If you are having trouble sleeping, you might be suffering from sleep apnea.
Knowing more about sleep apnea and the best mattress for sleep apnea might make you realize that a simple change to your sleeping arrangements may have been all you needed!
Causes of Sleep Apnea
Sleep Apnea is caused by a blockage in the airways while one is sleeping.
Usually, further symptoms of sleep apnea involve waking up repeatedly in the night and not getting in a good night sleep. The body responds to the lack of oxygen, triggering an emergency response and waking itself up.
Here are some potentially surprising examples of what can cause sleep apnea:
- Obesity – fat never grows in just one place, but instead accumulates everywhere. Obesity increases the chances of sleep apnea greatly because the soft muscles in the throat can block the airways more easily.
- Hormonal Problems – having excessive amounts of growth hormones can lead to sleep apnea.
- Hypothyroidism – this is a condition where the thyroid sticks out with a goiter. This can very easily block the airways and is usually associated with having sleep apnea.
- Allergies – Sometimes sleep apnea can be caused by severe allergies, such as to dairy, gluten, nuts, corn, soy, pets, chemicals or sugar. If either the glands in the neck get too swollen or the lungs produce too much mucus at night, sleep apnea is likely to occur.
- Tonsilitis – in children, tonsillitis is known to create sleep apnea.
- Smoking – studies have revealed that individuals who smoke are at a far higher risk of receiving sleep apnea than those that don’t.
How a Mattress for Sleep Apnea May Provide a Solution
An elevator mattress (at the head) for sleep apnea is a good idea for a few reasons.
This first is that usually, excess fluids are pooling in the lungs or overweight, soft muscles are blocking the airways.
Sleeping at an incline helps to drain these fluids and keeps your airways as open as possible thanks to gravity.
The second is that when you have continuously interrupted sleep, your perception of pain becomes heightened.
Back and neck pains are commonly associated with sleep apnea, and the best mattresses for sleep apnea are usually incredibly comfortable.
The last reason you will want a mattress for sleep apnea is due to keeping your posture straight in the night.
Maintaining a straight spinal alignment is the optimal breathing position for our bodies to assume.
Purchase a mattress which provides your back and neck with the best support and allow your airways to remain open.
A mattress for sleep apnea is not a cure, but it will certainly help by taking pressure off your breathing, which can mean the difference between life and death for severe sleep apnea cases.
The Best Characteristics of a Mattress for Sleep Apnea
The best mattresses for sleep apnea are on par with the best orthopedic mattresses on the market, with a few added features.
- Wedged or Inclined Mattresses – the most important feature for any mattress that will aid sleep apnea is an incline to allow fluids to drain. Sometimes a wedge pillow or mattress topper is needed.
- Adjustable Mattresses – some mattresses come on legs or can be adjusted completely to aid your sleep. These mattresses are usually made of multiple foam layers for maximum support and flexibility.
- Memory Foam – this is a sophisticated foam that can hold your shape, helping to align your spine by keeping you in a straight position. Memory foam can be infused with cooling gel, which helps keep it cool. Later innovations have allowed manufacturers to infuse natural antimicrobial extracts into the foam, such as green tea, charcoal or bamboo.
Reviews: Best Elevated Mattress for Sleep Apnea
Here is our best selection of mattresses to help provide sleep apnea relief that are currently available.
- This mattress “topper” is ideal for those suffering from sleep apnea, who already own a mattress and do not wish to buy a new one.
- This wedge will place any mattress on a gentle incline, aiding gastric problems, indigestion, congestion in the lungs and sinus problems.
- The mattress pad is made from high-density foam for additional back support.
- One can use this mattress pad on top of their mattress too, as this foam topper was made with increased airflow.
- No need to worry about heat waking you up in the night on top of things!
- This memory foam mattress topper can transform any mattress into a comfortable, supportive sleeping aid.
- The memory foam provides you with a perfect 3D reflection of your body shape, holding your posture in alignment.
- The mattress is at an incline to help you to breathe properly throughout the night and improve blood flow.
- Covered with a removable, zip-on rayon bamboo cover! Conveniently wash in the washing machine.
- Ideal for those suffering from sleep apnea, congestion, stomach or acid reflux and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
- 100% antimicrobial and hypoallergenic.
