Back pain is very common in the world today.
Modern lifestyles tend to leave us overusing or underusing our back muscles, both of which can cause strain on the back, back pain, and back-related problems.
Knowing more about the back and having the best mattress pad for back pain can assist you tremendously in your daily life if the above description sounds just like you!
Back Pain Causes, Symptoms & Back Problem Diagnosis
Back Pain is usually caused by incorrect posture or physical injury to the back that misaligns our posture in some way.
Our back muscles will try to accommodate the misalignment of the spine and result in forming in ways that cause us back pain.
Back problems usually occur after extended periods of exerting our back muscles with back pain, or continuous poor posture and back strain from underuse of our back muscles.
Examples of back problems that can be the result of poor posture, or muscle over and underuse, would be conditions such as slipped/ herniated discs, arthritis, fibromyalgia, and scoliosis.
If you are suffering from chronic back pain that seems only to be getting worse, even when good posture is maintained, you will need to consult an expert.
Your local physician will be able to give you a far more accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
How the Right Mattress Topper Can Help Alleviate Back Pain
The best mattress pads or toppers for back pain should help to support your spine and muscles while you rest. This, in turn, will take all pressure off of your back and allow it to heal in comfort.
Mattress pads provide back pain relief in this capacity, however, if you have a swollen back or hips, you may wish to use a cooling gel to reduce inflammation such as arnica gel in combination with an orthopedic mattress pad.
Firm mattress pads also provide sometimes necessary back protection against spring mattresses.
If the mattress pad has a thick enough density, it will also be suitable to support side sleepers who suffer from back pain.
Mattress toppers can also promote better circulation due to posture-pedic support and can prevent shoulder pain, hip pain and more back pain caused by a lack of oxygen.
This supportive perk of mattress pads is highly beneficial for back arthritis or osteoporosis patients in particular.
Noteworthy Characteristics of the Best Orthopedic Mattress Pads
- Firm Foam Base – This is particularly important if you are sleeping on a spring mattress or need extra firm back support. A foam base is more likely to give you this kind of support than a microfiber or down feather topper filling. Side sleepers and stomach sleepers may want a more soft foam base or a combination base for a more comfortable nights sleep.
- Double Layers – having more than one layer in a mattress pad is usually a good indication that it has orthopedic benefits, especially if a soft substance and a steady substance come together. Double foam layers often provide a supportive layer, with a foam of a softer nature on top like memory foam, for superior comfort while resting.
- Memory Foam – this is a unique foam base that responds to body temperature by allowing the sleeper to sink into their mattress pad. A precision 3D contour mold of your body is created and cradles you with perfect posturing. Memory foam is also great because it’s highly adaptable, allowing you the liberty of changing sleeping positions throughout the night.
- Perforation – it’s critical that the material you use to sleep on is perforated. Perforation is necessary for proper air flow in the mattress pad, preventing a build-up of excessive heat which can create sudden discomfort or wake you up in the middle of the night. Most foam bases made from the Talalay method are perforated. Cooling gel technology can also provide extra heat resistance and cooling if heat is a reoccurring problem for you.
- The Right Density – the thickness of a mattress topper is important, especially if you are a side sleeper. Side sleepers need thicker mattress pads for shoulder, hip, and neck support. Back sleepers will benefit from thinner or firmer mattress pads, while stomach sleepers will prefer the softest mattress pad possible.
Reviews: The Best Mattress Pads For Back Pain
Here we have our list of the best mattress pads that have proven effective for back pain relief and extra comfort cushioning.
- This memory foam mattress pad or topper is 3 inches thick to accommodate for shoulder length and provide a very plush sleep.
- The memory foam will take on your shape, preventing odd sleeping positions and back pain.
- On top of a firmer mattress, this topper will provide you with back pain relief by helping to give comfort and support your spine by alleviating pressure points.
- ViscoSoft’s exclusive memory foam is infused with cooling silica gel to improve the airflow and breathability of the topper.
- Forget about overheating in the night with the perforated design for extra ventilation, and enjoy a peaceful sleep with this topper.
- Comes with a machine washable & removable 70% bamboo (rayon) – 30% polyester cover for your convenience.
- Ideal for alleviating pressure off the spine and providing back pain relief coupled with a great night’s sleep.
