Air mattresses or air beds are one of the best choices for bedding on your next camping trip. This buyer’s guide aims to address how an air mattress can benefit (more than just being optimal for camping), buying precautions when purchasing an air mattress for camping and some of the best air mattress features currently available.
Benefits of Air Mattresses
Aside from being optimal for camping, air mattresses offer a variety of additional benefits that may make you want to sleep on them permanently!
- Lightweight – Air mattresses are lightweight once deflated, making them very portable. This is the main reason why they’re great for camping purposes.
- Fully Adjustable – An air mattress is fully adjustable; if you want it to be more firm, all you have to do is fill it with more air or release more air if you wish for a softer mattress.
- Provide Great Orthopaedic Support – Many air mattresses nowadays provide some of the best orthopedic back support, being able to adjust to your exact shape. They achieve this by filling up different pressure zones in the mattress with air. Many have bought an excellent quality air mattress for camping or guests, but after trying it for themselves, they switched to sleeping on an air bed permanently!
- Never Need To Be Flipped – Air mattresses never need to be flipped, and there are no hassles concerning ‘bottoming out’ or excessive sagging after years of use, regardless of your shape, weight or size.
Air Mattress for Camping Buying Precautions
There are a few precautions that we have outlined below that one should take note of before committing to buying an air mattress for camping.
- Space – While all air mattresses aim at saving space and being portable, some of the more deluxe air mattresses may take up more space when folded up in your car than you realize. If you are going camping with the whole family, for instance, packing in several air beds can start to crowd things. Inside a roomy RV, air mattresses are ideal.
- Puncturing – Many quality air mattresses are built from resilient puncture proof material. This does not mean that they are impenetrable, however. It can be a good idea to get some protection covering the floor of your tent if you intend on roughing it fully to prevent sharp objects from ‘bursting your bubble!’
- Batteries – Most air mattresses are electronically powered, either with a plug in pump or a self inflatable mechanism. For emergencies or camping without an RV, you will want to make sure your bed or pump runs off batteries, and you will want to bring along extra batteries just in case! Should all else fail, it would be useful to keep a manual pump handy.
Characteristics of the Best Air Mattresses for Camping
Here we have listed five of the best air mattress for camping features:
- Silent Inflation – Most self-inflating air mattresses are not completely noiseless, and some of them can sound like a vacuum cleaner! Silent inflation is a great benefit for those trying to get away, into the peace of nature, or for those who need to inflate their mattress without disturbing others in the vicinity.
- Automatic Pressure Sensors – The most sophisticated air mattresses will automatically self-inflate or deflate throughout the night in response to your shifting around. This makes for incredible comfort and perfect sleeping, being more responsive than memory foam in many cases.
- Firmness Options – Electronic air beds often allow you the choice of choosing what kind of firmness you prefer. When you select your firmness option, these top quality air mattresses will make sure to keep the pressure at that level for consistent comfort.
- Back Pressure Relief – Air mattress designs have gotten more intricate throughout the years of their use. Some have emulated pocketed coil inner springs or include multiple pressure zones to precisely alleviate pressure off your back, neck, sides, and hips while you sleep.
- Breathable – Since most air beds are made from a form of inflatable plastic or rubber, it’s important to get one that’s covered in a breathable fabric. Without breathability, you will sweat excessively and likely overheat during the night. The fanciest air mattresses are covered in soft, breathable fabric layers that eliminate this problem.
Reviews: The Best Air Mattress for Camping
Here is a closer look at some of the best online air mattresses for camping that money can buy!
- Enjoy all the tranquillity the outdoors has to offer without compromising on sleeping comfort with this quality feel air mattress.
- A double-height profile makes it easy to climb in and out of bed.
- This mattress is convenient to wrap and roll, coming with an attached storage bag that is about the size of an average sleeping bag case.
- The puncture resistant inner and outer design of this air mattress for camping makes it ideal for all occasions, including setting up on the bottom of your tent in the woods.
- The inner design of the air bed includes “comfort coils” which pocket the air to emulate innerspring coils, distributing your weight evenly and alleviating back pressure.
- This mattress needs a pump to inflate and does not come with an inner pump.
- This air mattress was designed for durability, made from an extra thickly padded material – ideal for camping!
- The Comfort Coil Technology inside the mattress makes sleeping on top of it much more comfortable, with multiple zones of air holding your shape as you sleep.
- 3 min inflation time guarantees more fun goes into outdoor activities and family time rather than setting up the campsite.
- Includes a rechargeable pump that is easy to use and can be recharged at home or in your car at the camp site.
- A Sure Grip bottom ensures the mattress doesn’t slide around in the night and keeps you firmly supported in one spot.
- The dual motorized pump system is silent, not disturbing anyone when inflating or sleeping on the air mattress.
- The air bed pumps maintain perfect air pressure while you sleep, keeping it at the firmness option you select before inflation.
- A convenient auto shut off feature turns the pump off when inflated or deflated, letting it rest until it needs to regulate the air pressure inside the mattress.
- The double height profile makes getting out of bed easier, especially for those who battle to stand from a lying down position.
- The mattress inflates in a quick 4 minutes without you needing to lift a finger!
- The durable flock top is water and puncture resistant as well as breathable, making it well designed for camping or using in your home.
- This air mattress makes camping a luxury, covered in a soft suede top and 100% self inflatable.
- Includes an inbuilt NeverFLAT pump for best silent inflation, keeping the mattress at the perfect firmness all night long.
- Choose your preferred firmness and let the mattress do the rest of the work for you!
- This air mattress automatically inflates and deflates in 4 minutes and shuts off when the mattress is fully inflated or deflated.
- An 18-inch profile provides easy access to the mattress and contributes to a plush sleeping surface.
- 35 air coils have been placed evenly inside the mattress for supreme comfort and back pressure relief.
- This is a great air mattress for kids who enjoy feeling secure, comfortable and who are prone to rolling out of bed.
- The 4-inch high inflatable wall allows children to remain sleeping in the bed all night long without falling off the edge of the bed.
- Includes a fitted machine washable sheet which fits the unique styling of the mattress.
- Comes with an AC pump for convenient inflation – simply plug into your car or home and let the pump do the rest.
- The air bed is ideal for camping, with a highly durable cover that lasts.
- The ridged design contributes toward firm back support and stability that small children need (+4 years).
Comparison Table: Top-Rated Air Mattress for Camping
|1||Coleman Double High Air Mattress - Roll Up Air Mattress For Camping||Coleman||96|
|2||Sound Asleep Air Mattress for Camping - Slim Camping Air Mattress with Pump||Sound Asleep||96|
|3||Serta Raised Air Bed for Camping - Self Inflatable Camping Air Mattress||Serta||97|
|4||Insta-Bed Soft Camping Air Mattress - Never Flat Air Mattress for Camping||Insta-Bed||98|
|5||Aero Kids Air Bed for Camping - Children’s Air Mattress for Camping||Aero||95|
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Air Mattresses
- Air Mattress for Camping Buying Precautions
- Characteristics of the Best Air Mattresses for Camping
- Reviews: The Best Air Mattress for Camping
- Coleman® Double High Air Mattress Roll Up Air Mattress For Camping
- Sound Asleep® Air Mattress for Camping Slim Camping Air Mattress with Pump
- Serta® Raised Air Bed for Camping Self Inflatable Camping Air Mattress
- Insta-Bed® Soft Camping Air Mattress Never Flat Air Mattress for Camping
- Aero® Kids Air Bed for Camping Children’s Air Mattress for Camping
- Comparison Table: Top-Rated Air Mattress for Camping