To keep your infant safe and ensure the best possible outcome, you will want to know what the best crib mattress is that you can buy.
This guide will cover the risks associated with crib mattresses, the standard specifications of crib mattresses, and what some of the best crib mattresses have to offer over and above the rest.
The Risks Associated With Buying A Crib Mattress
Purchasing a crib mattress is not as simple as going into a store and choosing the cheapest one you find first. Infants are susceptible to sleep and what materials they are exposed to. The primary cause for concern with buying a crib mattress is the risk of Sudden Infantile Death Syndrome (SIDS). This sudden death can be caused by a few factors to do with choosing the wrong crib mattress:
- Soft Foam – a firm mattress is what an infant needs to ensure that they can develop a healthy posture throughout the remainder of their lives. A foam crib mattress that is too soft will not only promote poor posture but dramatically increase the risk of suffocation to the child!
- Chemical Additives – in recent studies, SIDS has been strongly associated with toxic chemical additives that are added to crib mattresses. These include flame retardants, heavy metals (like mercury or lead), and phthalates. These compounds are toxic to humans in general but exposed even in small quantities to infants; they can be fatal.
- Allergic Reactions – Some infants have allergic reactions to synthetic materials, even when they are non-toxic. For those of you who are naturally allergic as parents, it would be best to buy an organic crib mattress for your children to sleep on.
Standard Crib Mattress Types and Specifications
Did you know that crib mattress sizes are regulated in the US by the Federal Government? The standard size of a crib mattress is 27.25 inches by 51.62 inches. Crib mattresses should also not have a thickness of more than 6 inches. These measurements confirm with standard crib sizes, which usually stem around 28 inches by 52.37 inches.
Crib mattresses are divided into two main types:
- Innerspring Crib Mattresses – these are mattresses with coils wound in them. These mattresses are usually better to buy because they hold a firmer shape. It would be best to make sure that the springs are individually wrapped. However, a loose spring can be detrimental to an infant’s development.
- Foam Crib Mattresses – foam crib mattresses may seem comfortable at first, but cautions need to be taken to ensure you don’t end up buying one that’s too soft or that contains harmful chemicals. Non-toxic, high-density foams make the best crib mattresses because they are firm enough to prevent the risk of suffocation.
Combining these two types works the best, leaving no chance of infant suffocation.
Features of a Good Crib Mattress
Here is a list of the best crib mattress features available today:
- Waterproof – a waterproof crib mattress is a great feature to have because they are much easier to clean if the child makes any mess.
- Breathable – it is advisable to have a breathable mattress so that your child does not perspire. Many box spring mattresses are breathable. However, foam mattresses are not. If you want to purchase a foam mattress, make sure to get cotton covering so that the crib mattress allows your child’s skin to breathe properly.
- Cotton Layers – Cotton is very soft, breathable, and easy to clean. Having cotton layers in your crib mattress is a great way to add a firmness that is entirely non-toxic and back supportive to the baby.
- Antimicrobial – especially for those that are allergic to things, an antimicrobial mattress is useful to prevent bacterial or fungal build-up that can make your baby ill.
- Temperature Regulation – A form of temperature regulation or a Tempurpedic mattress can greatly improve your infant’s sleeping experience. This can also mean the difference between your child sleeping through the night versus waking you up every few hours! If the crib mattress does not regulate temperature very well, it will overheat, which can cause other potential problems for the baby.
Reviews: The Best Available Crib Mattress
Here below we have put together a top list of the best crib mattresses available online.
- Here is one of the most popular mattresses money can buy, thanks to the ultra-firm design and non-toxicity.
- The covering is waterproof and is designed with baby in mind, using little stars.
- This crib mattress is free from lead, phthalates, and other very toxic substances that may cause SIDS.
- Conveniently lightweight, take your crib mattress with you when you go on vacation or stay the night away from home.
- The high-density thermo-core gives your infant the best back support while also regulating temperature very efficiently.
- This cotton crib mattress offers superior heavy-duty border rod support to infants, stable on the edges.
- It is made from entirely pure organic cotton grown on US soil and 100% hypoallergenic.
- This crib mattress is waterproof, making it convenient to maintain.
- Completely non-toxic and free from heavy metals and plastic compounds.
- The crib mattress edges are supported by a steel rod frame for excellent support.
- It is covered in a premium hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant covering.
