Most mattresses are built to handle an average weight of up to 200lbs per person. This is not suitable for an overweight, big-boned, or medically obese person for supporting their weight.
If you need a mattress for heavy people, this buyer’s guide takes a look at all you need to know about mattresses for heavy people and offers a great selection of mattresses that can support persons of up to 400lbs each.
Reviews: Best Heavy People Mattress
The below mattresses have helped many heavy people to sleep deeply at night without any trouble!
We hope you love the mattresses we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- This bariatric mattress is ideal for heavy people who need bed rest and is fully customizable to suit your individual needs.
- The dual-sided design consists of a flat surface on one side and a contoured surface on the other, depending on whether you want firmer support or pressure relief.
- A soft micro-lux cotton blend cover will keep you feeling fresh all night long and allows your skin to breathe without excess perspiration.
- The mattress consists of high resilience base support foam, designed specially to support a weight of up to 400lbs (per person, sleeps two people).
- It comes included with a 10-year warranty.
- This is a high-density memory foam designed to be durable and long-lasting.
- It is 8-inch thick, made with three layers of Foam.
- The first layer is made with 2-inch gel-infused memory foam with a ventilated design to regulate body temperature and provide a cool sleeping environment.
- It is followed by a second layer of 2-inch comfort foam and another layer of the 4-inch thick high-density foam base.
- Classic Brands is proud to present this extra thick and luxurious foam mattress that consists of three layers of soft foams on top of a thick layer of high-density foam.
- Ventilated gel foam interspersed between memory foam makes for a breathable mattress that stays fresh all night long.
- This mattress is adjustable bed-based, allowing you to use it on a reclining bed and sit comfortably at any angle you desire.
- Antimicrobial treatment of the Foam prevents a build-up of bacteria and other undesirable microscopic organisms in the mattress.
- The memory foam in the mattress soothes pressure points and takes comfort to the next level!
- As a bonus, this mattress is dust mite-proof, hypoallergenic, and comes with two free pillows.
- This 12-inch hybrid mattress is made with an individually wrapped pocket coil resting under a later body-hugging memory foam.
- The top layer has reinforced Edge Support to ensure the mattress never sags or bottoms out.
- It is clinically tested to be free from heavy metals, PBDEs, TCEP, TDCPP, formaldehyde, flame retardants, and many other biological hazards.
- Experience perfect motion control when you get onto this mattress without disturbing anyone on the other side of the bed.
- The individually wrapped spring system makes for an entirely breathable and 100% silent night of sleep.
- Royal-Pedic is one of the world’s leading mattress brands, and many people believe their mattresses are “worth every penny!”
- The signature double heat tempered Royal-flex innerspring system is inherent inside this mattress, contouring your body with unmatched comfort.
- In between the coils, layered organic cotton stuffing has been packed flat by expert craftsmen at Royal-Pedic HQ.
- The mattress’s overall design was crafted in Switzerland by leading mattress makers.
- Royal-Pedic mattresses hold up to 85% more coils than the average innerspring mattress does, making it 100% more comfortable.
- The sturdy metal frame offers excellent edge support.
- This mattress is only 8 inches thick but is one of the firmest Royal-Pedic mattresses – you can call in and make custom alterations should you require something softer.
- The Zinus mattress has a comfortable top layer of responsive memory foam and a very sturdy center, pocketed coils, which are ideal for heavier individuals.
- Because heavier individual tens to sweat more and overheat faster, there is cooling gel infusions, as well as charcoal and green tea in the mattress to keep you cool and comfortable, and to keep moisture, bacteria, and odors at bay.
- The cover is very durable and soft against the skin, made from stretch knit fabric.
- All in all, this is a sturdy and durable mattress that can handle a bit of extra weight.
- A plush and comfortable mattress with a unique design of air-infused foam layers and ventilated Gel-infused Foam on top of gel-infused memory foam, and lastly, the center of supportive and high-density base foam.
- The cooling gel will keep you cool during the night while Foam’s layers comfortably cradle your body to reduce pain and pressure points, which heavier individuals can experience.
- Furthermore, there are stretch knit durable covers that are soft and breathable so that you can enjoy an overall weightless sleeping experience.
- A heavy-duty Queen-sized mattress for the heavier individual or couple.
- It is filled with premium Gel-infused memory foam that cradles the curves of your body with cooling Gelinfusions that dissipate heat away from your body.
- The Foam is 100% CentiPUR certified for performance and safety.
- Free from Chemicals, Flame retardants, and Phthalates, and completely hypoallergenic.
- This luxury mattress is made with a blend of 5% Rayon, 30% Viscose, and 65% Polyester.
- It is designed with three layers of zone system for a medium-firm, comforting feel.
- The mattress keeps the body properly aligned and provides pressure relief and heat dissipation.
- It includes 3-inch gel-infused memory foam and a 5-inch layer of unique airflow design memory foam and delivers the perfect balance of comfort and support.
Different Types of Mattresses for Heavy People
Here we briefly discuss a few types of mattresses and their suitability for heavy people.
- Bariatric Mattresses – a bariatric mattress is specially designed for obese or hospitalized individuals. The only difference of a bariatric mattress, when compared to top-quality mattresses, is that they are designed to take a larger weight load and often are made of multiple layers that assist with eliminating shifting or bed sores. Many thick profiled foam mattresses can produce similar, if not better, effects than that of a bariatric mattress.
