Organic mattress shopping can be confusing, especially if you don’t understand what different organic labels mean.
In this organic mattress buyer’s guide, we’ll let you in on a few organic mattress buying precautions; including what organic mattress labels truly mean, what materials are safe, as well as what some of the best organic mattress features are to look out for.
What Materials Are Safe In My Organic Mattress?
Organic mattresses are made using a large variety of all natural materials. The safest organic mattresses usually have a steel or wood box frame. Inside this frame, the mattress is usually stuffed with either wool or organic cotton, which is packed firm in between individually wrapped spring coils. Organic mattresses often use wool as a flame resistant barrier which meets all legal standards and requirements.
Some manufacturers of quality organic mattresses have successfully incorporated foam into their mattresses. Foam mattresses bring about much controversy, as the ordinary chemical additives used to treat them have been known to produce adverse health effects. In an organic mattress, the foam or latex have been made using organic rubber, as well as having undergone the Talalay process. This ensures that the foam has been treated with fewer chemicals. However, some people are still allergic to it. For the safest organic mattress with the best back support, a foam spring hybrid in which the foam is wrapped in a thick natural layer tends to be the best solution.
An Explanation of Organic Mattress Labels & Certifications
When browsing for mattresses, we see all these labels such as “organic,” “100% organic”, “natural,” “eco-friendly,” “CertiPUR Certified,” and so on. While these terms or certifications each look attractive, they each have a different meaning regarding your mattress.
- Organic – Organic does not refer to a fully organic natural product in many cases. An organic mattress can technically be made of anything and wrapped in a part organic cotton covering. This still allows the manufacturers to label it as organic legally and says nothing about the content of chemicals added to the product.
- 100% Organic – this is a term used for products that are indeed made of 100% organic materials. Look out for this label on your mattress.
- Natural – just like organic, natural is used in products where only a portion of the ingredients are natural. Natural also does not mean it’s organic; it just means it’s of nature. In other words, all latex technically comes from nature and is natural, even though it has been excessively refined and in most cases, steeped in flame retardants, heavy metals and other toxic ingredients.
- GOTS – also known as the Global Organic Textile Standard, GOTS certification requires that a mattress is made up of at least 95% organic materials. GOTS certification also means that the mattress is free from polyurethane, flame retardants and other harmful compounds.
- GOLS – GOLS stands for the Global Organic Latex Standard. This certification ensures the mattress is made up of 95% or more organic latex.
- CertiPUR-US – if a mattress is CertiPUR-US certified, it means that all the polyurethane based foam in the mattress is free from certain chemical substances that are unhealthy for us. This certification does not prove the absence of formaldehyde from a mattress.
- Greenguard – if a mattress has been green guard certified, it means that it emits little to no greenhouse gas emissions, formaldehyde, and other volatile compounds. Greenguard gold is the same, with stricter certification requirements and lower emission quantities.
The Best Organic Mattress Features
Have a peek at some of the top organic mattress characteristics that have shaped the face of natural sleeping for good!
- Waterproof – organic materials can rot more quickly when they get wet than synthetic materials. It’s a good idea to invest in a waterproof organic mattress for yourself if you make a mess frequently.
- Dual Layers – the more layers in your mattress, the better for your back. Packed organic cotton is quite dense and is often better when accompanied with wool or springs. Organic latex mattresses have different densities which help to support the back when layered together.
- Foam Infusions – if your organic mattress has foam or latex, these compounds can be infused with natural ingredients such as green tea, charcoal or essential oils.
- Dust Mite Resistant – some of the best organic mattresses are bed bug proof or dust mite resistant, making it difficult for bed bugs to build a home.
- Pressure Point Relief – quilted or contoured organic mattresses will offer the best pressure point relief, helping to alleviate back pain, neck problems or hip discomfort.
Reviews: The Best Organic Mattress
Have a look at our superior organic mattress selection below and click the one you like the most!
- This is a superior quality organic hybrid mattress that harnesses the power of innersprings beneath an organic latex canopy to give your back unmatched support.