- Made in the USA.
- This product is a completely adjustable bed elevation solution to aid those suffering from sleep apnea.
- Consisting of two wedges, you can decide how much of an elevation your bed needs to help you sleep better at night.
- Helps yourself to breathe better at night and keep your spine straighter with this comfortable mattress bed wedge.
- Free from any chemical-additive and completely hypoallergenic.
- Made from recycled materials in the USA.
- This product does not come with a cover and does not need one – no washing required.
- This sturdy mattress frame can elevate your mattress to any angle you desire.
- Doctors have recommended this product for those who suffer from sleep apnea, acute sinus, diabetes, congestion, hernias, asthma or acid reflux issues.
- Some customers prefer this to a mattress or wedge on an incline, as the metal base long outlives foam, being far more durable.
- This mattress base has legs in the middle for extra support.
- Available in all different mattress sizes.
- Choose between 2, 4 or 6 inches to which you can elevate to.
- This mattress topper provides your neck, back and body with a stable incline to help you to breath better at night when sleeping.
- Made from high-density foam, this mattress topper provides you with perfect back support and keeps the spine from going out.
- Due to the incline, this topper will aid those who have excess snoring, sleep apnea and more.
- The ergonomically contoured foam provides pressure point relief, allowing you to feel more comfortable when you sleep.
- The ring of air technology used in this mattress topper helps to keep things fresh and breezy, ensuring no excess heat in the night.
- Made in the USA.
- A contoured and ergonomically designed mattress elevating wedge that will help to prevent sleep apnea.
- Made from high-quality memory foam and infused with cooling gel.
- There is a breathable bamboo cover that is washable and removable.
- Available in an original or gel-infused model to choose from.
- An ergonomically designed and multifunction bed wedge pillow can be placed underneath your mattress or on top.
- Helps tp prevent acid reflux and sleep apnea.
- Constructed from premium quality memory foam with a durable and washable cotton cover.
- A multi-layered body pillow and mattress elevator that helps with sleep apnea, acid reflux and back, and neck pain issues.
- Designed with layers of memory foam that has a firm or a softer side for you to choose from.
- It comes with two removable covers that are machine washable.
- Designed to be very durable and hard-wearing as well as to retain its shape.
Comparison Table: Mattresses for Sleep Apnea
|1||Hollander Mattress Elevator - Mattress Wedge for Sleep Apnea||Hollander||96|
|2||Avana Foam Wedge Topper - Inclining Mattress Topper for Sleep Apnea||Avana||98|
|3||Wellness Wedge Adjustable Bed Wedge - Sleep Apnea Wellness Mattress Wedge||Wellness Wedge||95|
|4||Beds Up Inclining Mattress Frame - Fully Adjustable Mattress Frame for Sleep Apnea||Beds Up||97|
|5||Hollander Elevation Topper - Elevating Mattress Topper for Sleep Apnea||Hollander||95|
|6||Avana Wedge - Mattress Elevator for Sleep Apnea||Avana||97|
|7||Recci Wedge Pillow - Mattress Eelevator for Sleep Apnea||Recci||97|
|8||Med Joy Layered - Memory foam Mattress Wedge for Sleep Apnea||Med Joy||97|
Table of Contents
- Causes of Sleep Apnea
- How a Mattress for Sleep Apnea May Provide a Solution
- The Best Characteristics of a Mattress for Sleep Apnea
- Reviews: Best Elevated Mattress for Sleep Apnea
- Hollander® Mattress Elevator Mattress Wedge for Sleep Apnea
- Avana® Foam Wedge Topper Inclining Mattress Topper for Sleep Apnea
- Wellness Wedge® Adjustable Bed Wedge Sleep Apnea Wellness Mattress Wedge
- Beds Up® Inclining Mattress Frame Fully Adjustable Mattress Frame for Sleep Apnea
- Hollander® Elevation Topper Elevating Mattress Topper for Sleep Apnea
- Avana® Wedge Mattress Elevator for Sleep Apnea
- Recci® Wedge Pillow Mattress Eelevator for Sleep Apnea
- Med Joy® Layered Memory foam Mattress Wedge for Sleep Apnea
- Comparison Table: Mattresses for Sleep Apnea