Stomach sleepers will know how challenging it can be to get a decent night of sleep on an ordinary mattress, which is why we have compiled this stomach sleeper’s mattress buying guide.
Read on for more info about problems stomach sleepers often encounter, how the best mattress for stomach sleepers can help, and what their best features are.
Common Problems Associated With Stomach Sleepers
Many people who sleep on their stomachs complain that they do not get a decent night of sleep and wake up in pain. They often experience pain anywhere along the spine, from their hips all the way up to their neck and shoulders. Moving around in this position or lifting a leg just causes more twisting of the spine, which leads to worse pain. Prolonged sleeping on the stomach can result in severe back problems such as fibromyalgia, slipped discs, or even dislocation of the spine.
The main reason for the pain that stomach sleepers endure is due to incorrect spinal alignment while they are asleep. When you fall asleep on your stomach, your head is raised slightly on your pillow. This causes the spin to curve overly inwards, which is just as uncomfortable as a spin curving too much outwards (such as seen in those with poor sitting or standing postures).
How the Right Mattress for Stomach Sleepers Can Help
A mattress alone will not solve any back problems as a result of stomach sleeping, but certainly, the majority of mattresses available can make them worse! Consider the following when purchasing a mattress for stomach sleeping.
- Very Firm Support – The firmer the support of the mattress, the better your back posture will be when sleeping on your stomach. If the mattress is too soft, you will sink into it, and that will cause worse spine alignment.
- Sag Proof – Make sure the mattress you are looking for does not sag over time! Back pain and pressure increase the deeper the mattress sags. If you are a large person with a bulkier weight, you may have an advantage here as weight adds compression to a mattress, making it firmer, contrary to popular belief.
- Pressure Distribution – Try find a mattress that evens out the pressure load on your back. A mattress with a quilted top or a very slim memory foam layer above lots of firm support can help distribute pressure evenly over the body.
Besides choosing the best mattress for stomach sleeping, you could also try to sleep without a pillow or purchase a full body pillow to help you get comfortable in other sleeping positions.
The Best Features of Mattresses for Stomach Sleepers
The below mattress features will help a stomach sleeper find relief when at rest.
- Mattress Inclination – A mattress with a slight inclination will aid the posture of stomach sleepers as well as help to reduce asthma, respiratory problems, indigestion, or heartburn. This is also a useful feature to have if you would like to try sleeping without a pillow, which can greatly alleviate stomach sleeper back pain.
- Box Top – A box top is a term given to a mattress that is designed with a firmer layer at the top. This is ideal for a stomach sleeper who needs additional firmness and support.
- Hybrid – A hybrid mattress is a combination of foam and pocketed coil springs. This combo also creates additional stability and support, combining both foam and spring mattresses’ pros into one ultimate solution. Hybrid mattresses do not cave in nearly as much as a soft foam or innerspring mattress alone would.
- Adjustable Firmness – The ability to adjust the firmness of a mattress is very desirable to a stomach sleeper, as this will allow them to find the perfect firmness level for their particular sleeping habits. If you are a stomach sleeper and like to change to other sleeping positions in the night, an adjustable firmness in a mattress would be ideal. The best air beds offer such adjustable firmness, able to inflate or deflate at the push of a button.
- Tempurpedic – A Tempurpedic mattress will not get too hot in the night, promoting less shifting around and better overall sleep quality.
Reviews: Best Stomach Sleeper Mattresses
Below we have selected some of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers we could find – have a look!
- This hybrid mattress comprises five separate layers that all contribute to the firmest support any stomach sleeper could hope for!
- The top layers are a blend of high-quality foams for comfort as well as high-density support, ensuring your back is at its best all night long.
- The coils at the base of the mattress have been independently pocketed for additional stability and support.
- A quilted top cover distributes pressure evenly over the body, providing relief to those suffering from back problems.
- The mattress prevents motion transfer, which is perfect for those who shift sleeping positions and keep their partners awake.
- Includes a hassle-free ten-year warranty.
- This mattress is sag-proof and provides excellent firm support to those who need it without the feeling that you are sinking into your bed.
- The top layer of slim memory foam is infused with cooling gel to ensure you remain at a constant temperature without disturbance.
- The mattress edges have been enhanced with edge support, making the mattress very stable and improving the firm support it provides.
- The mattress absorbs all motion, preventing any bounce from disturbing you or your partner while shifting in the night.
- The foam used in this mattress is of the highest quality and is certified-free from harmful flame retardants and other hazardous chemicals.
