Organic crib mattresses have a better reputation than non-organic crib mattresses for quite a few reasons.
Read further to find out why organic crib mattresses are safer for your toddler or infant, organic crib mattress buying considerations, and a brief discussion of their best features.
Why Organic Crib Mattresses Are A Better Choice For Your Children
Most ordinary crib mattresses are made of synthetic substances such as LatexLatex or high-density foam.
Many manufacturers treat these foams with harmful chemicals, toxins, and heavy metals, which are detrimental to your toddler’s development.
Organic crib mattresses for kids prevent your child from coming into contact with any of these chemicals with either a thick natural barrier or by being made of only natural materials.
Not only are they damaging to your infant’s growth and development, but non-organic mattresses have been linked to Sudden Infantile Death Syndrome (aka SIDS).
In other words, non-organic mattresses have been proven to a higher mortality rate amongst infants.
Organic crib mattresses protect from this threat entirely and are safe for your children to sleep on without worrying about any harm befalling them.
Organic Crib Mattress Buying Considerations
These crib mattress buying considerations are critical for inexperienced parents to know about.
- Infant or Toddler? – if you have an infant, you will want the firmest possible back support. As children grow up, the back support they need usually becomes softer. Be very careful that the material is not soft enough that the toddler can sink in. Otherwise, you might be faced with sudden suffocation.
- Foam Crib Mattresses – High density foam is ideal for supporting infants and toddlers, with the exception of harmful ingredients. Even organic foam mattresses (which have been refined from natural plant sources) hold the risk of being treated with toxins. A good way to minimize this risk and still have high-density back support is to get a foam crib mattress with either a thick organic layer or wool cover surrounding it.
- Seamless or Lock Stitched – babies can be rather destructive to crib mattresses if not seamless. A lock-stitched mattress ensures the seams are on the mattress’s sides and out of the baby’s reach.
- Meeting Crib Mattress Standards – a crib mattress has standard dimensions which it should not measure smaller than, namely: 27 1/4 inches by 51 5/8 inches.
Features of a Good Crib Mattress
Here are some of the best crib mattress features you can find in your organic crib mattress this year.
- Dual Sided – a dual-sided crib mattress is smart planning, as one side is suited for infants and the other side for toddlers.
- Waterproof – a waterproof mattress is a critical feature to have in your mattress for obvious reasons: babies are messy! A removable waterproof covering is the easiest to keep clean. However, you can just as easily wipe down most waterproof crib mattresses with a damp cloth.
- Dust Mite Proof – to prevent dust mites, bed bugs, and other sources of allergy in your child, get a mattress that is dust mite proof.
- Breathable – a breathable mattress is crucial for restful sleep for your infant. Breathable organic materials like cotton or wool allow your child to perspire naturally and prevent any possibility of overheating in the night.
- Talalay Process – this is a process in which foam is manufactured in a water solution, as opposed to a chemical one. It is safer to use organic Talalay prepared foam. However, it is still recommended to use an organic cover or thick wrap over it to be safe.
Reviews: The Best Organic Crib Mattress
These organic crib mattresses have been top rated by users for their superior toddler or infant support and sleeping comfort.
- This organic crib mattress is made from heavy-duty border rods that have been packed tightly with the best quality pure organic cotton.
- The cover is hypoallergenic and prevents dust mites or bed bugs from burrowing inside your child’s mattress.
- The strong border rods add enhanced stability and structure, making for superior infant back support.
- The surface is designed to be easy to wipe clean and is made from a food-grade polyurethane cover.
- This mattress is free from any added toxins, chemicals, phthalates, PVC, vinyl, and more!
- This organic foam mattress is manufactured using foam made from renewable organic soy.
- The mattress has three zones that all work to give the best possible support to either your infant or toddler back.
- The bottom side is less firm for toddlers, and the top side is more firm for infants – think ahead and spend less in the long run.
- It is covered with an organic cotton cover for breathability and comfort.
- The cotton cover is also waterproof, dust mite resistant, and hypoallergenic, helping your child to sleep without any hassles.