- This crib mattress is also free from any foam, vinyl, or polyurethane.
- This superior sleeping mattress is made using one layer of extra firm high-density foam paired with a layer of normal high-density foam for the best infant sleeping outcomes.
- Watch your toddler sleep with confidence as this mattress is entirely non-toxic.
- The covering is waterproof and made from nylon for easy cleaning.
- The mattress is hypoallergenic and 100% antimicrobial to prevent any bacteria from building up.
- The seams are stitched on the sides, making the mattress reversible.
- The extra firm side can be used for infants, while the other side can be used for toddlers.
- This crib mattress is unique because it uses substantial memory foam to keep your infant safe yet comfortable.
- Memory foam is a malleable foam that creates a 3D contour to the baby’s body shape, supporting perfect posture.
- The cover is entirely waterproof and made with a convenient zipper – pop it in the wash to keep it clean!
- Free from toxic additives and harmful chemicals to ensure your infant can rest without risks.
- This crib mattress is also hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, and antimicrobial.
- It comes all-inclusive with a ten-year warranty.
- Here is a great, environmentally friendly crib mattress that is non-toxic, waterproof, and hazards free!
- The inside is designed to be extra firm and ergonomic for infants or toddlers, comprising several layers.
- The top layer is made of pure, breathable cotton for the best sleep time results.
- The crib mattress inside consists of up to 120 individually wrapped coil springs for superior support.
- The interior is insulated entirely to ensure optimal temperature regulation.
- This mattress has a waterproof cover that is moisture and stain-resistant.
- Greenguard Gold Certified as being environmentally friendly, as well as non-toxic.
- From Simmons, we have this superb crib safe mattress with dual sides for infants and toddlers.
- This mattress is Greenguard Gold Certified that is healthier and more eco-friendly.
- Waterproof design is easy to clean and has no hassle when there are small accidents.
- A safe and comfortable hypoallergenic mattress that is free from chemicals and phthalates.
- The Graco Premium Mattress is one of the finest quality Crib mattresses you will find with a fully waterproof and washable cover.
- The ideal firmness and breathability for young babies and toddlers.
- Greenguard Gold certified and safe from harmful toxins and chemicals.
- Firm foam that is perfect for little bodies offering soft and comfortable support.
- Designed to fit most standard cribs easily.
- The Lifekind Mattress is an all-natural mattress that uses only certified organic natural materials in the making.
- It consists of durable and high resilience all-natural Latex from the rubber tree.
- The cover consists of natural wool and bamboo and is removable and washable.
- GOTS certified for purity and natural organic materials.
- The perfect design to fit our crib snugly.
- This crib mattress is constructed with high-quality materials that meet all US standards.
- It is GREENGUARD Gold Certified for a healthy indoor environment for the baby.
- The mattress provides a foam insulating layer that is hypoallergenic and safe for all involved.
- It comes with lock-stitched waterproof binding for durability and to also serve as a fire blocker.
- This mattress is designed keeping in mind the baby’s safety and well-being and is free of any harmful materials or chemicals.
- It offers a firm fiber core that delivers newborns and toddlers’ perfect firmness.
- The crib mattress fits all standard sizes cribs as well as toddler beds.
- It comes with a vinyl cover that is waterproof, durable, and easy to clean.
Index Table: Top-Rated Crib Mattresses
Table of Contents
- The Risks Associated With Buying A Crib Mattress
- Standard Crib Mattress Types and Specifications
- Features of a Good Crib Mattress
- Reviews: The Best Available Crib Mattress
- Safety 1st® Star Covering Baby Mattress Waterproof Star Coated Crib Mattress
- Naturepedic® Organic Cotton Crib Mattress Hypoallergenic Pure Cotton Crib Mattress
- Moonlight Slumber® Dual Layer Crib Mattress Double Firm Crib Mattress for Deep Sleeping
- My First Mattress® High Density Foam Mattress Extra Firm Memory Foam Crib Mattress
- Serta® Innerspring Coil Crib Mattress Eco Friendly Crib Mattress for Toddlers
- Simmons® Slumbertime Kids slumbertime Mattress
- Graco® Premium Younger Kids Mattress
- Lifekind® Organic Toddler and Crib Mattress
- Dream On Me® Twilight Inner Spring Crib Mattress
- Delta Children® Twinkle Stars Fiber Core Crib Mattress
- Index Table: Top-Rated Crib Mattresses