- This ultra-thick 13-inch mattress is designed to provide perfect support to the lumbar region and the neck and shoulders.
- A sophisticated combination of individually wrapped coils and high-density foam makes this mattress an ideal blend of comfort and stability.
- The square design at the top of the mattress effectively aids the body’s distribution of pressure, making it perfect for great posture and pain alleviation.
- The cover is made from natural bamboo, which keeps your body cool and wicks away moisture quickly.
- Enjoy the full-body support this mattress provides without worrying about sinking in or bottoming out.
- Dreamfoam bedding is proud to present this euro box topped mattress that they will customize to suit your firmness requirements!
- The Eurotop has been constructed with the best stability methods, enhancing the back and edge support that the mattress offers.
- Ideal for side sleepers or anyone who needs tailored support for serious back problems, surgery, or injury.
- This mattress is made using hypoallergenic high-density foams, which provide the best comfort and support regardless of how firm you need it.
- The mattress is dust mite resistant, antimicrobial, and is built to last you over a decade.
- Say hello to one of the most luxurious air beds on the market, including a neverFLAT pump system inside an impressive 18-inch profile.
- This air mattress self-inflates silently without disturbing anyone and intelligently maintains the pressure you select throughout the night.
- Choose the firmness level you want to sleep on simply by moving the dial to the desired choice, and the mattress will take care of the rest.
- The bed comprises 35 air coils, mimicking a superior hybrid mattress’s effects with the added option of full adjustability.
- The suede top and bottom layers ensure the mattress stays in one place.
- This is a 12-inch memory foam mattress with the perfect firmness for sleeping comfortably on your stomach.
- One inch of quilted plush air-infused foam, on top of a 1.5 inch of ventilated and gel-infused cooling foam, on top of 2 inches of gel-infused memory foam with a 7.5-inch base layer for maximum support.
- Comes with a premium textile knit cover for a luxury look.
- There are air mesh insert in the cover to enhance ventilation and cooling.
- Enjoy a plush and weightless sleeping experience on your tummy.
- A premium and soft mattress made from four layers of superior quality foam.
- The first layers have moldable and responsive memory foam, while the base consists of a firmer and higher density foam.
- This mattress will help align your spine and keep a great posture even when sleeping on your stomach.
- Infused with green tea and charcoal to keep the mattress fresh and odor-free.
- This is the perfect mattress to keep your posture and alignment intact while allowing you to sleep in any position that you wish.
- There are soft top foam layers, a gel-infused memory foam second layer, firmer base layers, and supportive pocketed coils in the center.
- The smooth and knit fabric cover is durable and comfortable.
- Reinforced Hd edges allow you to utilize all the space on the mattress and increase the edges’ durability.
- This mattress is made with four layers as well as zoned gel memory foam.
- The patented memory foam mattress keeps the body properly aligned, supported, comfortable.
- It is designed to relieve pressure and keep you at an optimum temperature.
- The gel mattress is flippable, with one side of the gel memory foam layer, while the bottom layer is high-density support foam.
- This is a 5.5-inch thick mattress designed for comfortable sleep in all positions.
- It features high-quality steel coils that are individually wrapped to increase airflow, isolate motion, and conform to individual sleep styles.
- The mattress includes a plush memory foam layer topped with natural Latex for the perfect combination of sink and spring.
- It is hypoallergenic, breathable, and comes with a two-tone cover for a finished and elegant look.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattresseses for Stomach Sleepers
Table of Contents
- Common Problems Associated With Stomach Sleepers
- How the Right Mattress for Stomach Sleepers Can Help
- The Best Features of Mattresses for Stomach Sleepers
- Reviews: Best Stomach Sleeper Mattresses
- Zinus® Extra Firm Hybrid Mattress Firm Coil Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Modway® Cooling Hybrid Mattress Memory Foam Coil Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Signature Sleep® Firm Bamboo Mattress Stomach Sleeper Lumbar Support Mattress
- Dreamfoam Bedding® Eurotop Latex Mattress StrongBox Top Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Insta-Bed® Stomach Sleeper Air Bed Adjustable Air Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Perfect Cloud® Elegance Stomach Sleeping Mattress
- Zinus® Memory Foam Mattress Ultra Plush Stomach Sleeping Mattress
- Sealy® Response Performance Firm Stomach Sleeping Mattress
- Sweetnight® Full Size Memory Foam Mattress
- LUCID® Hybrid Latex Mattress
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattresseses for Stomach Sleepers