Finding the best mattress for your kids is one of the most worthwhile investments you can make as a parent.
Find out more on how to choose the best mattress for your children below, what features your kid’s mattress should have, as well as checking out our best selection of premium mattresses for kids.
Kids Mattress Sizes & Body Development
From 5 years of age and up, you will want to make a sound investment in a mattress for your children that will last. This is critical to pair with the understanding that your child will grow and develop, changing shape and sizes as they mature. The best mattress for kids is one that can accommodate all of these changes, provide perfect spinal support, as well as last for a good 10 or more years.
There are three main kids mattress sizes that you can look at purchasing:
- Twin and Twin XL – Twin size mattresses are commonly the smallest mattress size, approximately the size of a single bed. Twin and Twin XL are both usually in the same price range and the best budget-friendly choice for kids mattresses, however, they may not be big enough to accommodate for all stages of growth and development a child goes through, and they may need replacement.
- Full – A full sized mattress is extra wide and usually a bit more expensive than twin and twin XL mattresses. Full size mattresses confer additional advantages, such as being large enough to accommodate your child until they are much older. Many parents also enjoy that while their child is getting used to sleeping in a bigger bed, there is ample space on a full mattress for the parent to sit with the child, read stories with them and so on.
Kids Mattress Types By Sleeping Position
How firm or how soft a kids mattress should be depends on the position in which your child sleeps in. At an early age, most children have a good idea of the way they like to sleep, and this will determine the best kind of mattress for them.
- Back Sleepers – Back sleepers are likely to develop healthy back postures and receive the fewest problems, as long as their mattress is neither too hard or too soft. A layered foam mattress with high-density foam or springs at the bottom as well as skinny layers of comfort and memory foam at the top is ideal.
- Side Sleepers – Side sleepers are the most sensitive sleepers and often enjoy the softest mattresses possible. It is a good idea to get a mattress your child can sink into, but if it’s too soft, the spine can be displaced. Look for thicker layers of memory and comfort foam in a side sleeper mattress with a lesser layer of high-density foam. Hybrid mattresses (a combo of springs and foam) are perfect for side sleepers.
- Stomach Sleepers – Stomach sleepers need the most degree of support and require firm mattresses. If your child is a stomach sleeper, it is advised that you try to discourage them from sleeping in this position, as it can lead to the most back problems later in life. The spine gets placed out of alignment very easily, especially if they sleep on a big pillow or raise their leg up. If your child insists on sleeping in this position, try to encourage them to use a flat pillow or no pillow at all to help ease pressure on the spine.
- Sleep Position Shifters – If your child shifts through more than one of these sleeping positions throughout the night, then get a medium firm mattress that provides more back support than not to cover all bases.
Best Mattress Features for Kids
The below list is a brief discussion of five of the best kids mattress features and why you need them.
- Raised Sides – This feature is appropriate for very young kids that have just made the transition from a crib into an “adult bed.” The raised sides can emulate the feeling of being in a crib and allow for the child to feel secure while also preventing them from falling out.
- Multiple Layers – A mattress that combines multiple layers, like a hybrid mattress, is often more effective at providing the best back support.
- Temperature Control – Since many mattresses on the market are made using foam, it is important to ensure the mattress has a form of temperature control otherwise your child could wake up from overheating in the night. Ventilation layers, perforation, innerspring, and cooling material infusions are all ways that mattress manufacturers have included to prevent this problem from occurring.
- Certified Foam – Keep an eye out for foam certifications such as CertiPUR-US, which ensure that the product has been checked and certified free of harmful chemicals that can affect your child’s growth and development.
- Durability – The warranty of a mattress will indicate for how long the mattress will last. It is worthwhile spending a bit more on a mattress that will last the full duration of your child’s growth phase until they are ready to get a new larger mattress.
Reviews: The Best Kids’ Mattress
Here below are some of the best mattresses for kids, most of which are in an affordable price range.
