If you love to travel often or go camping, you might know about the pain of finding a way to sleep comfortably.
With the best RV mattress, your camping bedtime experience is about to go from zero to hero!
Read on for more details on different types of mattresses, their best characteristics, and more.
The Biggest Problems With Cheap Camping RV Mattresses
There are a few main problems that come with buying very cheap mattresses for camping.
The first is that the mattresses are usually thinner than ordinary bed mattresses and often are placed on the more uneven ground (grass, sticks, stones).
This can put your back out or make for a very uncomfortable night’s sleep.
The second problem with cheap camper mattresses is that they do not save enough space.
Those with huge RVs do not need to worry so much about this unless going on a long-distance journey, although a big family or a small RV will need more compact options than what is offered at local stores.
Investing in a better quality mattress will save you space, time, further costs in the future, and you will always have great guest bed options at home too!
Different Types of RV Mattresses
These are a few different types of mattress that will transform your RV or camping trip into a luxurious outdoor hotel room experience:
- Air Mattresses – Air mattresses are incredible these days in that they come with inbuilt electronic pumps that inflate or deflate the mattress as you require! The only problem with using an air mattress for camping is that you need to be careful not to place it where it may puncture. Inside an RV, it can save space and usually create an instant top-class bedroom environment. Air mattresses with hard bottoms are also available for extra protection against punctures and to prevent them from slipping around as you sleep.
- Foam Mattresses – The second best bet for an RV mattress is a very comfortable foam mattress. Foam is lightweight, and if thin enough, it can be rolled. Otherwise, one can attach it to the roof rack or store it flat inside the RV. Foam mattresses for RVs are made a lot thinner than ordinary foam mattresses to preserve space. They are still a lot more comfortable to sleep on than thin, outdated roll-up mattresses.
Characteristics of a Good Mattress for RV
Here are some of the best RV mattress features to keep your eyes peeled for:
- Memory Foam – out of all foam, memory foam has an amazing ability to hold your body shape, which allows you to sleep in a good posture all night long.
- Portable Carrier Bags – for mattresses that can be compressed, a small carrier bag is a good indication of the little size they take up inside the RV. Some mattresses can fit inside a wardrobe or cupboard without taking up too much space.
- Electronic Inflation – for an air mattress, an inbuilt electronic pump is a must-have. If you do not have a place to plug it in, you will need to ensure the mattress has rechargeable batteries, too.
- Pressure Point Alleviation – quilts, dents or raised contours are all designs used on mattresses to help alleviate pressure from our backs. Unless made from memory foam (which naturally makes a contour to alleviate back pressure), you should look for these qualities in the mattress.
- Anti-bacterial – most foam mattresses are hypoallergenic and anti-microbial these days. If you are a frequent camper, you will want a mattress that can withstand moisture and the elements. It’s a good idea to invest in something resistant to fungus or bacteria.
Reviews: The Best RV Mattress
Here below is our best selection of RV mattresses.
We hope you love the products we recommend!
Just so you know, We may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
- This is one of the best cost effective air mattresses you will find available!
- A very powerful rotary air pump can have the mattress fully inflated or deflated in under 4 minutes.
- This mattress has a feature known as dream coil technology, meaning that the air fills individual coils and emulates the spring coils used in conventional mattresses (minus anything that might poke into your sides).
- This mattress is designed initially for in-home use but can be used inside an RV or as a camping mattress if you cover the ground first.
- The underside is made from an extra durable material and is covered in an anti-slip, puncture-resistant covering.
- The top is waterproof and extra thick, leaving dents to alleviate pressure points in the back.
- Forty Internal Comfort Coils made entirely of air are there to support you inside your RV for maximum comfort!
- This air mattress is fully equipped with an internal pump – just push one button and have it inflate or deflate in under 4 minutes.
- The material is puncture resistant, although you may need a floor covering for camping trips.
- Completely waterproof and anti-fungal.
- The Sure-Grip bottom enables the mattress to stay in one place when you sleep on it.
- The mattress comes with a convenient carry bag, so you can take it anywhere you go.
- It has a one year guarantee to allow you to try it out.
- This mattress is constructed from three layers of premium quality foam to present you the most optimal RV sleeping experience.
