Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
If you are looking to preserve your mattress’s integrity, you are in the right place!
Read further to learn more about mattress protectors’ best features, when you really should buy one, and what the difference between a mattress topper and a protector.
What’s the Difference Between a Mattress Protector and a Mattress Pad?
There are many differences between a mattress topper and a mattress protector. A mattress topper is like a mattress extension and is usually needed for an additional comfort layer. A mattress pad will not protect your mattress from bed bugs and other undesirables. When you buy a mattress topper, you will still need a mattress protector to cover it along with your mattress; otherwise, both will suffer over time.
A mattress protector is usually a thick fitted sheet with no stuffing or padding. A mattress pad is usually quilted and very thick or in the foam mat format, giving extra bulk to the mattress. Many mattress protectors are waterproof, whereas a mattress topper or pad will soak right through your mattress. You can also wash a mattress protector in the washing machine, but you don’t ever want to throw your mattress pad in there, or it will get ruined!
When Does One Need A Mattress Protector?
Everyone should have a mattress protector for some reasons:
- Keeping Your Mattress Clean – the main reason that all mattress protectors have in common is wanting to keep your mattress and mattress pads in pristine condition. A mattress protector fits underneath your bed linen and on top of your mattress, catching any sweat and preventing spills, dirt, and other mess from seeping down to your mattress.
- Preventing Allergies – A less known reason for needing a mattress protector is to prevent allergies from building up. Many mattresses have components that people are allergic to, especially those treated with flame retardants and the like. Spores, Bacteria, and other allergies like dust or pollen like to get trapped inside mattresses, whereas a mattress protector prevents them from coming into contact with you. Likewise, if you tramp any of those things into bed with you, you can wash them out of the mattress protector instead of having an accumulation in your mattress.
- Bed Bug Protection – mattress protectors that have a zipper are also known as encasements. These will protect you from the above problems and bed bugs and dust mites!
- Waterproofing – Unlike cooling best sheets, a waterproof mattress protector prevents any water or liquids from penetrating the mattress beneath it. This is essential for children or patients who wet their beds frequently or just for clumsier individuals who tend to spill beverages in bed. With a waterproof mattress protector, you can pop it in the washing machine, and no harm is done.
Characteristics of a Good Waterproof Mattress Protectors
The best mattress protectors have a few, if not all, of the following features:
- High Thread Count – the higher the thread count is on any sheet, the more comfortable you will find it to sleep on. Hotel quality linen typically has a thread count of between 300 and 600 to give a good range to look for.
- Air Flow Technology – urethane or vinyl are some materials used in the making of mattress protectors. Hence, it is important to make sure your mattress protector is breathable or will cause you to sweat (even though it will ironically protect your mattress from that).
- Waterproof Barrier – not all mattress protectors are waterproof. The best waterproof mattress protectors will allow your skin to breathe while still letting liquids run off the mattress, similar to a tent!
- Tight Fitting – you don’t want a mattress protector that falls off the bed when you roll around in the night. Ensure the mattress protector has a zipper or at least a stretch fit finish on the edges.
- Double Barrier – a mattress protector with a double barrier confers twice the protection and comfort than that of a single barrier.
Reviews: The Best Waterproof Mattress Protector
Here is a list of the best waterproof mattress protectors to help keep your mattress from getting ruined when you make a mess!
We hope you love the products we recommend!
So that you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- This waterproof mattress protector consists of two very soft hypoallergenic layers to keep that mattress of yours 100% clean.
- The top layer is made of the softest cotton with a very high hotel quality thread count.
- The bottom layer consists of a Vinyl-Free start smart barrier that will prevent any fluids from seeping down to your mattress.
- The protector is hypoallergenic, making it ideal for those who suffer from allergies to dust or foam.
- This sheet will confer protection against dust mites and other bed bugs.
- This sheet is fitted on the edges and is hyper-thin, allowing you to sleep without changing the way your mattress feels.
- This dual-layered fitted mattress protector is just the solution you need to prevent sweat and other fluids from ruining your mattress!
- 100% hypoallergenic, this protector serves to aid those with allergies.
