Organic mattress shopping can be confusing, especially if you don’t understand what different organic labels mean.
In this best organic mattress buyer’s guide, we’ll let you in on a few organic mattresses buying precautions, including what organic mattress labels truly mean, what materials are safe, as well as what some of the features are to look out for.
What Materials Are Safe In the Best Organic Mattress?
Organic mattresses are made using a large variety of all-natural materials. The safest organic mattresses usually have a steel or wood box frame. So, inside this frame, the mattress is usually stuffed with wool or organic cotton, packed firm in between individually wrapped spring coils. Moreover, organic mattresses often use wool as a flame-resistant barrier, which meets all legal standards and requirements.
Some manufacturers of quality organic mattresses have successfully incorporated foam into their mattresses. Also, foam mattresses bring about much controversy, as the ordinary chemical additives used to treat them have produced adverse health effects. In an organic mattress, the foam or latex has been made using organic rubber and has undergone the Talalay process. This ensures that the foam has been treated with fewer chemicals. However, some people are still allergic to it. For the safest organic mattress with the best back support, a foam spring hybrid in which the foam is wrapped in a thick natural layer tends to be the best solution.
An Explanation of Organic Mattress Labels & Certifications
When browsing for the best green mattresses, we see all these labels such as “organic,” “100% organic”, “natural,” “eco-friendly,” “CertiPUR Certified,” and so on. While these terms or certifications each look attractive, they each have a different meaning regarding your mattress.
- Organic – Organic does not refer to a fully organic natural product in many cases. An organic mattress can technically be made of anything and wrapped in organic cotton covering. This still allows the manufacturers to label it as organic legally and says nothing about the content of chemicals added to the product.
- 100% Organic – this is a term used for products that are indeed made of 100% organic materials. Look out for this label on your mattress.
- Natural – just like organic, natural is used in products where only a portion of the ingredients are natural. Natural also does not mean it’s organic; it just means it’s of nature. In other words, all latex technically comes from nature and is natural, even though it has been excessively refined and, in most cases, steeped in flame retardants, heavy metals, and other toxic ingredients.
- GOTS – also known as the Global Organic Textile Standard, GOTS certification requires that a mattress is made up of at least 95% organic materials. GOTS certification also means that the mattress is free from polyurethane, flame retardants, and other harmful compounds.
- GOLS – GOLS stands for the Global Organic Latex Standard. This certification ensures the mattress comprises 95% or more organic latex.
- CertiPUR-US – if a mattress is CertiPUR-US certified, it means that all the polyurethane-based foam in the mattress is free from certain chemical substances that are unhealthy for us. This certification does not prove the absence of formaldehyde from a mattress.
- Greenguard – if a mattress has been green guard certified, it means that it emits little to no greenhouse gas emissions, formaldehyde, and other volatile compounds. Greenguard gold is the same, with stricter certification requirements and lower emission quantities.
Features of a Good Organic Mattress
Have a peek at some of the top organic mattress characteristics that have shaped the face of natural sleeping for good!
- Waterproof – organic materials can rot more quickly when they get wet than synthetic materials. It’s a good idea to invest in a waterproof organic mattress for yourself if you make a mess frequently.
- Dual Layers – the more layers in your mattress, the better for your back. Packed organic cotton is quite dense and is often better when accompanied by wool or springs. Organic latex mattresses have different densities, which help support the back when layered together.
- Foam Infusions – if your organic mattress has foam or latex, these compounds can be infused with natural ingredients such as green tea, charcoal, or essential oils.
- Dust Mite Resistant – some of the best organic mattresses are bed bug proof or dust mite resistant, making it difficult for bed bugs to build a home.
- Pressure Point Relief – quilted or contoured organic mattresses will offer the best pressure point relief, helping to alleviate back pain, neck problems, or hip discomfort.
Reviews: The Best Organic Mattress
Have a look at our superior organic mattress selection below and click the one you like the most!
- Founded by John-Thomas Marino & Daehee Park in 2013, Tuft & Needle’s T&N Adaptive foam mattress is soft in comfort with bounce and support.
- This American-made mattress is perfect for all kinds of sleepers thanks to the T&N Adaptive foam. Moreover, it doesn’t let you ‘sink in’ and ‘sleep hot.’
- It provides localized bounce and the right amount of relief where pressure builds up the most.
- Tuft & Needle mattresses are CertiPUR-US certified, ensuring them to be one of the best green mattresses that are made without harsh flame retardants and chemicals.
- It also comes with STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX and GREENGUARD Gold certifications.
- Need a 100-Night Sleep Trial? Tuft ships the mattress to your door in a box.
- Geared toward comfort and cooling, this latex mattress comes with GREENGUARD Gold Certification and is polyfoam-, synthetic latex foam-, and blended latex foam-free.
- On the exterior, it has 100% organic cotton. Whereas on the inside, it has a cover made from New Zealand wool.
- The cotton offers the utmost comfortable sleep, whereas the wool regulates the body temperature for a good night’s sleep. The wool is naturally fire-protectant, too.
