As a parent, safety for your children is made a top priority.
Ensuring safety, along with the best possible quality, is imperative for positive development, especially for toddlers and infants.
This buyer’s guide is here to help you understand what makes the best safe toddler mattress, what kind of toddler mattresses are available, and what their best features are.
The Best Kind of Back Support for Toddlers
The usual rule with children is that they need a very firm, supportive mattress in the early development stages.
This aids the child to grow into a healthy posture and gives the best possible outcomes in the first part of life.
An infant requires the firmest type of crib mattress, whereas a toddler can use a little more cushioning in their mattress.
The back support’s firmness can be softened the older the child gets until they’re old enough to have a preference in the matter.
There are two commonly adopted types of crib mattress that you can get for your toddler:
- Foam Crib Mattress – the foam mattress is great because it lasts long, is waterproof, and provides your toddler with firm back support. Foam is also usually cheaper to buy.
- Innerspring Crib Mattress – the innerspring crib mattress is similar to boxspring mattresses for adults, except that it’s a lot more stable with strict back support. The springs usually lie inside a wire box, stuffed with cotton, wool, or foam.
Risks Associated with Purchasing a Toddler Mattress
There are two main risks of purchasing a mattress for your toddler or infant.
If you are a parent, you need to know these fatal risks!
- Sudden Infantile Death Syndrome (SIDS) – over the years, reports of infants and toddlers suddenly dying from a mysterious cause of death cropped up everywhere. Later research has linked SIDS to toxicity and chemicals found in foam crib mattresses and some other baby products. Most manufacturers took steps to ensure that foam mattresses were chemical-free after that point, but it’s advisable to cover your mattress in a thick cotton cover to make doubly sure.
- Suffocation – never purchase only a memory foam mattress or a soft mattress that allows the baby to ‘sink in.’ Many infants have died by leaving an impression in a mouldable mattress, which suffocates them. The best support for your infant’s posture is a firm mattress, which also prevents suffocation from occurring.
The Best Toddler Mattress Qualities Money Can Buy
Here are a few listed below if you want to know what the best toddler mattress features are.
- Organic Materials – organic materials such as wool or cotton make the best covers or stuffing for crib mattresses because they are guaranteed to be non-toxic. These materials are also impeccably soft and can be packed together for firmness. Ideal if your toddler is hypersensitive or allergic to anything.
- Waterproof – a waterproof crib mattress is very useful, especially if your bundle of joy is quite the mess maker! Waterproof crib mattresses often come with other perks, such as being dust mite resistant, anti-fungal, and stain-proof.
- Removable Cover – a removable cover is a wise idea, as this makes cleaning much easier and keeps the mattress in perfect condition. Make sure not to use heavy cleaning detergents when cleaning the cover, or you may harm your child.
Reviews: The Best Toddler Mattress
Please take a look at our premium selection of safe toddler mattresses in the list below!
- Here is a great mattress for both toddlers and infants, having a reversible dual sided option for either.
- The toddler side of the crib mattress has an added thin layer of cushioning so that your toddler sleeps more comfortably.
- The primary material used to construct the mattress is a high-density support foam that has been certified to be free from any harmful chemicals.
- The mattress itself is lightweight and will remain with you for many years to come.
- The quilted covering makes it more comfortable for the toddler to lie on the mattress, gently alleviating pressure points, if any.
- If you are looking for a more natural, firm density mattress for your toddler, look no further!
- Sealy did a great job when they made this mattress, dispersing soybeans throughout the foam core center.
- This crib mattress is flexible and provides just the right firm support for toddlers.
- The foam in the mattress is certified to be free of Phthalates, lead, mercury, PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP, and other chemicals.
- A waterproof cover surrounds the entire mattress, making it easy to wipe down clean and prevent dust, stains, mites, and more from ruining the mattress.
- This innerspring mattress contains 150 heavy gauge steel coils for the best back support that a toddler could wish for.
- A thick hypoallergenic layer covers the mattress’s coils, making for a soft, spacious place for your toddler to sleep.
