Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Back sleepers tend to have the best posture, yet sleeping on one’s back can still be uncomfortable.
If you are having trouble getting to sleep, your mattress could likely use an upgrade!
Read on further to learn more about sleeping on your back, what you can do to alleviate backaches or pains, and what the best mattresses for back sleepers are.
Common Back Pain Causes & Back Sleeper Problems
Back Pains are usually symptomatic of inflammation or incorrect posture, which many different factors, including:
- Injury – if you have injured your spine in any way, the wounded area will be swollen and more sensitive.
- Swollen Hips or Glands – if your hips are swollen, or your hip or neck glands are up, you will likely find it difficult to get comfortable during the night. Pressing on these areas will hurt, and your spine will likely be out of alignment for the duration these are swollen.
- Bad Standing Posture – if you stand like a question mark during the day, don’t expect to feel good like an exclamation mark during the night! It is important to keep a good posture while standing during the day to sleep pain-free at night.
- Heavy Lifting – Lifting heavy objects or carrying them can put your back out completely, inducing pain that will likely interrupt sleep.
- Chronic Fatigue – chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia are both conditions in which the lack of energy in the body affects the way the body experiences pain. Usually, these patients are up to ten times more sensitive to inflammation or lying in an incorrect posture at night.
- Spring Mattresses – have you had an old spring mattress for years? That could cause your back pain, as the springs tend to pop out of their coils and press into the back. Overextended periods can put your back out and cause complications.
Back Pain Relief and Remedies
Determining the cause of the pain will determine the solution you need to adopt.
If you have an injury, use an ice pack and elevate your legs if you have swollen knees or hips.
However, the best back pain relief comes from maintaining a good posture.
Purchasing the best mattress for back sleepers will alleviate back pain by providing you with comfortable back support. Sleeping on one of these mattresses will also assist you if you have fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue, as you will be able to sleep without hurting yourself.
Other back pain remedies include frequent exercise daily that uses the back – kungfu, tai-chi, or yoga are good examples of this.
If your back muscles are stronger, it will be easier for you to hold yourself in alignment. Exercise is also brilliant at reducing inflammation and giving your body an extra energy boost to help it heal.
Qualities of a Good Mattress for Back Sleepers
Here are a few of the most desirable features that you need to have included in your back sleeper mattress:
- Pressure Point Relief – the mattress needs to take the pressure off your back somehow, either by providing enough back support or having a surface that stimulates pressure points in the back.
- Contoured Design – if the mattress is specially contoured, there is a good chance it will alleviate pressure points on the back, enhance a good night’s sleep, as well as remain breezy all night long.
- Ventilation – Ventilation is important, especially in foam mattresses. Ensure your mattress is breathable or perforated, or you stand a chance of overheating during the night.
- Memory Foam – this is the best orthotic grade foam available currently. Memory foam lets your body sink in, capturing a 3D rendition of your body shape. This provides your back with the best support and comfort you could ever dream of.
- Height – as far as mattresses go, the thicker the mattress, the more support it will provide for you.
Reviews: The Best Mattress for Back Sleepers
Below are some of the best mattresses for back sleepers who used to find it tough to get a fabulous night’s sleep!
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- This tried and trusted mattress has helped many back sleepers pull in their 40 winks without hassling.
- Ten inches of memory foam provides your back with pressure relief, helping to alleviate pressure off the back entirely as you sleep.
- Fully inclusive with a 100-night trial – get your money back if you are unsatisfied.
- Localized movement technology allows you to sleep, even if your partner tosses and turns, keeping the bounces on their side of the bed.
- You won’t regret purchasing this back sleeper’s dream mattress – from the moment you sink in, you’ll be asleep!
- This extra-large mattress is specially designed for you if you weigh between 300 and 400 lbs.
- The mattress is reversible, with the underside having contoured ridges for pressure relief.
- It is made from high-density, supportive latex foam to keep your back in the correct alignment.
