Many of us have fallen in love instantaneously with a mattress, but as soon as the first night of inaugural sleep arrived, the mattress woke us up due to excessive heat.
This buyer’s guide will help you better understand why this phenomenon occurs and how you can avoid overheating in the night with a quick fix – you can bet the solution involves the best cooling mattress topper!
Why Does My Mattress Overheat?
It doesn’t take a thermo-nuclear physicist to understand why even some of the best mattresses on the market today overheat.
For the sake of good posture and back pain relief, the best orthotic mattresses are currently made from memory foam and many other high-density foams.
Foam is essentially plastic that has been aerated to create a soft spongy mass, but it is also highly conducive to temperature.
When your body heats the foam at night, heat gets trapped inside the minuscule air bubbles inside the foam, and without a way to escape, the mattress continues to get hotter and hotter.
Eventually, the heat can wake you up in the night with what feels like a sudden hot flash but is a gradual ‘slow-cooking process.
An overheating foam mattress is not a good thing for our health. Despite not sleeping properly due to frequent interruptions, the heat usually causes us to sweat.
Mattresses are usually treated with some form of chemicals, albeit a lot less than they used to be. However, if we wet the sheets with sweat, we stand an increased chance of suffusing ourselves with plastic molecules from the mattress.
What Can I Do To Keep Cool At Night?
To avoid the unfortunate hot flashes of the plague, some of us at night have a few things one can do to stop it.
- Get A Decent Mattress Protector – the more layers you put between yourself and the mattress, the better it is for you and your health. An additional barrier will prevent chemical residue from leaching through from the mattress; it will help redistribute a portion of the heat. Not to mention, a padded mattress protector can add some comfort and pressure alleviation to your rest. Waterproof mattress protectors also exist, which may be useful if you happen to sweat more than most people in general.
- Eat Healthily & Exercise to Detox Regularly – some of us are naturally a warmer temperature than most people, and this is likely a result of an over-firing liver. Don’t worry about that though, that’s what livers are there for! Eating a balanced diet and doing regular exercise can help give your body the cleanse it needs each day, helping the liver function optimally. You may notice your temperature will regulate and help you not overheat at night.
- Buy A Cooling Gel Foam Mattress Topper – The best quick fix to this problem, however, is a gel mattress topper. Specialized mattresses and toppers have been created to deal with this hot dilemma, having the ability to direct the heat away from your body. It’s like having an ice pack infused with the foam!
Features of a Good Cooling Mattress Topper
Mattress pads have varying features that you might find interesting to know about before purchasing one to stop overheating at night.
- Talalay Process – the Talalay process is a specialized method of making foam products whereby a molten foam is poured into a mold to set. The mold usually has holes in it, and this process is designed to create extra ventilation in the mattress topper.
- Thickness – the thicker the mattress pad is, the more of a barrier there is between you and the heat. Thickness is also very useful for those who suffer from back problems, back pain, or conditions that keep one awake at night due to discomfort. If you are a side sleeper, in particular, you will want a very thick mattress topper to accommodate your shoulders.
- Gel Memory Foam – memory foam is that amazing stuff that conforms to your body shape and keeps your spine straight all night long. It needs heat to work its magic, so cooling gel memory foam was invented to help it not overheat! The cooling gel gets suffused in the process when the foam is in its molten state and usually makes the mattress topper look blue or marbled with blue.
- Fiber Clusters or Feather Stuffing – If you hold a grudge against foam, especially after all of this overheating business, then you should look at fiber cluster technology. Mattress topper’s come in various forms, some of them being stuffed with what looks like lint balls. The air between these particles allows for heat to redistribute nicely, cooling down in the night effectively. Feathers and shredded foam works in much the same manner.
- Cotton Cover – what you cover your mattress pad in also makes a huge difference. A cotton cover with a high thread count will feel the softest and allow air to escape easily. Make sure to do yourself a favor and get one with a zipper! A cover can also help keep the mattress pad in place.
- Full Mattress Protection – A mattress pad usually just provides a barrier between you and your mattress. A mattress pad that covers all sides of the mattress, with an extra-plush top layer for comfort, will be able to protect your mattress more effectively. These mattress pads will keep bed bugs out and keep your mattress looking fresh.