- If you have a strong preference for firmness, this natural latex mattress allows you to choose between soft, medium, and firm.
- The mattress is available in three forms – soft, medium, and firm. All three varieties offer great motion isolation. Remember, it offers low to medium degrees of bounce.
- This is a superior quality organic Latex mattress.
- Ideal for side sleepers or those who wish to rid themselves of back pain.
- The cover consists of an all-natural eco-wool sewed onto organic cotton, entirely breathable and hypoallergenic.
- The cotton covering has been certified with GOTS and is 100% pure organic cotton.
- The mattress meets flame barrier federal requirements without harmful chemicals and flame retardants.
- Happsy Organic Mattress is made with 100% GOTS certified organic cotton, which means its fibers are grown without the use of pesticides or chemicals.
- In addition, it is CertiPUR-US® Certified, which means it meets strict standards in terms of content and quality.
- Besides, the mattress passes all government flammability requirements and maintains UL/GREENGUARD certifications for low chemical emissions.
- It also has unique, organic latex and encased coils that cradle your body, relieving pressure points for a good night’s sleep.
- The Oliver Smith’s 100% natural organic cover and ventilated cooling memory foam provide a comfortable sleeping environment, while the durable springs ensure a long-lasting mattress.
- Besides, it has the perfect balance of firmness and softness, making it ideal for people with back issues.
- With over 500 ratings, this organic mattress is a high-quality product at a reasonable price.
- Also, this product is 100% Green Foam Certified.
- This is a “one of a kind” 100% organic futon mattress made with packed wool and cotton that have been wrapped in a twill covering.
- The quilted design ensures firm back support and is especially ideal for stomach sleepers or back sleepers.
- Roll this mattress up and take it traveling with you with ease.
- It can be used on a couch, a bed, or a futon.
- The wool component of the mattress makes it moisture-wicking and entirely breathable. The mattress regulates temperature, keeping it cool in Summer and hot in Winter.
- This mattress is made from Certi-Pur-US memory foam, infused with green tea to ensure a soothing night’s rest.
- Covered in a premium organic cotton cover, the mattress remains hypoallergenic, soft, and breathable.
- Memory foam will create a unique contour of your body, allowing you to sink in and hold a great posture all night long.
- Infused with green tea for antimicrobial effects, as well as to help keep your immune system strong.
- The mattress will last over a decade and comes included with a 12-year warranty.
- The mattress’s bottom layer is made of a firmer foam for the best possible back support.
- The Oliver & Smith mattress has a multi-layer design, built to provide customers with a luxurious sleeping experience.
- Moreover, the mattress’s cover is made with organic cotton and flaunts an innovative ventilated fabric pattern that ensures temperature regulation.
- Therefore, this mattress is beneficial for people who experience “night sweats” and back issues.
- The organic mattress is delivered compressed and safely sealed in a box for easy moving.
- A firm filling three-inch Latex surface makes it one of the best organic mattress
- It is very comfortable and resilient.
- The all-natural and organic latex is ventilated for better airflow and breathability.
- The latex will conform to your body weight, shape, and heat to relieve pressure points and keep you cool.
- The TENCEL blend fabric cover helps regulate temperatures and controls moisture effectively.
- You can use an extra Plush and organic ViscoSoft Bamboo Pillowtop mattress pad to enhance your mattress more naturally.
- Bamboo is naturally cooling, breathable, and absorbs moisture effectively, along with being completely safe and hypoallergenic.
- Made from plush bamboo and rayon layers for soft and luxury comfort with 18 inch deep pockets and an elastic skirt for a better fit.
- Designed as a cooling mattress pad that is breathable and will help to disperse body weight more effectively.
- The Mango Firm King Natural Mattress is a 100% organic cotton mattress made with GOTS certified organic cotton and infused with natural beeswax.
- Also, the cover of this bed contains no harmful chemicals or pesticides, making it safe for your health and the environment.
- Moreover, this eco-friendly mattress is designed to be firm yet soft and comfortable for the perfect night’s sleep.
- This product is hypoallergenic, anti-microbial, and dust mite resistant.
- Featuring a multi-layered design to provide utmost comfort at night, Oliver and Smith’s mattress comprises 100% green foam-certified foam.
- The top cover made of organic cotton provides ample ventilation, so you stay cool and have a luxe sleeping experience.
- The 6” cooling comfort memory foam is nontoxic. The Euro pillow top in the mattress ensures adequate softness.
- Ideal for people with lower back pain, neck pain, or spinal discomfort. So, get your hands on it ASAP. It is one of the softest organic mattresses out there.
- When compared to the competitor brands, this sturdy, comfortable mattress is super affordable, too.
- Perhaps the most comfortable mattress on this list is that my Green Mattress’s innerspring crib mat is handcrafted using GOTS certified organic cotton.
- Featuring Oeko-Tex certified 100% Natural Eco-wool quilted cover and organic coconut pad, the mattress is firm, comfortable, and will not elicit any allergic reactions.
- This kid-friendly mattress also features heavy-duty 150 coils innerspring for better support and sound sleep.
- Its eco wool is a natural flame retardant, so; you don’t have to worry about toxic chemical exposure.