- This high-density 2-inch memory foam is made to provide you with optimal back support, taking on your unique shape and hugging your body gently in the right orthopedic alignment.
- Perfect for any sleeping position as the memory foam is highly adaptable.
- Silica Cooling Gel Infusion into the memory foam allows for heat to disperse evenly and prevents heat bursts waking you up in the night.
- The foam is perforated for even more breathability and airflow.
- Highly durable, this mattress topper will last you for years to come.
- This mattress pad is designed to stay firm on your mattress with a slide-proof polyester blend.
- The top is 100% polyester, the bottom is 100% olefin, the sides are 90% polyester and 10% spandex for traction and the filling is a 100% micro plush polyester filling.
- Reaching ±2 inches, the firmness of this soft mattress topper is enough to help alleviate pressure off the back and hips and give you a back pain-free sleep.
- End-to-end stitching allows the filling to stay put without making sags and dents in the mattress pad. Enjoy a long lasting and even distribution of plushness to aid you when at rest.
- Available in 6 sizes in total to accommodate most mattresses out there.
- This supreme mattress pad is found in Marriott Hotels and is made from the most cutting edge plush materials you can imagine.
- Cooling Cluster Fiber Technology enables you to sleep peacefully without overheating under the covers or experiencing temperature discomfort during the night.
- 100% Hypoallergenic. Ideal for people who crave down feather fill but have down feather allergies.
- The quilted design enables maximum comfort and softness at night, perfect for taking pressure off your back or providing back pain relief.
- Stomach sleepers may enjoy the soft quality of this plush mattress topper; however, side sleepers and back sleepers will benefit as well.
- Indulge in a great night’s sleep and feel like you stay at a luxury resort with this 5star mattress pad.
- This orthopedic mattress topper is made by a reputable brand and can provide you with back pain relief and great back support during rest time.
- The memory foam is 2 inches thick, providing adequate height to take on your body’s unique contour.
- The memory foam is designed with an open cell structure, making it more breathable than standard foam, preventing a build up of heat while you sleep.
- Excellent for side sleepers and back sleepers who change positions throughout the night.
- This topper also provides a measurable degree of protection from your mattress underneath, transforming your bed into a heavenly sleep paradise.
- This is a fantastic mattress pad, ergonomically designed to help you to sleep more comfortably and stay cooler at night.
- This Lavender infused memory foam topper smells just like the flower, imparting the incredibly soothing properties of Lavender to your night’s sleep.
- The 5-zone design is innovatively patterned to increase ventilation and alleviate pressure on all parts of the back and spine.
- 2 inches of padding between you and the mattress ensures protection from any springs with enough height to accommodate most shoulder lengths.
- The Memory foam conforms to your exact body shape and cradles you as you sleep peacefully with comfortable back support.
- This mattress topper is offered in 7 comprehensive sizes to suit any bed or mattress size you need.
- This specialized gel infused memory foam is very well ventilated with open cell technology and allows for even distribution of heat. Forget about waking up from sudden bursts of heat in the night!
- The gel infusion further reduces the temperature of the topper throughout the night.
- The memory foam will create a replica of your body shape, hugging you for maximum comfort.
- Adaptable, this topper will change with you as you change sleeping positions throughout the night.
- Ideal for side sleepers who need the hip or lower back cushioning and support.
- This superior comfort microplush mattress pad is filled as thick as possible, giving it a soft, yet firm density.
- This topper is overfilled until it reaches ±2 inches.
- Perfect for stomach sleepers, side sleepers, and back sleepers who need body support and cushioning for lower back pain relief.
- The top is filled with polyester, the bottom is made from olefin, and the sides are made from 90% polyester and 10% spandex.
- Available in six sizes: queen, king, California king, full, twin and twin XL mattress sizes.
- For the best cleaning and minimal wear and tear, professional washing or dry cleaning is recommended.
- This luxury mattress topper can be used as a down-feather fill alternative, being hypoallergenic, anti-dust mites and resistant to bacteria.
- The cover is made of heavenly soft microfiber polyester, soft as cotton to the touch with enhanced stain resistant properties.
- This mattress is overly stuffed with a gel infused polyester, a cutting edge Tempurpedic technology that keeps you cool throughout the night by ensuring evenly distributed heat.
- Plush enough to help cushion side sleepers and all other sleeping positions and provides back pain relief.