- Waterproof – A waterproof mattress pad is an excellent idea if you need it for somebody that wets the bed or who is prone to making a mess in bed. If you live in a very humid area, it might be wise to buy a full mattress protector pad that is waterproof to keep fungus from growing inside your mattress.
- Motion Transfer Control – Firm foam mattress pads have the ability to control motion transfer. This means that you will not disturb the other when shifting around in the night if you or your spouse are restless sleepers.
- Antibacterial – A mattress pad with an antibacterial infusion, such as green tea or lavender, is an added bonus. This will keep the mattress pad free from growing mold or any undesirable bacteria.
- Contoured Ridges – Contoured ridges or plush quilted pockets in a mattress pad will ensure pressure point relief as well as amplified comfort.
Reviews: Best Cooling Mattress Pads & Toppers
Keep yourself cool at night ASAP with one of the best cooling foam mattress toppers below.
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- The Zinus AZ Swift is an excellent model in Cooling Mattress Toppers.
- The Mattress Topper is made with GEL infused memory foam, which offers excellent comfort and support and superior cooling qualities.
- The Mattress Topper is available in different sizes and thickness options you can choose from.
- High-quality made mattress topper with only the best quality materials.
- Lucid’s cooling mattress topper comprises 3 inches of memory foam for ultimate sleep time comfort and conformity.
- The purple Lavender infusion is calming, soothing and promotes deep, restful sleep when you lay on this mattress pad.
- Lavender has been used for thousands of years as a natural antiseptic and is fully antimicrobial.
- The mattress pad is ventilated for optimal breathability, allowing air to flow freely and keeps your temperature regulated.
- Lucid’s Lavender memory foam is certified with CertiPUR-US to match safety and performance standards.
- The LinenSpa Cooling Mattress Topper is available in different bed size selections and comes in a 3-inch thick design.
- The topper is infused with cooling GGEL to keep you cool and manufactured with comfortable Memory Foam.
- What is more, is that the mattress topper has a convoluted design that offers excellent pressure and pain relief.
- Maximum soft comfort with a cushy quilted platform and soft downlike fill.
- The very breathable and cloudlike surface area made from 300TC of cotton also dissipates heat and sweat.
- 8-21 inches thick with a cooling down alternative fill that easily slips over andy queen-sized mattress.
- The Olee Sleep is a foldable and cooling mattress and mattress topper.
- The Olee Sleep Topper is a mattress topper and foldable extra guest mattress in one.
- Made with two and a half inches of dura support foam and one and a half inches of dura i-gel foam, as well as memory foam for comfort.
- This is a cooling and portable design mattress and topper.
- A cooling three-inch queen-sized bed topper from Tempur material for getting the perfect night’s sleep.
- It is designed with three inches of Tempur material that adapts to your unique shape, weight, and temperature.
- The cooling cover is breathable and washable.
- Multi-purpose design that you can easily set up anywhere.
- The cooling of Gel with the plush comfort of memory foam.
- Four inches of memory foam infused with gel help regulate temperatures and disperse body heat.
- CertiPUR-Certified for quality and safe materials.
- Designed to soften your sleeping position and to keep you cool.
- This mattress topper could be a potential lifesaver for you, especially if your mattress is too hard and overheats.
- Manufactured using the Talalay process, this mattress has visible holes for optimal ventilation, allowing air to circulate freely and keeping you fresh.
- It is made from premium memory foam that has been thoroughly blended with cooling gel for a night of even more relaxed sleep.
- This mattress pad will protect your spine from incorrect posturing, as well as your body from any springs that may poke into you during the night.
- Free from harmful additives and toxins.
- Includes a 3 Year Warranty.
- This cooling mattress pad consists of 3 inches of body-contouring memory foam that has been infused with Iso-Cool cooling gel.
- On top of this memory foam layer is a quilted cover stuffed with RichLoft polyester fiberfill for unmatched comfort.
- The 300 thread count cotton cover ensures breathability and stays fresh, allowing hot air to escape.
- Around the edges of this mattress topper, a tight grip skirting keeps it in place and accommodates up to 20 inch thick mattresses!
- The mattress pad cover is machine washable, making it convenient to maintain.
- This mattress topper is hypoallergenic and suitable for use by anyone with allergies or sensitivities.
- Used by some of the largest hotels in the entire world, this mattress pad will not only keep you cool but will make you feel as if you are in a luxurious holiday destination!