- This mattress is an ideal mattress for the kid that likes to switch positions, covering perfect posture from every angle.
- Two layers of quality high-density foam sandwich in an impressive 7 inches of 15 gauge springs which move to conform to your child’s body shape.
- The mattress is covered in a soft, breathable material that has a fine knit and allows the skin to sweat naturally without overheating.
- The ridged pattern on the mattress provides pressure point relief and also encourages a healthy posture development.
- This mattress has been CertiPUR-US certified and is made with low VOC foam that is free from PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants and more!
- My Green Mattress prides themselves in making environmentally clean, healthy and organic mattresses.
- This mattress is non-toxic and safe for kids to sleep in, made using organic cotton batting layers on top of pocketed spring coils for optimal support and comfort.
- GOTS certified organic and free from harmful toxins, flame retardants heavy metals and more.
- Covered in Eco wool underneath a moisture-wicking cover which acts as a fire barrier as well as additional padding, comfort, and antimicrobial protection.
- Upon purchase, you receive a 100-night sleep trial to ensure your child is satisfied.
- Made to last, this mattress comes included with a 10-year warranty.
- This 5 inch mattress has been well constructed for those that need a firmer level of support, such as back or stomach sleepers.
- The top layer is made of well-ventilated memory foam that has been infused with cooling gel so that your kids can sleep without disturbance.
- The bottom layer consists of 4 inches of high-density foam to provide the best back support needed to prevent later back problems.
- The mattress cover is machine washable and removable, making it easy to maintain the mattress even if your child wets the bed.
- This mattress is incredibly durable and comes inclusive with a 25-year warranty!
- This mattress is ideal for the child that is sensitive or susceptible to allergies, being infused with antimicrobial and antioxidant green tea.
- The base layer of the mattress provides steadfast support, ideal for stomach sleepers and contoured for breathability.
- The top layer consists of memory foam, which comfortably conforms to your child’s shape and maintains a good posture all night long.
- The mattress also includes an infusion of castor seed oil, which helps to control for odor as well as bacteria naturally.
- CertiPUR-US certified to be durable, comfortable and free from chemicals or flame retardants.
- For those parents who’s kids are struggling with the idea of an adult bed, this air mattress is perfect!
- This mattress is the ideal kids camping mattress, including raised sides to provide comfort, security and to prevent falling out the bed.
- If your child needs to stay over at a friend for the night, this mattress is easily transportable in a tog bag.
- Comes inclusive with a pump to accurately allow you to get the mattress to your child’s preferred firmness levels.
- Comes with a perfectly fitted removable cover that you can wash in the washing machine without a hassle.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattresses for Kids
|1||Signature Sleep Hybrid Mattress - High Density Coil Mattress for Kids||Signature Sleep||98|
|2||My Green Mattress Luxury Organic Mattress - Safe Organic Mattress for Kids||My Green Mattress||97|
|3||Lucid Gel Infused Foam Mattress - Memory Foam Kids Mattress with Cooling Gel||Lucid||96|
|4||Zinus Green Tea Mattress - Green Tea Infused Mattress for Kids||Zinus||97|
|5||Aero Portable Kids Mattress - Blow Up Air Mattress for Kids||Aero||96|
Table of Contents
- Kids Mattress Sizes & Body Development
- Kids Mattress Types By Sleeping Position
- Best Mattress Features for Kids
- Reviews: The Best Kids’ Mattress
- Signature Sleep® Hybrid Mattress High Density Coil Mattress for Kids
- My Green Mattress® Luxury Organic Mattress Safe Organic Mattress for Kids
- Lucid® Gel Infused Foam Mattress Memory Foam Kids Mattress with Cooling Gel
- Zinus® Green Tea Mattress Green Tea Infused Mattress for Kids
- Aero® Portable Kids Mattress Blow Up Air Mattress for Kids
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Mattresses for Kids