Back then, it was the era of double-sided (a.k.a. flippable) mattress, but they sort of fizzled out for quite some time now. Luckily, still, they are some mattress brands that manufacture flippable mattress.
Read on to learn more about flippable beds, including why they matter, pros and cons, and our picks for the best flippable mattresses 2019.
Which one is better? To Flip Or Not To Flip?
Now that’s a tricky question to answer because the answer is they are both good if produced and used correctly. As with any mattress, it eventually takes the shape of the body and undergoes wear and tear over time. A flippable mattress is a solution to ensure this does not happen on only one side of the mattress. Other advantages include:
- A longer life, because the two sides can be used interchangeably according to the changing priorities.
- Wear & Tear – Because of the flipping, the wear and tear are even, which means no side is too worn out (unless you are using the mattress for quite a longer period).
- Price – Flippable mattress generally falls on the lower to middle end of the price spectrum because they are made of spring inner cores.
Flippable mattresses – Pros and Cons
Pros of the two-sided/flipped mattress are the following:
- Longer lifespan: Flipping, when done right, can prevent bed sagging. This ultimately translates into the longer lifespan of the mattress.
- Versatility: All have different firmness preferences. In fact, sleeping positions and comfort preferences may change over time. And, there comes flippable mattress!
- Affordable price: The cost of a two-sided mattress is typically no more than the cost of a one-sided model made of the same materials.
Some notable cons of flippable mattresses include:
- Limited availability: Flippable mattress sale has decreased over the past few years. So, you may have a difficult time finding a model that fits your needs and budget.
- Difficult to handle: Flippable mattresses usually weigh heavy, typically around 100 pounds or more. So, flipping/rotating them can lead to back or shoulder pain unless you have assistance.
- Doesn’t suit everyone: Due to their higher-than-average profiles, flippable mattresses may not be the best option for shorter, thin sleepers. However, some models measure 7 to 10 inches thick.
How To Choose Flippable Mattress?
These days there are fewer and fewer reliable double-sided mattresses. So narrow down your next best flippable mattress based on these factors:
Material: Most double-sided mattresses contain an innerspring, coiled construction surrounded by cotton or foam padding. This allows better distribution of weight and pressure points of your body.
Dual firmness levels: Beds with two different firmness levels are the most versatile options that will suit the needs of the widest range of sleepers. Double-sided beds are also great for guest rooms and for children whose preferences may change over time.
Durability: Another big reason to get a flippable mattress is that it can last longer.
Motion transfer: Because many share their bed with a partner or pet, choose two-sided beds that have minimal motion transfer. They will allow you to move around and get out of bed without disturbing the other person (or pet).
Risk-free trials: Okay, this is important because you should know what you are paying for. So choose the models that offer risk-free trials and, of course, excellent value for your money.
Reviews: Best Flippable Mattress
- Perhaps one of the top-selling double-sided foam mattresses, the Layla mattress, comes with two firmness options in one mattress.
- The mattress is flippable so couples can choose from a soft, comfortable side and a firm, supportive side.
- Another interesting feature is the copper-infused memory foam. The copper is antimicrobial and also prevents overheating.
- It handles motion transfer very well. The soft memory foam in it absorbs motion so that you should see almost no motion transfer.
- This one offers excellent pressure relief as well. Because of this, it should be a great buy if you and your partner are both side sleepers.
- Next up on our list is Saatva by Zenhaven Mattress, which is flippable with either side and offers two firmness levels, namely “Gentle Firm” and “Luxury Plush.”
- It is made of 100% all-natural Talalay latex for breathable and pressure-free sleep experience. Talalay latex is known for its hypoallergenic and mold-, microbe-, and dust mite-resistant properties. Plus, it is long-lasting, doesn’t break down or sag.
- It also has 100% organic New Zealand wool and organic cotton. No synthetic toxins and petroleum-based compounds are used in the manufacturing process.
- In fact, the organic cotton fabric is treated with Guardin® botanical antimicrobial fabric treatment. That means you can use it comfortably, knowing that it won’t promote any bacterial or fungal growth.
- Nest Bedding FLIP is another great two-sided mattress. It offers a medium side and a firm side, which means it will suit the stomach and back sleepers.
- Combining cooling Visco Gel support foam with 660 gauge Caliber Coil, this double-sided hybrid mattress lets you sleep comfortably.
- Made in the USA using CertiPUR-US certified foam, the mattress provides excellent support and is a perfect choice for hot-blooded sleepers. All thanks to the cooling gel support foam.
