A good quality soft mattress can be tough to find, especially one that won’t cause harm to your back.
For more on what you need to know before purchasing a soft mattress and the best soft mattress features, continue reading this buyer’s guide down below.
Who Benefits From A Soft Mattress?
Soft mattresses are popular, but they are not suitable for everyone.
Soft mattresses are ideal for stomach sleepers and some side sleepers who prefer to sink into their mattresses.
A soft mattress is easier on the stomach of a stomach sleeper who may otherwise suffer from acid reflux or an uncomfortable bowel while resting.
Side sleepers need extra volume to accommodate their shoulders.
A soft mattress is perfect for gently sinking and getting the extra thick support one needs.
A soft mattress can benefit you if you recover from a severe back injury or operation.
It is recommended to have something more supportive underneath your mattress for back support.
For most, a soft mattress can cause the spine to go out of alignment, and a firm mattress is the best.
A medium soft mattress will support most sleeper profiles.
Soft Mattress Buying Precautions
It would be best to heed a few soft mattress buying considerations before making your decision.
- Ascertain your sleeping position – if you are a back sleeper or in the case of some side sleepers, you will want a firm to a medium soft mattress. Stomach sleepers usually prefer sleeping on soft mattresses but may also want additional support if they have problems with their back or necks.
- Decide on an appropriate Thickness – side sleepers need the thickest mattresses, at least 8 inches thick and up. A stomach or back sleeper can use a less thick mattress. However, the thickness adds to the comfort factor.
- Breathability – good ventilation is very important, especially for a soft mattress which is commonly made from foam. If foam does not have a perforation or does not have a breathable air ventilation system, it can overheat and wake you up in the night with a hot flash.
5 of the Best Soft Mattress Features
Here below of 5 of the most desirable soft mattress features that you should want when you decide to purchase one!
- Over Stuffed – if the mattress is overly stuffed or looks extra plush, there’s a good chance it will sink in and be very soft. It also means that the mattress will likely hold your body shape very well.
- Gel Memory Foam – memory foam is a malleable foam that forms into a contour of your body shape when you heat it. Gel memory foam was created to prevent it from heating up too quickly. It also makes the foam a lot softer and spongier!
- Lateral Contoured Lines – gentle lateral countered foam ridges or padded quilting will help give gentle support and alleviate pressure points for stomach sleepers.
- Spring Foam Hybrid Mattresses – for those who need a little bit more support, a gentle, short-spring mattress will give you the support you need.
- Multiple Foam Layers – having more than one layer of foam makes an ultra-soft mattress with varying degrees of support. The best soft mattresses have a breathable foam layer to allow hot air to be redirected away from the sleeper.
Reviews: The Best Soft Mattresses
Here below are some of the best quality soft mattresses currently available online.
- This ultra-soft mattress from DreamFoam Mattress lets you rest upon what feels like a bed of clouds without compromising good back support!
- The 10-inch mattress constitutes a super soft hyper-flex-foam top layer that rests upon 3 inches of breathable Talalay process latex.
- This triple-layered mattress’s base layer is 6 inches of high-density foam for adequate posture support.
- Allow yourself to sink into this mattress and feel all the tension leave your body as you are cradled to sleep.
- 100% hypoallergenic and free of any harmful chemical additives.
- This 13-inch mattress consists of a superior blend of multiple foam layers to achieve its amazing cloud-like softness!
- The first two layers are two different kinds of memory foam, which are both softer than average memory foam, allowing the sleeper to sink into the mattress.
- The next layers allow optimal ventilation, keeping you cool, and some contouring (which alleviates pressure points and back pain).
- The mattress’s bottom layer is firmer, high-density foam to keep the mattress in one place and support your back optimally.
- The mattress is on par with some of the world’s leading mattress brands but at a fraction of the price.
- The cover is eco-friendly, removable, and machine washable.
- Here is a mattress with a medium softness for those who prefer the middle ground between soft and firm mattresses.
- 7 inch thick springs are individually wrapped for the best silent spring results before being sandwiched between two thin layers of high-density foam.
- The springs create an ergonomic cradle for your body, allowing you to feel weightlessly suspended while you sleep.
- The mattress is covered in a breathable cover and free from flame retardants and other toxic chemicals.
