Many of us have fallen in love instantaneously with a mattress, but as soon as the first night of inaugural sleep arrived, the mattress woke us up due to excessive heat.
This buyer’s guide will help you better to understand why this phenomenon occurs and how you can avoid overheating in the night with a quick fix – you can bet the solution involves a best cooling mattress topper!
Why Does My Mattress Overheat?
It doesn’t take a thermo-nuclear physicist to understand why even some of the best mattresses on the market today overheat.
For the sake of good posture and back pain relief, the best orthotic mattresses are currently made from memory foam and numerous other high-density foams.
Foam is essentially plastic that has been aerated to create a soft spongy mass, but it is also highly conductive of temperature.
When your body heats the foam up at night, heat gets trapped inside the minuscule air bubbles inside the foam, and without a way to escape, the mattress continues to get hotter and hotter.
Eventually, the heat can wake you up in the night with what feels like a sudden hot flash but is a gradual ‘slow-cooking’ process.
An overheating foam mattress is not a good thing for our health. Despite not being able to sleep properly due to frequent interruptions, the heat usually causes us to sweat.
Mattresses are usually treated with some form of chemicals, albeit a lot less than they used to be, however, if we wet the sheets with sweat, we stand an increased chance of suffusing ourselves with plastic molecules from the mattress.
What Can I Do To Keep Cool At Night?
To avoid the unfortunate hot flashes the plague some of us at night, there are a few things one can do to stop it.
- Get A Decent Mattress Protector – the more layers you put between yourself and the mattress, the better it is for you and your health. An additional barrier will not only prevent chemical residue from leaching through from the mattress; it will help to redistribute a portion of the heat. Not to mention, a padded mattress protector can add some comfort and pressure alleviation to your rest. Waterproof mattress protectors also exist, which may be useful if you happen to sweat more than most people in general.
- Eat Healthily & Exercise to Detox Regularly – some of us are naturally a warmer temperature than most people, and this is likely a result of an over-firing liver. Don’t worry about that though, that’s what livers are there for! Eating a balanced diet and doing regular exercise can help give your body the cleanse it needs each day, helping the liver to function optimally. You may notice your temperature will regulate and that could help you not to overheat at night.
- Buy A Cooling Gel Foam Mattress Topper – the best quick fix to this problem, however, is a cooling gel foam mattress pad. Specialized mattresses and toppers have been created to deal with this hot dilemma, having the ability to direct the heat away from your body. It’s like having an ice pack infused with the foam!
Best Cooling Mattress Topper Features
Mattress pads have varying features that you might find interesting to know about before you make a purchase of one to stop overheating at night.
- Talalay Process – the Talalay process is a specialized method of making foam products whereby a molten foam is poured into a mold to set. The mold usually has holes in it, and this process is designed to create extra ventilation in the mattress topper.
- Thickness – the thicker the mattress pad is, the more of a barrier there is between you and the heat. Thickness is also very useful for those who suffer from back problems, back pain or conditions that keep one awake at night due to discomfort. If you are a side sleeper, in particular, you will want a very thick mattress topper to accommodate for your shoulders.
- Gel Memory Foam – memory foam is that amazing stuff that conforms to your body shape and keeps your spine straight all night long. It needs heat to work its magic, which is why cooling gel memory foam was invented, to help it not to overheat! Cooling gel gets suffused in the process when the foam is in its molten state and usually makes the mattress topper look blue or marbled with blue.
- Fiber Clusters or Feather Stuffing – If you hold a grudge against foam, especially after all of this overheating business, then you should look at fiber cluster technology. Mattress topper’s come in various forms, some of them being stuffed with what looks like balls of lint. The air between these particles allows for heat to redistribute nicely, cooling down in the night effectively. Feathers and shredded foam works in much the same manner.
- Cotton Cover – what you cover your mattress pad in also makes a huge difference. A cotton cover with a high thread count will feel the softest and allow air to escape the easiest. Make sure to do yourself a favor and get one with a zipper! A cover can also help keep the mattress pad in place.
Reviews: Best Cooling Mattress Pads & Toppers
Keep yourself cool at night ASAP with one of the best cooling foam mattress topper’s below.
- This mattress topper by PuraSleep has helped many to get in a cool night of well deserved rest in a jiffy.
- PuraSleep incorporates micro-gel beads into three flexible inches of memory foam, which not only feel cool but alleviates pressure points on the back.
- Cool flow foam is an added cooling bonus here. It means the foam was made with micro-ventilation to allow for hot air to escape out of it.
- You can choose if you want 2 inches or 3 inches (depending on if you like to sleep on your back or sides).
- This topper has a 3-year warranty and is certified to be free of added chemicals and toxins.
- Made in USA.