- Here is an example of a truly natural crib mattress made only from two organic ingredients: cotton and coir.
- An 80% coir construction provides antimicrobial padding for your infant that keeps them safe and supported.
- The crib mattress meets crib mattress standards and should last you for many years, making it an excellent choice for any future additions to the family.
- It is certified to have a low carbon footprint and absolutely no toxic chemicals.
- Made in the USA.
- This organic crib mattress is higher than the average crib mattress, increasing your child’s comfort and support by just that much more.
- Certified as being entirely free of phthalates and other toxic compounds so that you don’t need to worry when your child is at rest.
- The cover is made using soft cotton layers, which sit over the organic latex cotton batting inside.
- The crib mattress is a neutral color tone and will make the perfect addition to most nursery rooms.
- It’s recommended to buy a waterproof mattress cover for this mattress to ensure it is kept in good condition.
- Here is an organic mattress made from a waterproof covering that surrounds renewable soybean foam padding.
- The foam has been certified to be free of all harmful toxins and is made using the Talalay process.
- The cover is waterproof and easy to wipe down clean.
- The mattress edges have been locked stitched for additional support and safety.
- The mattress has been proven to emit little to no greenhouse gases and is environmentally friendly.
- Provide your infant with the best spinal support and posture with this soybean crib mattress.
- This is an all-natural, safe, and dual-sided crib mattress designed for infants and toddlers.
- GreenGuard Gold Certified for purity and safety.
- A waterproof design that is easy to clean and maintain.
- It will fit most standard cribs easily.
- The Lifekind Mattress is an all-natural mattress that uses only certified organic natural materials in the making.
- This mattress is filled with durable and high resilience, all-natural Latex from the rubber tree.
- The cover is made from Organic natural wool and bamboo and is removable and washable.
- Likewise, the mattress is GOLS certified for purity and natural organic materials.
- The perfect design to fit our crib snugly.
- A thick orthopedic design mattress is the standard size of cribs with a 6-inch thickness.
- Dual firmness with an extra firm and a softer side for toddlers and infants.
- An ultra-soft all-natural organic cotton cover is removable and washable with a waterproof backing.
- All materials and foams used are Greenmguard Gold certified organic and safe with no harmful chemicals and toxins in the making.
- This is a crib sheet made with premium quality, 100% organic Cotton.
- It is designed with an elastic bottom to ensure it fits most standard-size mattresses.
- The fitted sheet can fit any portable crib mattress pad or convertible crib mattress toppers.
- It measures 28 x 52 x 9 inches in size.
- This is a crib sheet made by Burt Bee’s Baby.
- It is a fitted crib sheet and is available in various solid colors.
- The cover is a snug 360-degree premium sheet with elasticized extra stretch for a safer and comfortable fit.
- It is 100% Organic, GOTS Certified, and breathable.
Comparison Table: Top Rated Organic Crib Mattresses
Table of Contents
- Why Organic Crib Mattresses Are A Better Choice For Your Children
- Organic Crib Mattress Buying Considerations
- Features of a Good Crib Mattress
- Reviews: The Best Organic Crib Mattress
- Naturepedic® Organic Cotton Crib Mattress Organic Waterproof Infant Crib Mattress
- LA Baby® 2 in 1 Organic Crib Mattress Dual Sided Organic Soy Foam Crib Mattress
- Newton® Baby Pure Organic Coir Cotton Crib Mattress
- LA Baby® Thick Crib Mattress Chemical Free Organic Crib Mattress
- Sealy® Soybean Foam Crib Mattress Organic Eco Friendly Soybean Crib Mattress
- Simmons® Slumbertime Organic Crib Mattress
- Lifekind® Organic Organic Crib Mattress
- Colgate® Foam Organic Crib Mattress
- Sahaler® Organic Baby Crib Sheets
- Burt's Bees Baby® Organic Fitted Crib Sheets
- Comparison Table: Top Rated Organic Crib Mattresses