- The GREENGUARD Gold Certified mattress is certified free of lead and polyurethane foams.
- An organic and non-oxic hypoallergenic mattress that meets GOTS standards.
- Organic wool and cotton provide cooling comfort and are highly breathable.
- Ideal for children and adults and completely safe and chemical-free.
- Made only from standard health and organic materials that are all-natural and safe.
- A non-toxic organic and natural latex-filled mattress.
- Holds up to strict purity and quality standards.
- A hybrid firm mattress with latex and coils for support.
- Cashmere wool is used for the cover of the mattress.
- From Linenspa, the Four layers of latex foam that create this super soft organic mattress is certified and all-natural.
- A Hybrid design with supportive spring coils.
- Completely non-toxic and hypoallergenic design.
- Latex is temperature neutral and will sleep cooler than general foam mattresses.
Comparison Table: The Top Rated Organic Mattress
Organic Mattress vs. Traditional Mattress
Traditional mattresses include innerspring beds with multiple foam or fiber layers, memory foam beds, latex mattresses, and waterbeds. Most of them have polyurethane foams, polyester fabrics, vinyl, or pressboards.
Additionally, traditional mattresses undergo vigorous bleaching and dying. Sometimes, they get treated with antimicrobials, flame retardants, and petroleum-based chemicals. In turn, these compounds release potentially harmful volatile compounds into the air.
These chemicals trigger skin and respiratory allergies and many other health issues over time. An organic mattress comes into the equation as a healthy option.
Organic mattresses come with innerspring beds with organic padding made of plant-based poly foams, organic cotton, wool, or latex from organically-grown trees.
Benefits Of Choosing Good Natural Organic Mattress
Hypoallergenic materials: Organically grown wool and latex are hypoallergenic as they aren’t treated with toxic chemicals or pesticides.
No high-VOC chemicals: Organically sourced raw materials ensure your bedding is free of VOC chemicals that may cause long-term health problems.
No microbial growth: Chances for moisture build-up and fungal growth are negligible in organic wool mattresses. Similarly, organic latex is resistant to dust mites.
Flame resistant: Organic wool mattresses won’t pose ignition or flaming threat as it has a low flame speed. Plus, it self-extinguishes and doesn’t emit dangerous chemicals when burned.
Less impact on the environment: Pesticide-free, bleach-free, and cruelty-free manufacturing practices are good for Mother Nature, too.
Know These Certifications Before You Buy
As you may already know, terms such as ‘natural,’ ‘organic,’ ‘eco-friendly,’ or ‘100% Pure’ are unregulated. While they sound great, each has a different meaning and guidelines regarding mattress quality.
For example, for any mattress to be certified by USDA, it must be 95% organic and meet standardization criteria.
Here are the important organic/green certifications:
- GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard): GOTS certified mattresses will contain more than 95% certified organic fibers.
- GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard): This is a third-party standard for an organic latex mattress. The certification requires the latex used to be at least 95% organic.
- OEKO-TEX Standard 100: This standard does not evaluate mattresses for being organic or natural but rather ensures they have not exceeded emission limits for VOCs, formaldehyde, and PBDEs.
- GREENGUARD: It is an independent certification that demands environmental tests for about 360+ harmful chemicals. The certification standard also specifies that a mattress should be low in VOCs, phthalates, formaldehyde, and other harmful toxins.
- CRADLE TO CRADLE: A standardization that ensures the organic latex, wool, or fiber does not contain chemicals that threaten the environment.
- Eco-Institut: An independent German certification organization that evaluates latex mattress quality.
Table of Contents
- What Materials Are Safe In the Best Organic Mattress?
- An Explanation of Organic Mattress Labels & Certifications
- Features of a Good Organic Mattress
- Reviews: The Best Organic Mattress
- Tuft & Needle® T&N Adaptive Foam Organic Mattress
- Sleep On Latex® Natural Latex Mattress
- Pure Green Mattress® Organic Cotton Latex Mattress Organic Cotton Latex Mattress
- Happsy® California King Best Organic Mattress
- Oliver Smith® Twin Plush Organic Mattress
- White Lotus Home® Organic Cotton Futon Organic Cotton Wool Futon Mattress
- Keetsa® Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Organic Cotton Green Tea Foam Mattress
- Oliver&Smith® Queen Organic Cotton Mattress
- Lucid® Latex Organic Natural Mattress
- ViscoSoft® Bamboo Organic Mattress Pad
- Mango Mattress® King Firm Natural Mattress
- Smith and Oliver® Organic Cotton Cool Memory Foam & Pocket Spring Mattress
- My Green Mattress® GOTS Organic Cotton Crib Mattress
- Naturepedic® Verse Organic Non-Toxic Mattress
- SR Red Sunrising Bedding® Natural Latex Organic Mattress
- Lenenspa® Latex Organic Mattress
- Comparison Table: The Top Rated Organic Mattress
- Organic Mattress vs. Traditional Mattress
- Benefits Of Choosing Good Natural Organic Mattress
- Know These Certifications Before You Buy