If you are looking to preserve the integrity of your mattress, you are in the right place!
Read further to learn more about the best features of mattress protectors, when you really should buy one, and what the difference between a mattress topper and protector is.
What’s the Difference Between a Mattress Protector and a Mattress Pad?
There are many differences between a mattress topper and a mattress protector. A mattress topper is a bit like a mattress extension and is usually needed for an additional layer of comfort. A mattress pad will not keep your mattress protected or free from bed bugs and other undesirables. When you buy a mattress topper, you will still need a mattress protector to cover it along with your mattress; otherwise, both will suffer over time.
A mattress protector is usually a thick fitted sheet that does not have any stuffing or padding. A mattress pad is usually quilted and very thick or in the format of a foam mat that gives extra bulk to the mattress. Many mattress protectors are also waterproof, whereas a mattress topper or pad will just soak right through to your mattress. A mattress protector can also be washed in the washing machine, but you don’t ever want to throw your mattress pad in there, or it will get ruined!
When Does One Need A Mattress Protector?
Everyone should have a mattress protector for some reasons:
- Keeping Your Mattress Clean – the main reason that all mattress protectors have in common is wanting to keep your mattress and mattress pads in pristine condition. A mattress protector fits underneath your bed linen and on top of your mattress, catching any sweat and preventing spills, dirt, and other mess from seeping down to your mattress.
- Preventing Allergies – A less known reason for needing a mattress protector is to prevent allergies from building up. Many mattresses have components that people are allergic to, especially those that have been treated with flame retardants and the like. Spores, Bacteria, and other allergies like dust or pollen like to get trapped inside mattresses, whereas a mattress protector prevents them from coming into contact with you. Likewise, if you tramp any of those things into bed with you, you can wash them out of the mattress protector, instead of having an accumulation in your mattress.
- Bed Bug Protection – mattress protectors that have a zipper are also known as encasements. These will protect you not only from the above problems but bed bugs and dust mites too!
- Waterproofing – not all mattress protectors are waterproof (although all of the ones on this page are). A waterproof mattress protector prevents any water or liquids from penetrating to the mattress beneath it. This is essential for children or patients who wet their beds frequently, or just for clumsier individuals who tend to spill beverages in bed. With a waterproof mattress protector, you can simply pop it in the washing machine, no harm done.
Characteristics of a Good Waterproof Mattress Protectors
The best mattress protectors have a few, if not all, of the following features:
- High Thread Count – the higher the thread count is on any sheet, the more comfortable you will find it to sleep on. Hotel quality linen typically have a thread count of between 300 and 600 to give a good range to look for.
- Air Flow Technology – urethane or vinyl are some materials used in the making of mattress protectors. Hence it is important to make sure your mattress protector is breathable, or it will cause you to sweat (even though it will ironically protect your mattress from that).
- Waterproof Barrier – not all mattress protectors are waterproof. The best waterproof mattress protectors will allow your skin to breathe while still letting liquids run off the mattress, similar to a tent!
- Tight Fitting – you don’t want a mattress protector that falls off the bed when you roll around in the night. Make sure the mattress protector has a zipper or at least a stretch fit finish on the edges.
- Double Barrier – a mattress protector with a double barrier confers twice the protection and comfort than that of a single barrier.
Reviews: The Best Waterproof Mattress Protector
Here is a list of the best waterproof mattress protectors to help keep your mattress from getting ruined when you make a mess!
- This waterproof mattress protector consists of two very soft hypoallergenic layers to keep that mattress of yours 100% clean.
- The top layer is made of the softest cotton with a very high hotel quality thread count.
- The bottom layer consists of a Vinyl-Free start smart barrier that will prevent any fluids from seeping down to your mattress.
- The protector is hypoallergenic, making it ideal for those who suffer from allergies to dust or foam.
- This sheet will confer protection against dust mites and other bed bugs.
- This sheet is fitted on the edges and is hyper-thin, allowing you to sleep without changing the way your mattress feels.
- This dual-layered fitted mattress protector is just the solution you need to prevent sweat and other fluids from ruining your mattress!
- 100% hypoallergenic, this protector serves to aid those with allergies.
- The dual layers allow for your skin to breathe while still preventing your mattress from becoming wet or moldy.
- Say goodbye to your old dust mite problem with this protective mattress membrane, as it stops most bed bugs from getting through to you.
