Back sleepers tend to have the best posture, yet sleeping on one’s back can still be quite uncomfortable.
If you are having trouble getting to sleep, your mattress could likely use an upgrade!
Read on further to find out more about sleeping on your back, what you can do to alleviate backaches or pains and what the best mattresses for back sleepers are.
Common Back Pain Causes & Back Sleeper Problems
Back Pains are usually symptomatic of inflammation or incorrect posture, which can be caused by many different factors, including:
- Injury – if you have injured your spine in any way, the wounded area will be swollen and more sensitive.
- Swollen Hips or Glands – if your hips are swollen, or your hip or neck glands are up, you will likely find it difficult to get comfortable during the night. Pressing on these areas will hurt, and for the duration, these are swollen, it is likely that your spine will be out of alignment.
- Bad Standing Posture – if you stand like a question mark during the day, don’t expect to feel good like an exclamation mark during the night! It is important to keep a good posture while standing during the day so that you can sleep pain-free at night.
- Heavy Lifting – Lifting heavy objects or carrying them can put your back out completely, inducing pain that will likely interrupt sleep.
- Chronic Fatigue – chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia are both conditions in which the lack of energy in the body has an effect on the way the body experiences pain. Usually, these patients are up to ten times more sensitive to any inflammation or lying in an incorrect posture at night.
- Spring Mattresses – have you had an old spring mattress for years? That could well be the cause of your back pain, as the springs tend to pop out of their coils and press into the back. Over extended periods of time, this can put your back out and cause complications.
Back Pain Relief & Remedies
Determining the cause of the pain will determine the solution you need to adopt.
If you have an injury, use an ice pack and if you have swollen knees or hips, elevate your legs.
The best back pain relief tends to come however from keeping a good posture.
Purchasing the best mattress for back sleepers will help to alleviate back pain by providing you with comfortable back support. Sleeping on one of these mattresses will also assist you if you suffer from fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue, as you will be able to sleep without hurting yourself.
Other back pain remedies include doing frequent exercise on a daily basis that uses the muscles in the back – kungfu, tai-chi or yoga are good examples of this.
If the muscles in your back are stronger, it will be easier for you to hold yourself in alignment. Exercise is also brilliant at reducing inflammation and giving your body an extra energy boost to help it heal.
Best Mattress Qualities for Back Sleepers
Here are a few of the most desirable features that you need to have included in your back sleeper mattress:
- Pressure Point Relief – the mattress needs to take the pressure off your back somehow, either by providing enough back support or having a surface that stimulates pressure points in the back.
- Contoured Design – if the mattress is specially contoured, there is a good chance it will alleviate pressure points on the back, enhance a good night’s sleep, as well as remaining breezy all night long.
- Ventilation – Ventilation is important, especially in foam mattresses. Make sure your mattress is breathable or perforated, or you stand a chance of overheating during the night.
- Memory Foam – this is the best orthotic grade foam available currently. Memory foam lets your body sink in, capturing a 3D rendition of your body shape. This provides your back with the best support and comfort you could ever dream of.
- Height – as far as mattresses go, the thicker the mattress, the more support it will provide for you.
Reviews: The Best Mattress for Back Sleepers
Here below are some of the best mattresses for back sleepers who used to find it tough to get a fabulous night’s sleep!
- This tried and trusted mattress has helped many back sleepers pull in their 40 winks without having hassles.
- 10 inches of memory foam provides your back with pressure relief, helping to alleviate pressure off the back entirely as you sleep.
- Fully inclusive with a 100 night’s trial – get your money back if you are not satisfied.
- Localized movement technology allows for you to sleep, even if your partner tosses and turns, keeping the bounces on their side of the bed.
- You won’t regret purchasing this back sleepers dream mattress – from the moment you sink in, you’ll be asleep!
- This is an extra large mattress especially designed for you if you weigh between 300 and 400 lbs.
- The mattress is reversible, with the underside have contoured ridges for pressure relief.
- Made from high-density, supportive latex foam to keep your back in the correct alignment.
- This mattress for back sleepers is covered in a luxurious cotton blend cover.
- 100% hypoallergenic and anti-microbial, this mattress will last you a long time and comes included with a 10-year warranty.
- If you suffer from sleeping on your back at night, due to a lack of support for your weight, then this is the ideal mattress for you!
- This mattress is the perfect balance between firm and soft, being covered in a top layer of soft ridges.
- The soft ridges covering the top provide your back with a massaging sensation, alleviating all pressure off the spine and allowing you to rest without stress.
- Under this layer is two layers of soft and high-density foams, each of which comfortably supports your back.
- This mattress has a 10-year warranty.
- Support an eco-friendly company by buying this mattress, as the mattress is made from recycled materials and is free from toxic chemicals.
- The Bed King Mattress is very well ventilated, meaning you need not fear hot sweats or suddenly overheating during the night!
- This memory foam mattress offers you unbridled support and comfort, creating a perfect contour that your body can just sink right into!
- Four layers of different foams constitute this 12-inch mattress of heavenly sleep, designed to alleviate pressure on your back.
- One of the layers is airflow high-density foam, ensuring that all unwanted heat escapes.
- The top layer is excellent quality memory foam which is infused with the antimicrobial properties of green tea. This also helps to keep the mattress fresh for years to come!
- This foam is CertiPUR-US certified and is free of any harmful chemicals.
- Pinzon’s mattress topper is overstuffed for optimal comfort and can help alleviate pressure off your back in a jiffy!
- The topper is sewn in boxes to minimize the stuffing from shifting and giving you optimal back support.
- Give your bedding a 1-inch boost and sleep with ease.
- This mattress pad is made of polyester, olefin, and spandex, ensuring a highly durable, anti-slip product.
- Feel like you are sleeping in a hotel room with an incredibly soft and comfortable microfiber cover.
- Free from chemicals and made in a certified OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattresses for Back Sleepers
|1||Tuft & Needle Universal Comfort Mattress - Luxurious Back Support Relief Mattress||Tuft & Needle||98|
|2||Ultimate Sleep Double Thick Mattress - Large Mattress for Heavier Back Sleepers||Ultimate Sleep||98|
|3||Purple Bed King Mattress - Maximum Back Pressure Relief Mattress||Purple||96|
|4||Zinus Green Tea Mattress - Green Tea Infused Back Sleeper Foam Mattress||Zinus||97|
|5||Pinzon Microplush Mattress Pad - Quick Fix Mattress Topper for Back Sleepers||Pinzon||97|
Table of Contents
- Common Back Pain Causes & Back Sleeper Problems
- Back Pain Relief & Remedies
- Best Mattress Qualities for Back Sleepers
- Reviews: The Best Mattress for Back Sleepers
- Tuft & Needle® Universal Comfort Mattress Luxurious Back Support Relief Mattress
- Ultimate Sleep® Double Thick Mattress Large Mattress for Heavier Back Sleepers
- Purple® Bed King Mattress Maximum Back Pressure Relief Mattress
- Zinus® Green Tea Mattress Green Tea Infused Back Sleeper Foam Mattress
- Pinzon® Microplush Mattress Pad Quick Fix Mattress Topper for Back Sleepers
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattresses for Back Sleepers