normal functioning. This, in turn, impairs cognition, reasoning, alertness, and attention. It is also said to increase dementia risk by 33%.
- Premature aging: Chronic insomnia makes you age faster. Sleep loss interferes with collagen production and alters growth hormone levels.
- Make you obese: Studies say individuals who sleep less than 6 hours a day are 30% more likely to become obese.
- Reduces immunity: Lack of enough sleep affects the body’s defense mechanism as well. According to some studies, 90% of individuals with sleeping issues are more prone to heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
- Increase accident risk: Drowsiness is one of the major reasons for road and work accidents.
Top 5 Benefits Of Power Napping At Work
Ideal mid-day sleep or power napping time should last between 10 and 30 minutes. Here’s what you need to know about power napping benefits.
- Boosts Productivity: When your eyes are droopy-sleepy, you cannot give 100% at work. Take a power nap, and then resume your work. Because a quick nap can restore mental alertness, boost performance, and reduce the chances of manual errors at work. Says who? NASA! According to their study, a 40-minute nap improved performance by 34% and alertness by 100% in military pilots and astronauts.
- Provides a memory boost: At work, you will stumble upon many complex tasks that will cause memory overload. That’s when the power nap steps in. Studies say that a regular 10-,20- or 30-minutes shut-eye at work improves memory retention and gives your brain a breathing space.
- Enhances creativity: Daytime nap is also said to increase your sensory perception, creative thinking, and cognitive processing. This means that making a 30-slide business presentation or devising a marketing strategy is going to be a cakewalk for you.
- Improves mood: Next time you feel anxious, irritable, depressed, and distracted, take a power nap. It’s because your system has irregular serotonin levels. Studies say that napping regulates ‘the happy hormone’ levels and reverse the negative outlook.
- Boost immunity: The benefits of napping extend well beyond memory, mood, and creativity. By boosting immunity, a power nap reduces the risk and frequency of illness. Not to forget, sleep-deprived employees are also at greater risk for hypertension, diabetes, and depression. The perfect attendance award is a power nap away, fellas!
Tricks To Squeeze In Power Nap At Work
For a ‘fruitful’ power nap, try these tips. You’ll feel energized and more productive.
- Keep it short: Depending on your lunch break, take a little snooze of 20 – 30 minutes. Since you aren’t falling into a deep sleep, you won’t wake up groggy or tired.
- Siesta time is the best: Our body starts giving ‘I’m tired’ signal around siesta time – somewhere between 2 – 3 PM. So, make siesta time your napping time.
- Napping location: Your desk wouldn’t be the ideal place if you worked in an office with lots of bays. Perhaps you may have a nap area in the office (these days, most offices do have one facility) else;, you could nap in a space that’s quiet or in your car.
- Use a nap prop: A neck pillow, an eye mask, cozy socks, or music on your headphone may help you doze off faster.
- Nap Pods: If you are a Google employee, you must be enjoying nap time in the MetroNaps EnergyPod. Good news: More and more companies are taking inspiration from NASA, Google, Huffington Post, and more.
Reviews: Top 3 Mattresses For Office Use
If your office culture doesn’t frown upon a power nap, here are our favorite picks that might suit your napping need.
- So, your boss lets you catch zzzzzz at work? Great! If you don’t like the nap room bed at work, here’s an ultra-comfy tri-fold mattress you could use.
- Filled with Pro Fiber and made of non-slip material, the breathable mattress is the pinnacle of pocket-friendly mattresses.
- There’s nothing to stretch or screw together, just lay it flat for your power nap, and fold it back once you are ‘recharged.’
- This 74 x 30 x 3.5 inches mattress and can also be used as a camping, hiking, or yoga mattress as well.
- Bonus: It meets all National Flammability Standards – yes, it is 100% safe.
- Bean bag chair one minute, bed the next, this one is a best bet to sneak back some winks after a tiring PowerPoint presentation.
- Filled with soft foam, the giant bean bag chair has a plush microfiber cover, which is a washer and drier safe. An extra-long zipper is also included in the design for effortless handling.
- To turn into your power nap aid, unzip it, remove the cover, and then flip the inner cushion – it’s as simple as that!
- To bring it back into the original bean bag, fold and slide the inner cushion into the cover.
- The manufacturer claims the fabric to remain soft and comfortable irrespective of the number of times you wash the cover.
- Product Dimensions: 42 x 42 x 32 inches; Item Weight: 35 pounds
- When it comes to offices, an inflatable sleeping pad is likely to be the choice if time and space are your major concerns.
- With CAMEL X-tech at your side, napping at work is as easy as ABC. Quickly inflate, take your nap, deflate and store it in the desk cupboard.
- Another interesting factor – its sleeping pad comes with an integrated pillow. No more carrying extra pillows!
- Plus, it takes very little space. The folded sleeping pad measures only 25* 6* 6 inches.
- Made of skin-friendly foam, it will have a thickness of one inch after inflation, which is pretty enough for a comfortable 20 minutes power nap.
Index Table: Top Rated Mattresses To Nap At Work
|1||American Furniture Alliance TriFold - Mattress||American Furniture Alliance||98.8|
|2||CordaRoy's Convertible - Chair to Bed||CordaRoy's||98|
|3||Camel Self-Inflating - Double Sleep Mat||Camel||98|
Table of Contents
- The Costs Of Sleep Loss
- Top 5 Benefits Of Power Napping At Work
- Tricks To Squeeze In Power Nap At Work
- Reviews: Top 3 Mattresses For Office Use
- Index Table: Top Rated Mattresses To Nap At Work