- This is a great mattress to purchase if you have a tight budget, too, under $200.
- Here is a super soft mattress from Zinus, consisting of 3 layers that you can just about fall inside of!
- The top two layers are made of ultra-flexible memory foam and comfort foam, conforming to your body shape and keeping your back pain-free.
- The bottom layer is made of firm foam to hold you up while you melt into the mattress and a night of deep sleep.
- This mattress is infused with two organic ingredients, Green Tea extract and Castor Seed Oil, to reduce odor and remove bacteria.
- Ideal for stomach sleepers, side sleepers, back sleepers, and those with allergies or sensitivities.
- Tuft & Needle went fully out of their way to create a perfect soft mattress in all of existence.
- This mattress is made from their secret Adaptive foam blend, which is much softer than memory foam and lets you sink in while still enjoying a bounce on your bed.
- The mattress is designed to remove all pressure from your back, neck, hips, and entire body.
- Infused with graphite and cooling Gel, the mattress will always remain the perfect temperature to sleep on.
- The graphite will also remove odors in the mattress and confers antimicrobial effects.
- 100% hypoallergenic.
- Here is a brilliant and soft mattress pad for those who need a quick soft bed solution.
- Filled with a very soft polyester filling and held in a quilted design, this mattress pad will add to any mattress’s comfort.
- Easy to maintain, one needs to throw this protective bed pad into the washing machine to keep it clean.
- This mattress pad will protect you from dust mites, allergens, pet dander, and other dander that could be lurking in your mattress.
- 100% hypoallergenic and antibacterial.
- Free from any harmful chemical additives such as phthalates and vinyl.
- This is the 800 Series design Pocketed Coil technology mattress from Beauty Rest which has one of the world’s best support systems in a mattress.
- The Dual Technology infusions keep the mattress fresh and allergen-free.
- This is a very soft mattress with Gel memory foam layers plush yet still provide ample lumbar support.
- A Euro Pillow top Style that is more soft and comfortable.
- The Sweetnight is a very plush and soft memory foam mattress that also provides effective support to prevent back and hip pain.
- It is filled with layers of plush and soft Memory foam infused with Gel to disperse body heat and keep you cool.
- Complete motion isolation and a Cloud Like sleeping experience.
- The CertiPUr-Certified foam layer is zoned and layered uniquely for softness and complete support; there is also a soft and comfortable hypoallergenic rayon cover.
- This is a Hybrid styled foam and spring Mattress that offers you a medium to more soft and plush feel, as well as a weightless sleeping experience.
- Individually pocketed springs work independently to support your entire body from head to toes.
- A luxury multi-layered foam support and comfort system absorbs pressure and buffers your body.
- Lastly, all the materials and cover are highly breathable and will keep you cool and comfortable all night.
- This a high-density memory foam designed to be durable and long-lasting.
- It is 8-inch thick, made with three layers of foam.
- The first layer is made with 2-inch gel-infused memory foam with a ventilated design to regulate body temperature and provide a cool sleeping environment.
- It is followed by a second layer of 2-inch comfort foam and another layer of the 4-inch thick high-density foam base.
Comparison Table: The Top Best Soft Mattresses
Table of Contents
- Who Benefits From A Soft Mattress?
- Soft Mattress Buying Precautions
- 5 of the Best Soft Mattress Features
- Reviews: The Best Soft Mattresses
- DreamFoam Mattress® Ultra Plush Mattress Tri Layered Soft Foam Mattress
- Dynasty Mattress® Luxuriously Soft Mattress Superior Tempurpedic Cloud Soft Mattress
- Signature Sleep® Foam Spring Mattress Medium Soft Support Mattress
- Zinus® Soft Green Tea Mattress Pressure Relieving Impressionable Foam Mattress
- Tuft and Needle® Supreme Soft Mattress Highly Adaptive Luxury Soft Support Mattress
- Bedsure® Soft Mattress Pad Soft Protective Mattress Pad for Extra Comfort
- Simmons® Beautyrest BR800 Queen Soft Mattress
- SweetNight® Queen Soft memory Foam Mattress
- Vesgantti® 10.2 Hybrid Soft Mattress
- Subrtex® Soft Memory Foam Mattress
- Comparison Table: The Top Best Soft Mattresses