- The dual layers allow your skin to breathe while still preventing your mattress from becoming wet or moldy.
- Say goodbye to your old dust mite problem with this protective mattress membrane, as it stops most bed bugs from getting through to you.
- Sleep comfortably, knowing that you can conveniently pop this sheet in the wash without damaging your mattress beyond cleanable repair.
- Ideal for those who suffer from respiratory diseases like asthma or skin allergies like eczema.
- Here is a top-quality waterproof mattress protector that will greatly assist those who are extra sensitive to microparticles!
- It is made from two layers; the top layer is very soft and will keep you cool while you sleep.
- The second layer consists of a hypoallergenic waterproof that will prevent urine, water, coffee, sweat, and any fluids from penetrating underneath your mattress.
- Fitted to stay on your mattress, this silent sheet will not slide around with you in the night.
- FDA approved as a class 1 medical device and ideal for those with respiratory conditions and allergies.
- This protector also helps keep fungus, mold, bacteria, and bed bugs at bay.
- This mattress encasement doubles as a mattress protector for those who need serious protection from bed bugs and allergies.
- It contains a zipper and is made of 6 sides; this mattress protector will keep your entire mattress covered up and clean from dirt or fluids.
- The cotton top layer wicks moisture away, promoting restful deep sleep.
- This mattress is free from toxic chemicals and plastic compounds like phthalates and fire retardants.
- 100% hypoallergenic and anti-microbial, suitable for those who are very sensitive.
- Covers mattresses from 13 to 16 inches thick!
- Inclusive of a 10 Year Warranty.
- This mattress protector is made with premium quality 100% non-woven Polyester fabric, making it durable and long-lasting.
- It keeps the bed safe from bed bugs, body fluids, skin flakes, bacteria, and dust mites.
- The mattress cover is hypoallergenic, soft to the touch, and ideal for people with kids, pets, allergies, asthma, eczema, and incontinence.
- It is designed with a zipper closure and a deep pocket to fit a 16-inch mattress.
- A cooling and comfortable, fully waterproof Hypoallergenic mattress protector and cover.
- It is esigned to fit most mattress sizes easily.
- Completely waterproof with a highly elastic skirt.
- Hypoallergenic terry bamboo top and polyurethane backing are safe and resist all allergens.
- A 100% waterproof Mattress protector cover repels all liquids, including sweat and odors.
- The hypoallergenic cotton terry surface and Polyurethane backing also prevent the accumulation of dust mites and allergenic.
- A fully elasticized sheet comes in various size options with deeper pockets for a better fit.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Waterproof Mattress Protector
|1||Lucid Vinyl Free Mattress Protector - Waterproof Mattress Protector for Cool Sleeping||Lucid||97|
|2||Luna Mattress Protectors Waterproof Protector - Premium Waterproof Fitted Mattress Membrane||Luna Mattress Protectors||97|
|3||Safe Rest Superior Quality Mattress Protection - Medical-Grade Waterproof Mattress Protector||Safe Rest||96|
|4||Sure Guard Zippered Mattress Encasement - Waterproof Mattress Protector with Zipper||Sure Guard||97|
|5||CrystalTowels Ultimate - Waterproof Mattress Protector||CrystalTowels||95.8|
|6||Teemour - Waterproof Bamboo Matress Protector||Teemour||97|
|7||Lucid Premium - Waterproof Mattress Protector||Lucid||98|
Table of Contents
- What’s the Difference Between a Mattress Protector and a Mattress Pad?
- When Does One Need A Mattress Protector?
- Characteristics of a Good Waterproof Mattress Protectors
- Reviews: The Best Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Lucid® Vinyl Free Mattress Protector Waterproof Mattress Protector for Cool Sleeping
- Luna Mattress Protectors® Waterproof Protector Premium Waterproof Fitted Mattress Membrane
- Safe Rest® Superior Quality Mattress Protection Medical-Grade Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Sure Guard® Zippered Mattress Encasement Waterproof Mattress Protector with Zipper
- CrystalTowels® Ultimate Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Teemour® Waterproof Bamboo Matress Protector
- Lucid® Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Waterproof Mattress Protector