- This premium memory foam mattress topper has been marbled with quality cooling gel for the best sleep results.
- Made 2 inches thick to help distribute heat away from your body without detracting from the comfort of your mattress.
- The mattress pad alleviates points of tension along the spine, holding your posture straight.
- Manufactured with an open cell structure, allowing air to leave through the ‘pores’ of the topper naturally.
- Certified to be free of all toxic components, as well as being 100% hypoallergenic.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty as well as a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee.
- Made in USA.
- If you are tired of your mattress overheating and mattress toppers are not cutting it for you, then here is a great mattress replacement and solution.
- Comes with a built-in mattress pad that is made 4 inches thick for superior comfort and heat redistribution.
- The fine gel infusion makes for a cooling sleep experience.
- This is one of those mattresses where one can sink into sleep, but that still retains a decent level of lumbar support.
- The body contouring effect of the memory foam captures your posture perfectly at night, allowing for tension and pressure to be released from the back and neck.
- Made in USA.
- This mattress pad doubles as a mattress protector for the ultimate toss up between comfort and cooling.
- Stuffed with fiber clusters and covered in pure cotton, the air is free to flow around and out of the mattress pad.
- The quilted design confers the ergonomic property of pressure point alleviation, giving you night after night of superior sleep.
- A 300 thread count is comparable to some of the top bed linen, used in the best hotels in the world.
- A stretch-to-fit edge ensures this mattress pad stays in its place, able to cover mattresses up to 20 inches thick!
- Completely hypoallergenic and machine washable.
- This mattress topper could be a potential life saver for you, especially if your mattress is too hard and overheats.
- Manufactured using the Talalay process, this mattress has visible holes for optimal ventilation, allowing air to circulate freely and keeping you cool.
- Made from premium memory foam that has been thoroughly blended with cooling gel for a night of even cooler sleep.
- This mattress pad will protect your spine from incorrect posturing, as well as your body from any springs that may poke into you during the night.
- Free from harmful additives and toxins.
- Includes a 3 Year Warranty.
- This cooling mattress pad consists of 3 inches of body contouring memory foam that has been infused with Iso-Cool cooling gel.
- On top of this memory foam layer is a quilted cover that is stuffed with RichLoft polyester fiber fill for unmatched comfort.
- The 300 thread count cotton cover ensures breathability and stays fresh, allowing hot air to escape.
- Around the edges of this mattress topper, a tight grip skirting keeps it in place and accommodates up to 20 inch thick mattresses!
- The mattress pad cover is machine washable, making it convenient to maintain.
- This mattress topper is hypoallergenic and suitable for use by anyone with allergies or sensitivities.
- Used by some of the largest hotels in the entire world, this mattress pad will not only keep you cool but will make you feel as if you are in a luxurious holiday destination!
- The cover is made from eco-friendly rayon (bamboo) fibers which regulate temperature perfectly and feel very soft to the touch.
- The filling is made using a hypoallergenic down feather alternative which is comprised of 30% cotton and 70% polyester for soft, dreamy results.
- The mattress pad is skirted for stability and will allow for mattresses up to 18 inches thick.
- Get the feel of quality goose down feathers while you rest assured, allergy and animal cruelty-free!
- This cooling mattress pad from Comfort & Relax does just as the brand name intends, using 3 inches of cooling gel-infused memory foam to keep you at the right temperature.
- The mattress pad is very well ventilated, incorporating uniform perforations in the design to allow air to flow as well as additional pressure point relief.
- The memory foam is soft, yet supportive, conforming to your body shape and holding you suspended in a perfect sleeping posture.
- The mattress pad keeps you protected from loose springs if your innerspring mattress is on its last legs.
- The cover is entirely removable and machine washable for your convenience.
- Lucid’s cooling mattress topper is made of 3 inches of memory foam for ultimate sleep time comfort and conformity.
- The purple Lavender infusion is calming, soothing, and promotes deep, restful sleep when you lay on top this mattress pad.
- Lavender has been used for thousands of years as a natural antiseptic and is fully antimicrobial.
- The mattress pad is ventilated for optimal breathability, allowing air to flow freely and keeps your temperature regulated.
- Lucid’s Lavender memory foam is certified with CertiPUR-US to match safety and performance standards.
- This mattress topper consists of two layers, the first being 2 inches of cooling gel-infused memory foam for supreme comfort.
- The second layer is made of 2 inches of high-density foam to keep your back and lumbar regions fully supported.
- The cooling gel infusion ensures that you never wake up in the night with a sudden hot flash or fire hazard.
- This mattress pad is highly durable and reduces the risk of your mattress “bottoming out.”
- Certified as safe as well as free from phthalates and other toxic ingredients.
- Comes included with a worry-free 5-year warranty.
What Are Mattress Pads Used For?