- The cover is made from eco-friendly rayon (bamboo) fibers, which regulate temperature perfectly and feel very soft to the touch.
- The filling is made using a hypoallergenic down feather alternative, which comprises 30% cotton and 70% polyester for soft, dreamy results.
- The mattress pad is skirted for stability and will allow for mattresses up to 18 inches thick.
- Get the feel of quality goose down feathers while you rest assured, allergy, and animal cruelty-free!
- This mattress topper consists of two layers, the first being 2 inches of cooling gel-infused memory foam for supreme comfort.
- The second layer is made of 2 inches of high-density foam to keep your back and lumbar regions fully supported.
- The cooling gel infusion ensures that you never wake up in the night with a sudden hot flash or fire hazard.
- This mattress pad is highly durable and reduces the risk of your mattress “bottoming out.”
- It is certified as safe and free from phthalates and other toxic ingredients.
- It comes included with a worry-free 5-year warranty.
What Are Mattress Pads Used For?
Mattress pads are purchased for a variety of reasons.
The primary reason for buying a mattress pad is usually to increase the mattress’s comfort.
Mattress pads are used as interim comfort solutions for a mattress with loose springs or sagging after years of use.
Support is another reason you should purchase a mattress pad. If you paid a significant amount for an expensive mattress and it’s a fraction too firm or too soft, a mattress pad can be useful in evening out the support you need. Perfect back support also means improved comfort, less back pain, and 100% restorative rest!
Cooling mattress pads are used to keep the user fresh throughout the night, adding an extra layer of ventilation or heat resistance. With the right cooling mattress pad, it is unnecessary to rebuild your entire bed for overheating problems. Mattress pads are also beneficial in conferring mattress protection, keeping mattresses less exposed to perspiration, moisture, bacterial growth, or bed bugs.
Cooling Mattress Pad Materials & Considerations
To understand if your mattress pad is truly a cooling mattress pad, it should include one or more of the following materials or characteristics:
- Ventilation – This is particularly important in a foam mattress pad. Without ventilation, hot air will remain trapped inside the foam, resulting in the same problem often associated with foam mattresses. Ventilation can be achieved with perforations or with a secondary firm foam layer that allows for pockets of air to escape out the sides of the mattress pad.
- Cooling Gel – Cooling gel is one of the most common techniques used to keep foam mattress pads cool. A cooling gel is heat resistant and takes a long time to heat up to the point of feeling uncomfortable. Most cooling gel mattress pads will look blue.
- Graphite – Graphite or activated charcoal is another infusion that manufacturers make in cooling mattress pads. Graphite keeps your mattress very cool and has the extra benefit of being antimicrobial, too.
- Natural Materials – Many natural materials are breathable and allow for air to travel through them, which regulates the temperature. If your mattress pad is made from cotton, down feathers, bamboo, or wool, it will keep you at a perfect temperature all night long.
- Microfiber Clusters – Microfiber clusters are similar to down feathers, with the exception that they are synthetically derived and entirely hypoallergenic. The spaces between these cluster fibers will ensure heat and air do not remain trapped, regulating your sleeping temperature at all times.
Index Table: Top Rated Cooling Mattress Pads & Toppers
Table of Contents
- Why Does My Mattress Overheat?
- What Can I Do To Keep Cool At Night?
- Features of a Good Cooling Mattress Topper
- Reviews: Best Cooling Mattress Pads & Toppers
- Zinus® AZ-Swift Pressure Relief Topper with Cooling Gel
- Lucid® Lavender Infused Soothing Memory Foam Mattress Pad
- LinenSpa® Cooling Mattress Topper
- Leisure Town® Queen Cooling Mattress Topper
- Olee Sleep® Tri-Fold Cooling Mattress Topper
- Tempur-Pedic® Tempur-Adapt Cooling Mattress Topper
- Linenspa® Memory Foam Cooling Gel Mattress Topper
- Lucid® Open Cell Ventilated Cool Foam Mattress Topper
- Iso-Cool® Memory Foam Quilted Cooling Mattress Pad
- Eluxury Supplies® Bamboo Hotel Quality Cooling Mattress Pad
- Zinus® Thick Memory Foam Dual Layered Cooling Mattress Pad
- What Are Mattress Pads Used For?
- Cooling Mattress Pad Materials & Considerations
- Index Table: Top Rated Cooling Mattress Pads & Toppers