- Sleep comfortably knowing that you can conveniently pop this sheet in the wash without damaging your mattress beyond cleanable repair.
- Ideal for those who suffer from respiratory diseases like asthma or skin allergies like eczema.
- Here is a top quality waterproof mattress protector that will be of great assistance to those who are extra sensitive to microparticles!
- Made from two layers, the top layer is very soft and will keep you cool all the while that you sleep.
- The second layer consists of a hypoallergenic waterproof that will prevent urine, water, coffee, sweat, and any fluids from penetrating underneath to your mattress.
- Fitted to stay on your mattress, this silent sheet will not slide around with you in the night.
- FDA approved as a class 1 medical device and ideal for those with respiratory conditions and allergies.
- This protector also helps to keep fungus, mold, bacteria, and bed bugs at bay.
- This mattress encasement doubles as a mattress protector for those who need serious protection from bed bugs and allergies.
- It contains a zipper and is made of 6 sides; this mattress protector will keep your entire mattress covered up and clean from dirt or fluids.
- The cotton top layer wicks moisture away, promoting restful deep sleep.
- This mattress is free from toxic chemicals and plastic compounds like phthalates and fire retardants.
- 100% hypoallergenic and anti-microbial, suitable for those who are very sensitive.
- Covers mattresses from 13 to 16 inches thick!
- Inclusive of a 10 Year Warranty.
- This is a top of the line fitted mattress protector designed to keep moisture, stains, dust, dirt, and more away from your mattress.
- This protector consists of two layers that are vinyl-free, using polyurethane to repel all liquids and pure cotton to wick moisture away.
- Perfect for pet owners who wish to keep harmful pet dander from building up in their beds.
- Keep your mattress in pristine condition, never worrying about stains or strange odors building up again.
- FDA approved of being free from harmful chemicals and hypoallergenic.
- It comes with a 10-year warranty and is made to last even longer!
- A cooling and comfortable, fully waterproof Hypoallergenic mattress protector and cover.
- Designed to fit most mattress sizes easily.
- Completely waterproof with a highly elastic skirt.
- Hypoallergenic terry bamboo top and polyurethane backing that is safe and resists all allergens.
- A 100% waterproof Mattress protector cover that repels all liquids, including sweat and odors.
- The hypoallergenic cotton terry surface and Polyurethane backing also prevent the accumulation of dust mites and allergenic.
- A fully elasticized sheet that comes in various size options with deeper pockets for a better fit.
- A twin-sided polyester fitted sheet with size options to fit your mattress.
- Completely waterproof with the latest TPU technology on the back and a polyester top.
- Hypoallergenic and chemical safe with no vinyl, or PVC, or phthalates.
- Fitted design in size options for all sized mattress.
- This mattress protector is made with the softest combed Cotton.
- It is designed to wick away moisture and keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
- The mattress cover is completely waterproof, moisture-proof, wrinkle-proof, breathable, and SGS Certified.
- It features a deep pocket and 360-degree elastic band design that fits almost all kinds of mattresses.
- This mattress protector is made with premium quality 100% non-woven Polyester fabric that makes it durable and long-lasting.
- It keeps the bed safe from bed bugs, body fluids, skin flakes, bacteria, and dust mites.
- The mattress cover is hypoallergenic, soft to the touch, and ideal for people with kids, pets, allergies, asthma, eczema, and incontinence.
- It is designed with a zipper closure and a deep pocket to fit up to a 16-inch mattress.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Waterproof Mattress Protector
Table of Contents
- What’s the Difference Between a Mattress Protector and a Mattress Pad?
- When Does One Need A Mattress Protector?
- Characteristics of a Good Waterproof Mattress Protectors
- Reviews: The Best Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Lucid® Vinyl Free Mattress Protector Waterproof Mattress Protector for Cool Sleeping
- Luna Mattress Protectors® Waterproof Protector Premium Waterproof Fitted Mattress Membrane
- Safe Rest® Superior Quality Mattress Protection Medical-Grade Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Sure Guard® Zippered Mattress Encasement Waterproof Mattress Protector with Zipper
- Sure Premium® Double Layer Mattress Protection Moisture Wicking Anti-Stain Mattress Protector
- Teemour® Waterproof Bamboo Matress Protector
- Lucid® Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Give Me® Premium Waterproof Mattress Cover
- GrLeaf® Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector
- CrystalTowels® Ultimate Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Waterproof Mattress Protector