- Fully machine washable, however, some sizes may be too big for your washing machine and may require you to opt for professional cleaning.
- This quilted mattress pad is made from 100% hypoallergenic poly-cotton and is machine washable.
- Filled with polyester to provide a layer of cushioning, guaranteed to improve comfort at bedtime.
- Can help to alleviate back pain caused by overheating in the night, keeping you and your bedding cooler with an even heat distribution.
- Ideal for individuals who often perspire while sleeping, absorbing moisture and protecting your mattress.
- No slipping or sliding thanks to the handy stretch this mattress pad has to provide.
- The 2 inch thick plush filling of this mattress topper can help to alleviate lower back pain, hip pain and promotes a great night’s sleep.
- Rest comfortably and assured on top of this mattress topper, which is hypoallergenic, anti-microbial and dust mite free.
- This mattress topper is perfect no matter what the season, being cool all year round and giving you a restful sleep experience in all seasons.
- This mattress topper is covered with a microfiber cover and filled with a soft density microfiber filling and is ideal for stomach sleepers or back sleepers with lower back pain.
- Machine washable and available in four different topper sizes.
- Available in 8 different sizes and certified to be safe from hazardous chemicals, this foam topper is ideal for cushioning and supporting most sleepers.
- Cooling Gel technology allows for a cool night’s sleep and is swirled into the memory foam for a pleasing marble effect.
- The memory foam will take on your exact shape, hugging your body and providing you with adequate back and hip support to allow you a deep night’s sleep.
- Enjoy a pain-free night, free from your lower back pain or protected from harsh mattress springs.
- Made in the USA with a 3year warranty.
- This mattress topper is overfilled for a plush night’s sleep and to help ease all pain off your back.
- The polyester fiber filling retains its loft and has been stitched into quilted segments to prevent shifting and promote pressure relief.
- The olefin bottom ensures the mattress topper is quick drying and discourages the growth of fungus or bacteria.
- The mattress topper has a skirted rim that can take in a mattress of up to 18 inches thick, doubling as a mattress protector!
- Keep your bed and your back in the best possible condition with this hypoallergenic plush mattress topper.
- This super soft visco elastic memory foam mattress topper is designed to help you sleep deeper with a better posture.
- Open cell technology ensures that the memory foam topper is breathable and allows for air to circulate through it.
- This mattress topper is both hypoallergenic and antimicrobial, encouraging better sleep for those with allergies or respiratory problems.
- Reduce tossing and turning by sleeping on this mattress topper which will, in turn, alleviate pressure points and back pain.
- Includes mattress cover that is breathable and covers your entire mattress for added protection and to ensure the topper doesn’t slide about in the night.
- This gel infused memory foam topper is the perfect aid to a great night’s sleep, adding perfect comfort and conformity to reduce back pain.
- The topper is incredibly well ventilated and has cooling gel infused into it to ensure no overheating and a continuous stream of air flow.
- The memory foam is soft and creates an ideal body contour which will alleviate all pressure points on your back.
- The 3-inch profile of this topper is the perfect thickness for a perfect night of rest, allowing you to sink in without bottoming out your mattress or feeling any loose springs jab your sides.
- The bottom has an anti-slip grip, making it not essential to purchase a skirted mattress pad or protector.
- This mattress topper is a whopping 4 inches thick to help those in need of immediate back pain relief!
- The top 2 inches are made of viscous memory foam, which adapts to your unique body shape and distributes all backpressure evenly, promoting excellent sleep.
- The bottom 2 inches consist of a high-density foam which provides a fantastic backbone of support for your back, making it easier to fall asleep in a correct posture.
- The topper is cooling gel infused for the best possible temperature regulation.
- The foam mattress topper is highly durable and will resist wear and tear excellently.
- Comes included with a worry-free 5-year warranty.
- This down feather alternative mattress topper is luxurious, comfortable and breathable, covered in a 300 thread count cotton cover for superior sleeping.
- 100% hypoallergenic and antimicrobial, the fill of this mattress topper is made using microfiber cluster which emulates duck down feathers.
- This mattress topper is completely silent, ensuring you sleep like a baby without any disturbances when you change sleeping positions.
- The topper is easy to keep clean and is machine washable, allowing you to wet it without disrupting any of the stuffing.
- The top includes an 18 inch skirting around the sides, allowing it to take in mattresses of the same thickness and conferring additional protective benefits.