- Ideal for side sleepers or those who wish to rid themselves of back pain.
- The coils have three separate intensity zones, each being individually wrapped and grouped into strategically-placed segments, ensuring an utterly silent sleep.
- The cover consists of all natural eco-wool which has been sewed onto organic cotton, being entirely breathable and hypoallergenic.
- The cotton covering has been certified with GOTS and is 100% pure organic cotton.
- The mattress meets flame barrier federal requirements without the use of harmful chemicals and flame retardants.
- If your child is in need of a 100% organic mattress that’s chemical free, then this pure organic cotton innerspring mattress is perfect!
- Made from two different densities of 100% organic cotton, the mattress is firm, comfortable and will not cause any allergic reactions.
- Individually wrapped coils are packed between
- The mattress is entirely reversible, allowing you to choose between the plush quilted side or the firmer smooth side.
- The smooth side of this mattress is waterproof, preventing stains and fungus from developing on it.
- Comes inclusive of a 10-year warranty.
- Royal Pedic’s mattress making reputation precedes them, being one of the most luxurious mattress brands of our time.
- This organic mattress is made using 100% organic cotton, wool and many coil springs to create the perfectly balanced Posturepedic organic mattress.
- The innerspring system was specially designed in Switzerland, incorporating 85% more coils than the average mattress.
- The organic cotton is packed plushly in layers around the springs to form this firm 8 inch mattress.
- The quilts in the mattress confer additional pressure relief, allowing your back to feel fully rejuvenated the next day.
- Royal Pedic mattresses are custom made to suit your needs and may take up to 2 weeks for delivery to be made.
- This is a “one of a kind” 100% organic futon mattress made with packed wool and cotton that have been wrapped in a twill covering.
- The quilted design ensures for firm back support and is especially ideal for stomach sleepers or back sleepers.
- Roll this mattress up and take it traveling with you with ease.
- Can be used on a couch, a bed or as a futon.
- The wool component of the mattress makes it moisture wicking and entirely breathable. The mattress regulates temperature, keeping it cool in Summer and hot in Winter.
- This mattress is made from certiPUR-US memory foam which has been infused with green tea to ensure a soothing night’s rest.
- Covered in a premium organic cotton cover, the mattress remains hypoallergenic, soft and breathable.
- Memory foam will create a unique contour of your body, allowing you to sink in and hold a great posture all night long.
- Infused with green tea for antimicrobial effects, as well as to help keep your immune system strong.
- The mattress will last over a decade and comes included with a 12-year warranty.
- The bottom layer of the mattress is made of a firmer foam for the best possible back support.
Comparison Table: The Top Rated Organic Mattress
|1||My Green Mattress Organic Cotton Latex Mattress - Organic Cotton Innerspring Latex Mattress||My Green Mattress||96|
|2||Naturepedic 2-in-1 Organic Mattress - Reversible Medium Firm Organic Cotton Mattress||Naturepedic||95|
|3||Royal Pedic Organic Cotton Spring Mattress - Organic Cotton Mattress for Firm Back Support||Royal Pedic||97|
|4||White Lotus Home Organic Cotton Futon - Organic Cotton Wool Futon Mattress||White Lotus Home||98|
|5||Keetsa Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress - Organic Cotton Green Tea Foam Mattress||Keetsa||95|
Table of Contents
- What Materials Are Safe In My Organic Mattress?
- An Explanation of Organic Mattress Labels & Certifications
- The Best Organic Mattress Features
- Reviews: The Best Organic Mattress
- My Green Mattress® Organic Cotton Latex Mattress Organic Cotton Innerspring Latex Mattress
- Naturepedic® 2-in-1 Organic Mattress Reversible Medium Firm Organic Cotton Mattress
- Royal Pedic® Organic Cotton Spring Mattress Organic Cotton Mattress for Firm Back Support
- White Lotus Home® Organic Cotton Futon Organic Cotton Wool Futon Mattress
- Keetsa® Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Organic Cotton Green Tea Foam Mattress
- Comparison Table: The Top Rated Organic Mattress