- Foam Mattresses – foam mattresses have taken to market by storm in recent years due to Foam’s cost-effectivity and their vast range of supportive diversity. A foam mattress is usually layered with soft and dense foams to even out the support. Memory foam mattresses allow you to sink in more, holding a unique contour of your shape, whereas high-density foam will not make any indentation when you rest atop it. On average, most heavier people prefer a thicker degree of density topped with plush foam, a combination that provides medium-firm support.
- Innerspring Mattresses – old-fashioned mattresses used to be made purely from innerspring coils. Nowadays, the coils are individually wrapped and usually topped with foam protection. This results in a very comfortable, stable, and silent mattress. A coil mattress is good for a large person if they battle to climb onto their beds as the coils will compress as you get on top of them, lowering the edge of the mattress.
- Air Mattresses – air beds and air mattresses these days are also good alternatives for those who weigh more than average. These mattresses are portable, and the best of them maintain any back support you require using an electronic pressure regulation system. The only negative side of these mattresses is that they tend to be noisy, very expensive, and if they puncture for any reason, they’re difficult to fix.
A Large Person’s Mattress Buying Considerations
These buying considerations are useful for looking at before going all out on a heavy person mattress purchase.
- Edge Support – Heavier people share a greater risk for having their mattress “bottom out” on them. Reinforced edging on a mattress can help alleviate this problem and allow you to sit on the edge of your bed without making it uneven. Edge support is also helpful for those who struggle to get into bed, providing an extra degree of stability for you to hold onto.
- Base Support – the bottom layer of the mattress is an important factor to take into consideration. If the mattress is an innerspring mattress, make sure the coils are tightly packed in the base layer. If the mattress is made from Foam, you will want at least 10 inches of high-density Foam to prevent “bottoming out.” A thicker foam base will make for very firm back support.
- Thickness – the overall thickness of the mattress plays a role in weight support too. A heavy person will likely appreciate a mattress in the range of 12 to 16 inches thick, depending on their weight and maneuverability. For most heavy people, 12-14 inches does the trick due to the compression provided by their weight (which adds to the firmness of the mattress as well).
- Sleeping Style – are you a side sleeper, or do you enjoy sleeping on your back? The general rule of thumb is that side sleepers need thicker, more plush mattresses; back sleepers appreciate thinner, firmer mattresses; and stomach sleepers enjoy a medium-soft firmness.
Features of a Good Mattresses for Heavy People
If your mattress has any of these features, consider it one of the best mattresses for heavier people!
- Adjustable Bed Compatibility – If you spend a lot of time in bed, you may want a mattress that can be bent up at an angle and used on an adjustable bed frame.
- Multiple Layers – multi-layered mattresses or hybrid mattresses tend to be more comfortable than either a plain innerspring or pure foam mattress. Combining these materials confers the benefits of both while ameliorating any negatives, resulting in superior quality.
- Antimicrobial – Many mattresses are infused with antimicrobial treatments which keep fungi and bacteria from growing. This is especially critical for those who perspire a lot at night, inviting the right conditions for bacterial growth.
- Ventilation – Foam is notorious for overheating during the night. If you want a foam mattress, make sure it has a layer or two for ventilation or that it is perforated. Innerspring and hybrid mattresses allow for hot air to leave around the mattress’s coil portion.
- Body Contouring – Memory foam mattresses take on the shape of your body and cradle you inside a unique body contour. This has multiple benefits, including pressure point relief, perfect sleeping posture, and no disturbances for either you or your partner when one of you shifts around in the night.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattress for Heavy People
|1||Ultimate Sleep Bariatric Mattress - Specially Designed Heavy People Mattress||Ultimate Sleep||97.8|
|2||Subrtex Thick - Gel Memory Foam Mattress||Subrtex||94.6|
|3||Classic Brands Gel Memory Foam Mattress - Multi-Layered Heavy People Foam Mattress||Classic Brands||96|
|4||Nodaway Silent Hybrid Mattress - Firm Edge Heavy People Hybrid Mattress||Nodaway||95|
|5||Royal Pedic Custom Made Mattress - All Organic Cotton Mattress for Heavy People||Royal Pedic||98|
|6||Zinus Memory Foam Mattress - heavy individual’s Foam Mattress||Zinus||96|
|7||Perfect Cloud Elegance - Memory Foam Mattress||Perfect Cloud||98|
|8||Brentwood Cypress - Hevay Duty Mattress||Brentwood||96|
|9||Sweetnight Store Breeze - Medium Firm Mattress||Sweetnight Store||95.4|
Table of Contents
- Reviews: Best Heavy People Mattress
- Ultimate Sleep® Bariatric Mattress Specially Designed Heavy People Mattress
- Subrtex® Thick Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Classic Brands® Gel Memory Foam Mattress Multi-Layered Heavy People Foam Mattress
- Nodaway® Silent Hybrid Mattress Firm Edge Heavy People Hybrid Mattress
- Royal Pedic® Custom Made Mattress All Organic Cotton Mattress for Heavy People
- Zinus® Memory Foam Mattress heavy individual’s Foam Mattress
- Perfect Cloud® Elegance Memory Foam Mattress
- Brentwood® Cypress Hevay Duty Mattress
- Sweetnight Store® Breeze Medium Firm Mattress
- Different Types of Mattresses for Heavy People
- A Large Person’s Mattress Buying Considerations
- Features of a Good Mattresses for Heavy People
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattress for Heavy People