- The first layer consists of 3 inches of memory foam to hold your sleeping posture straight and give you a deeply restful night of sleep (even under the stars!).
- The second layer is 2 inches of cooling foam, so the mattress does not overheat.
- The bottom is made of high-density foam to keep the mattress in place and to allow it to rest on uneven surfaces while still supporting you.
- Dynasty Mattress has done this 12-inch mattress in a slightly shorter size to fit inside an RV.
- This 8 inch mattress is made from a premium firm density memory foam above a layer of high density foam.
- The shorter length makes this mattress easier to store inside an RV when traveling.
- The memory foam is made with a unique cooling gel to ensure it does not overheat.
- Experience the joy of pressure point alleviation thanks to the body contouring properties of memory foam.
- Open-cell technology allows air to flow freely inside the mattress, adding extra heat redistribution away from the sleeper.
- Free of any harmful chemical additives and flame retardants.
- Certi-PUR Certified.
- This mattress is made for those with limited space inside their RV, being 6 inches high.
- The density foam used to make this mattress is enough to protect you from the ground and give your back the support it needs to sleep deeply.
- This mattress is reversible, allowing it to last longer and be used for more camping/RV trips across the state.
- The foam is dust-mite resistant and hypoallergenic, being free of chemicals and additives.
- Serenia Sleep has designed the mattress to fit the bed frames of most RV’s.
- Made with superior quality in the USA.
- Life is not always predictable. This is a great mattress to have if you need a back up sleeping plan in the RV or while camping.
- More portable than other foam mattresses, this dual-layered mattress folds into three parts, forming a “stack of pillows.”
- The top layer of the 6-inch mattress is made from quality memory foam, which can hold your body shape even if you toss and turn at night.
- The bottom layer is made of high-density foam, placed on uneven surfaces or in the RV without any hassles.
- The mattress is hypoallergenic, dust-mite proof, and has an anti-slip bottom.
- This firm support mattress comes in different size options to choose from.
- A Fiber quilted cover and filled with Green tea foam and heavy-duty coil springs.
- The green tea keeps the mattress fresher for longer and eliminates odors.
- High-quality CertiPUR-Certified foam is used for the fill with coil springs in the middle.
- This is a highly versatile and portable mattress that can easily be used in an RV, Caravan, tent, or other purposes.
- Made with high-quality memory foam and covered in a natural and breathable bamboo cover.
- Very easy to clean, and the cover is removable.
- It folds quite compact for easy storage and portability.
- This mattress offer medium to firm support with 9 inches of foam and innerspring pocketed coils.
- Specifically designed t replace the mattress in your RV, mobile home, caravan, or camper.
- It is covered with a washable and highly breathable bamboo cover.
- There are a reinforced lumbar support layer and full foam encasement for better edge support and durability.
- This memory foam mattress topper is designed to conform itself to the body perfectly to help you stay asleep comfortably.
- It provides cushioning to relieve back pain and provide spinal alignment greatly.
- This RV mattress is gel-infused with perforations to provide optimum airflow and ventilation.
- After unrolling this mattress, please allow it to expand for up to 48 hours.
Comparison Table: The Top Rated RV Mattresses
Table of Contents
- The Biggest Problems With Cheap Camping RV Mattresses
- Different Types of RV Mattresses
- Characteristics of a Good Mattress for RV
- Reviews: The Best RV Mattress
- WonderSleep® Luxury Air Mattress Dream Coil Self Inflating RV Air Mattress
- Sound Asleep® Comfort Coil Air Mattress Luxury Deflatable Air RV Mattress
- Dynasty Mattress® Short King RV Mattress Gel Memory Foam RV Mattress
- Serenia Sleep® Memory Foam Mattress Short Queen Body Contouring RV Mattress
- Serenia Sleep® Shallow RV Mattress Basic Density Foam RV Mattress
- Milliard® Foldable RV Mattress Fold-Up Memory Foam Mattress for Your RV
- Zinus® Spring RV Mattress
- TriFold® Cushy Form RV Foldable Mattress
- Parklane Mattresses® Explorer RV Mattress
- subrtex® Gel-Infused Memory Foam RV Mattress
- Comparison Table: The Top Rated RV Mattresses