- Use this mattress for infants and toddlers up to 5 years old.
- It is covered in a waterproof cover for the easiest maintenance, lack of mold build-up, and complete stain resistance.
- Certified free of harmful chemicals and flame retardants and Green Guard are certified for having low air emissions.
- Comes included with a 10-year warranty.
- One of the most favoured, safe-to-use toddler mattresses is the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer, a dual foam firm mattress.
- The mattress is reversible, utilizing a different high-density foam on the toddler side than on the infant side.
- The toddler side of the mattress is softer than the infant side, providing a gentle cushioning to the child.
- The hypoallergenic mattress has been treated with safe antimicrobial protection, allowing it to be free of mold.
- Wipe down the waterproof surface with a damp cloth to keep it clean.
- Certified to be free from all harmful and toxic chemicals substances, ensuring your toddler can sleep without worries.
- This is one of the very few foam mattresses that includes a very skinny 0.5 inch layer of gel memory foam, providing your toddler with unmatched comfort.
- The bottom layer consists of 4.5 inches of high-density foam, keeping your baby firmly supported during naptimes.
- The cover is waterproof, stain-resistant, and can be wiped clean. However, it is also removable and can be washed lightly in the washing machine.
- This toddler mattress is dust mite resistant and 100% hypoallergenic.
- Certified free of lead, phthalates, and many other harmful toxins.
- This mattress is an excellent buy for multiple children and will last for a very long time.
- Comes with a ten-year warranty.
- A completely non-toxic and chemical-free mattress option for toddlers and babies.
- Dual-sided with a firmer, more heavy-duty side for toddlers, and a softer and more airy side for infants.
- Waterproof, so it is easily cleaned and maintained.
- Greenguard Gold certified for quality natural materials and safety.
- This mattress comes with a removable and washable water-resistant cover, ideal for toddlers and young children.
- The ideal firmness for toddlers and young children.
- Safe and Greenguard certified in Gold for non-toxic and natural materials.
- A GOTS all-natural certified and healthy mattress for toddlers and babies.
- It will fit easily in most toddler’s beds or even cribs.
- It is made from all-natural Latex with a cotton and wool cover.
- Double-sided so it can be used as an infant or toddler mattress.
- This mattress features two unique sides to adapt to the needs of a growing baby.
- The infant side provides firmness to infants’ soft bodies, whereas the toddler side is comparatively softer for comfort.
- It comes with a 100% Polyester cover that is water-resistant, removable, and machine washable.
- This mattress is CertiPUR-US Certified, GREENGUARD Gold certified, and JPMA certified, as well as free from prohibited phthalates, lead, and mercury.
- This crib mattress features a dual side to suit the needs of a growing baby.
- The soft side is designed for toddlers to provide comfort, whereas the firm side provides support to infants.
- Its softer side is made of 1.5 inches of cool gel memory foam that is skin-friendly, non-toxic, and temperature regulating.
- This mattress is breathable, and the firm side is made of 4 inches of high-density base support memory foam.
Index Table: Top Rated Toddler Mattresses
Table of Contents
- The Best Kind of Back Support for Toddlers
- Risks Associated with Purchasing a Toddler Mattress
- The Best Toddler Mattress Qualities Money Can Buy
- Reviews: The Best Toddler Mattress
- Safety 1st® Toddler Transition Mattress Supportive Dual Sided Toddler Mattress
- Sealy® High Density Soy Mattress Soybean Foam Mattress for Toddlers
- Kolcraft® Innerspring Coil Toddler Mattress Waterproof
- Moonlight Slumber® Non-Toxic Toddler Mattress Dual Firmness Chemical Free Toddler Mattress
- My First Mattress® Safe Density Foam Mattress Safe High Density Toddler Mattress
- Simmons® Slumbertime Toddler Mattress
- Graco® Premium Toddler and Kids Mattress
- Lifekind® Organic Toddler Mattress
- Graco® Dual-Sided Premium Toddler Mattress
- Sweet Forest® Dual Side Toddler Gel Mattress
- Index Table: Top Rated Toddler Mattresses