- This mattress for back sleepers is covered in a luxurious cotton blend cover.
- 100% hypoallergenic and antimicrobial, this mattress will last you a long time and comes included with a 10-year warranty.
- If you suffer from sleeping on your back at night due to a lack of support for your weight, this is the ideal mattress!
- This mattress is designed for supportive and comfortable sleeping.
- It features multiple layers, including a gel memory foam layer and a layer of upholstery-grade comfort support foam.
- The mattress also includes 680 individual power-packed wrapped coils for maximum lumbar support.
- It is made of hypoallergenic material to keep out dust mites, pollen, mold, and pet dander.
- This memory foam mattress offers unbridled support and comfort, creating a perfect contour that your body can sink right into!
- Four layers of different foams constitute this 12-inch mattress of heavenly sleep, designed to alleviate pressure on your back.
- One of the layers is airflow high-density foam, ensuring all unwanted heat escapes.
- The top layer is excellent quality memory foam, which is infused with green tea’s antimicrobial properties. This also helps to keep the mattress fresh for years to come!
- This foam is CertiPUR-US certified and is free of any harmful chemicals.
- Melani’s mattress topper is overstuffed for optimal comfort. It can help all vitae pressure instantly off your back topper is sewn in boxes to minimize the stuffing from shifting and give you optimal back support.
- Give your bedding a 1-inch boost and sleep with ease.
- This mattress pad is made of polyester, olefin, and spandex, ensuring a highly durable, anti-slip product.
- Feel like you are sleeping in a hotel room with an incredibly soft and comfortable microfiber cover.
- Free from chemicals and made in a certified OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory.
- The Sealy is a thirteen-inch thick mattress with many different comforts and supports layers.
- There are pocketed coils in the center for buoyancy and support and layers of cooling Gel-infused memory foam and firmer foam for comfort.
- The Posture Pedic design ensures only the best alignment for your back and spine.
- Comes with a soft textured fabric cover and durable reinforced edges.
- The edges are designed in such a way as to give you much more surface space.
- A quality and comfortable memory foam mattress designed ideally for sleeping on your back.
- Responsive memory foam top layers and firmer high-density center foam for better support.
- It is infused with charcoal and green tea that fights bacteria and odors in your mattress.
- Aids create a perfect sleeping position with the best alignment for your back.
- It is a highly ventilated and ergonomically designed mattress that adopts the latest sleeping technology to improve sleep.
- The infused Gel keeps you cool during the night by evenly dispersing body heat ways you’re your body.
- Plush memory foam molds to your body’s shape and offers medium-firm support for side and back sleepers.
- Comes with a 10-year quality and comfort warranty.per_list]
- Novilla designs this memory foam mattress in a Queen size.
- It features four layers and is designed with gel-infused memory foam for medium-firm support.
- The high-density foam base keeps the spine aligned and evenly disperses body weight to relieve pressure.
- It is breathable due to the middle foam layer designed as an airflow channel.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattresses for Back Sleepers
Table of Contents
- Common Back Pain Causes & Back Sleeper Problems
- Back Pain Relief and Remedies
- Qualities of a Good Mattress for Back Sleepers
- Reviews: The Best Mattress for Back Sleepers
- Tuft & Needle® Universal Comfort Mattress Luxurious Back Support Relief Mattress
- Ultimate Sleep® Double Thick Mattress Large Mattress for Heavier Back Sleepers
- Ashley Chime® Plush Hybrid Mattress
- Zinus® Green Tea Mattress Green Tea Infused Back Sleeper Foam Mattress
- Melanni® Microplush Mattress Pad Quick Fix Mattress Topper for Back Sleepers
- Sealy® Posturepedic Firm Mattress for Back Sleepers
- Zinus® Memory Foam Mattress Ultra Plush Firm Foam Mattress for Back Sleepers
- Sweet Night® Cool Sleep Cooling Back Pain and Back Sleeping Mattress
- Novilla Store® Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattresses for Back Sleepers