Comparison Table – Mattress Pads for Back Pain
Characteristics of a Good Mattress Topper for Sleepers with Lower Back Pain
- Firm Back Support
The degree of firmness depends on upon what sleeping position you like to lie in, but ultimately a firmer back support mattress topper that can keep your spine in good shape is ideal. If you are a side sleeper, a slightly softer back support will be needed so that you don’t get hip or shoulder pain.
- Memory Foam
Memory Foam makes the best mattress toppers because it molds to your unique shape, giving you the ultimate buck support in combination with comfort. Memory foam is hypoallergenic and suitable for all sleeping position types. This foam responds to your heat and adapts if you like to change your sleeping position during the night.
- Mattress Topper Height
If you mostly sleep on your back, you need an extra firm mattress topper, which means one that is not very thick or made from a firmer foam base. If you sleep on your side, you will need a thicker mattress topper to give your hips and shoulders enough space. If you sleep on your stomach, you will want a very soft material to pad your tummy.
Comfortable Mattress Topper Materials
The best mattress topper materials will offer you unmatched back support, pressure point alleviation, as well as supreme comfort!
- Memory Foam – Memory foam is a specialised type of foam that adapts to your body shape. When you sleep on top of a memory foam mattress topper, it will create a unique contour of your body shape, which will ensure you remain in the best possible sleeping posture. Memory foam is best when paired with another kind of firm material to provide better support, however on top of most mattresses; it will do just fine.
- High Density Foam – For those who need very firm back support, high density foam is the way forward. High-density foam is the densest of all foam materials, offering precise back support to those who need a reminder of how to correct their posture. Usually, high-density foam is paired with a softer foam for excellent support and ultimate comfort.
- Microfiber Cluster – Microfiber clusters are clusters made from synthetic fibers which emulate luxurious down feathers. The benefits of using microfiber clusters over down feathers are that the cluster fibers are hypoallergenic and do not condone animal cruelty. They offer the same degree of back support and cushiness that you can expect from a down feather topper.
Table of Contents
- Back Pain Causes, Symptoms & Back Problem Diagnosis
- How the Right Mattress Topper Can Help Alleviate Back Pain
- Noteworthy Characteristics of the Best Orthopedic Mattress Pads
- Reviews: The Best Mattress Pads For Back Pain
- ViscoSoft® Cooling Gel Memory Foam Soothing Back Pain Relief Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- ViscoSoft® Gel-Infused Foam Soft Memory Foam Adaptive Back Comfort Mattress Topper
- Pinzon® Microplush Mattress Pad Firmly Stuffed MicroFiber Fill Back Support Mattress Pad
- Exceptional Sheets® Cluster Fiber Fill Down-Alternative Cooling Back Pain Relief Mattress Topper
- PharMeDoc® Orthopedic Memory Foam Breathable Bedtime Back Contour Comfort Mattress Topper
- Lucid® Lavender Infused Memory Foam Mat Molded Back Suspension Lavender Foam Mattress Pad
- Lucid® Cooling Gel Memory Foam Luxurious Gel Foam Topper for Nightly Back Pain Relief
- Pinzon® Microplush Fill Firmly Stuffed Mattress Pad for Gentle Lumbar Support
- Hospitology® Cooling Gel Fill Gel Filled Mattress Topper For Superior Lower Back Comfort
- Hanna Kay® Stretch Polyester One-Size-Fits-All Back Padding Quilted Mattress Topper
- Superior® Down Alternative Fill Hypoallergenic Lower Back Pain Relief Mattress Topper
- Dreamfoam Bedding® Gel Swirl Foam Cooling Memory Foam Lower Back Pain Relief Topper
- Pinzon® Quilted Microfiber Mattress Topper Hypoallergenic Mattress Topper for Back Pain
- Nature’s Sleep® Ultra Soft Mattress Topper Back Supportive Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Lucid® Anti Slip Mattress Topper Gel Foam Topper for Back Pain Relief
- Zinus® Dual Layered Mattress Topper Cooling Back Pain Relief Mattress Topper
- Balichun® Luxury Mattress Topper Cotton Mattress Topper for Back Support
- Comparison Table – Mattress Pads for Back Pain
- Characteristics of a Good Mattress Topper for Sleepers with Lower Back Pain
- Comfortable Mattress Topper Materials