Mattress pads are purchased for a variety of reasons. The primary reason for buying a mattress pad is usually to increase the comfort of the mattress.
Mattress pads are used as interim comfort solutions for a mattress that either has loose springs or that is sagging after years of use.
Support is another reason you should purchase a mattress pad. If you paid a large amount for an expensive mattress and it’s a fraction too firm or too soft, a mattress pad can be useful in evening out the support you need. Perfect back support also means improved comfort, less back pain and 100% restorative rest!
Cooling mattress pads are used to keep the user cool throughout the night, adding an extra layer of ventilation or heat resistance. With the right cooling mattress pad, it is not necessary to rebuy your entire bed for overheating problems. Mattress pads are also beneficial in conferring mattress protection, keeping mattresses less exposed to perspiration, moisture, bacterial growth or bed bugs.
Cooling Mattress Pad Materials & Considerations
To understand if your mattress pad is truly a cooling mattress pad, it should include one or more of the following materials or characteristics:
- Ventilation – This is particularly important in a foam mattress pad. Without ventilation, hot air will remain trapped inside the foam, resulting in the same problem that is often associated with foam mattresses. Ventilation can be achieved with perforations or with a secondary firm foam layer that allows for pockets of air to escape out the sides of the mattress pad.
- Cooling Gel – Cooling gel is one of the most common techniques used to keep foam mattress pads cool. A cooling gel is heat resistant and takes a long time to heat up to the point of feeling uncomfortable. Most cooling gel mattress pads will look blue in color.
- Graphite – Graphite or activated charcoal is another infusion that manufacturers make in cooling mattress pads. Graphite keeps your mattress very cool and has the extra benefit of being antimicrobial too.
- Natural Materials – Many natural materials are breathable and allow for air to travel through them which regulates the temperature. If your mattress pad is made from cotton, down feathers, bamboo or wool, it will keep you at a perfect temperature all night long.
- Microfiber Clusters – Microfiber clusters are similar to down feathers, with the exception that they are synthetically derived and entirely hypoallergenic. The spaces between these cluster fibers will ensure heat and air do not remain trapped, regulating your sleeping temperature at all times.
Best Cooling Mattress Pad Features
Here are some of the best features your cooling mattress pad could have and why!
- Full Mattress Protection – A mattress pad usually just provides a barrier between you and your mattress. A mattress pad that covers all sides of the mattress, with an extra plush top layer for comfort will be able to protect your mattress more effectively. These mattress pads will keep bed bugs out and keep your mattress looking fresh.
- Waterproof – A waterproof mattress pad is an excellent idea if you need it for somebody that wets the bed or who is prone to making a mess in bed. If you live in a very humid area, it might be wise to buy a full mattress protector pad that is waterproof to keep fungus from growing inside your mattress.
- Motion Transfer Control – Firm foam mattress pads have the ability to control motion transfer. This means that if you or your spouse are restless sleepers, you will not disturb the other when shifting around in the night.
- Antibacterial – A mattress pad with an antibacterial infusion, such as green tea or lavender, is an added bonus. This will keep the mattress pad free from growing mold or any undesirable bacteria.
- Contoured Ridges – Contoured ridges or plush quilted pockets in a mattress pad will ensure pressure point relief as well as amplified comfort.
Index Table: Cooling Mattress Pads & Toppers
Table of Contents
- Why Does My Mattress Overheat?
- What Can I Do To Keep Cool At Night?
- Best Cooling Mattress Topper Features
- Reviews: Best Cooling Mattress Pads & Toppers
- PuraSleep® Cool Gel Mattress Pad Tempurpedic Mattress Topper for Cool Sleep
- Advanced Sleep Solutions® Gel Topper Mattress Pad for an Overheating Mattress
- American Made® Cooling Gel Foam Mattress Replace Your Mattress With A Cooler One
- Cool-Jams Wicking Sleepwear® Topper Cool Fiber Fill Pure Cotton Mattress Pad
- Lucid® Open Cell Mattress Pad Ventilated Cool Foam Mattress Topper
- Iso-Cool® Memory Foam Mattress Topper Quilted Memory Foam Cooling Mattress Pad
- Eluxury Supplies® Bamboo Mattress Pad Hotel Quality Quilted Cooling Mattress Pad
- Comfort & Relax® Gel Memory Foam Mattress Pad Thick Perforated Cooling Gel Mattress Pad
- Lucid® Lavender Infused Mattress Topper Soothing Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Pad
- Zinus® Thick Memory Foam Mattress Topper Dual Layered Cooling Mattress Pad
- What Are Mattress Pads Used For?
- Cooling Mattress Pad Materials & Considerations
- Best Cooling Mattress Pad Features
- Index Table: Cooling Mattress Pads & Toppers