- The best part: the 30 Night Sleep Trial will give you the time you and your sleeping partner need to adjust to either firmness. And, if you decide to keep it, then you get a 10-Year Limited Warranty.
- This twin mattress with size 38x75x6 is more comfortable than a lot of other foam mattresses, which allows it to handle different sleep styles better.
- It has good edge support and provides full-body alignment from your shoulders to feet. And for peace of mind, it meets all Federal Flammability Standards as well.
- Sure, it is the expensive flippable mattress on this list, but you won’t regret the buying decision considering the excellent body support, two different firmness, and the 20-years warranty.
- If you are looking for a double-sided mattress for RV and dorm rooms, this is it.
- The Amore Flippable Mattress is another top-rated two-sided mattress that offers unmatched relax and comfort.
- It has a soft side and a medium-firm side, which ensures most sleepers will be happy with Amore Beds. As the soft side is great for the side sleepers, the firm side offers restful sleep for stomach and back sleepers.
- Its multi-layered design features proprietary FusionFlex foam, which helps with cooling. If your a hot sleeper, this mattress is a lifesaver. The remaining layers are made up of hyper-contouring transition foam, a high-resistance load-deflection foam, and comfort layers.
- Amore Double-sided mattress comes with a 100-night risk-free trial. Sleep on it for 3+ months and return it for a full refund if need be. After that, you’ll get a warranty coverage of 10 years.
- A Hybrid Gel and Memory Foam mattress with coils for additional support.
- There are two sleep surfaces that are breathable and ergonomically supportive in this flappable design.
- Features CertiPUR-certified memory foam.
- Two sleeping sides with a layer of quilting foam for a comfortable sleeping surface.
- Durable and supportive coil center with individually wrapped coils.
- Reduces motion transfer and pressure points.
- Comes compressed and rolled for easy shipping.
- A double sides memory foam mattress with microfiber for a cloudlike feel.
- It offers superb pressure relief and support.
- Green tea infused memory foam to keep the mattress fresh at all times.
- CertiPUR-certified memory foam is used for the fill.
- This high-quality innovative memory foam provides cooling sleep and the ideal balance of soft and firm.
- It is free of any harmful chemicals and is certified by GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US.
- This is an 8-inch thick mattress that provides adaptive support to the body.
- It provides medium firmness and allows for a peaceful rest.
- This mattress is composed of five layers of pocket spring.
- It features a 7.5-inch thick coil to maintain firmness that is necessary to provide support to the body and keep it aligned.
- The 1.5-inch layer of soft memory foam provides comfort, absorbs pressure, and disperses it to the springs.
- Whereas, the 1-inch thick Duraflex provides elasticity, long-lasting support, and temperature regulation.
Index Table: Top Rated Flippable Mattress
|1||Layla Sleep Memory Foam - Flippable Queen Mattress||Layla Sleep||97|
|2||Brentwood Home Saatva - Flippable Talalay latex bed||Brentwood Home||97|
|3||Nest Bedding FLIP - Double Sided Hybrid Bed||Nest Bedding||98|
|4||Orthofoam Sleep Inc Double Sided - High Density Foam Mattress||Orthofoam Sleep Inc||98|
|5||Amore Beds Flippable - Copper-Ion Infused 2-Sided Mattress||Amore Beds||96|
|6||Nest Bedding Flip - Flippable Mattress||Nest Bedding||99|
|7||Dreamfoam Two Sided - Flippable Matress||Dreamfoam||98|
|8||Zinus Memory Foam - Flip Mattress||Zinus||97|
|9||Tuft & Needle Flippable - Adaptive Foam Mattress||Tuft & Needle||96.5|
|10||Olee Sleep Store Omega Hybrid - Memory Foam Mattress||Olee Sleep Store||95.8|
Table of Contents
- Which one is better? To Flip Or Not To Flip?
- Flippable mattresses – Pros and Cons
- How To Choose Flippable Mattress?
- Reviews: Best Flippable Mattress
- Layla Sleep® Memory Foam Flippable Queen Mattress
- Brentwood Home® Saatva Flippable Talalay latex bed
- Nest Bedding® FLIP Double Sided Hybrid Bed
- Orthofoam Sleep Inc® Double Sided High Density Foam Mattress
- Amore Beds® Flippable Copper-Ion Infused 2-Sided Mattress
- Nest Bedding® Flip Flippable Mattress
- Dreamfoam® Two Sided Flippable Matress
- Zinus® Memory Foam Flip Mattress
- Tuft & Needle® Flippable Adaptive Foam Mattress
- Olee Sleep Store® Omega Hybrid Memory Foam Mattress
- Index Table: Top Rated Flippable Mattress