In medical therapy, waterbeds were used to prevent bedsores during the early and late 19th century.
Fast forward to today, waterbed mattresses have gained a pretty solid fan following.
Want to find out more about waterbeds? Please take a look below at our buying guide.
Health Benefits of Waterbed
- Back pain relief: Waterbeds equally distribute weight across the whole body, take the pressure off the back, and evenly support all joints. They also aid in relaxing the lumbar and lower back muscles. The result – less pain and discomfort.
- Arthritis relief: Waterbed mattresses help Arthritis patients. A waterbed lets you sleep comfortably by reducing the pressure applied to the joints and muscles. Certain models come with a regulated heating option to soothe the pain.
- Good for insomniacs: Insomnia affects everyone at one point or another in life. Sleeping disorders can be treated to a greater extent by sleeping on a waterbed. By easing the weight distribution, naturally reduces the time it takes for an insomniac person to sleep.
- Great for bedsores: Waterbed is a good option for disabled or bedridden patients with bedsores. These mattresses minimize the pressure exerted on the body. Plus, it will promote circulation and reduce the risk of blood clotting.
- For allergies: The waterbed has a clean surface and won’t absorb dust, allergens, or skin irritants. So it is suitable for people with allergies as well.
Types of Support in Waterbed Mattress
Depending on the support requirement, waterbeds are usually of two types.
- Hard-sided waterbeds: This type of waterbed mattress needs a special frame, usually wood, to support the sides and base. Without a solid frame, they can’t hold the shape and flop out sideways. They are inexpensive.
- Soft-sided waterbeds: A soft side waterbed mattress is constructed more sturdily and robustly and does not need frame support. Zippered inside a soft fabric cover, they have sturdy sides that stand alone. They are pricier compared to hard-sided waterbeds
Types of Degree of Motion in Waterbed Mattress
According to degrees of motion, waterbeds are classified into three types.
- Free flow waterbeds: Water flows freely in them; there is a frame requirement to keep it in place; there will be a significant transfer of motion when the sleeping partner gets up.
- Semi-waveless waterbeds: Foam is added to reduce the floating feeling.
- Waveless waterbeds: There are no motions and waves in this type. A combination usually makes it foam and fiber. It also includes air pockets to reduce waves.
Factors To Consider Before Buying Waterbed Mattresses
- Size: Know the measurements if you plan to buy wooden frame waterbeds.
- Comfort: Comfort depends on the firmness. The firmness level can be increased by adding more water. Remember not to overfill the mattress. The material used also influences the comfort level.
- Noise: When not properly filled, the waterbed makes a water splashing-like noise. Follow the manual to fill the right amount of water into the mattress.
- Durability: Obviously, it depends on how you handle the mattresses. When properly maintained, they can last 15 -20 years. Don’t forget to keep pets away from waterbeds.
- Price: It’s no secret that waterbed mattresses are costlier than regular mattresses. The waveless mattress is expensive than semi-waveless and free flow waterbeds.
Reviews: The Best Waterbed Mattress
- InnoMax has been around for more than half a century now and has built up many premium and reliable water mattresses.
- INNOMAX Genesis 400 Gentle Wave King Waterbed Mattress has a multi-layer wave elimination system.
- The 4-way tether system keeps the three fiber support layers shifting around when you fill or drain the waterbed.
- The InnoMax Genesis waterbed mattress is designed for comfort and durability. Plus, it ensures head to toe alignment as defined by Physicians.
- Made with premium 20 mil paralyzed Vinyl, this waterbed mattress is the perfect choice for anyone looking for a premium-quality waterbed.
- Gentle Wave Waterbed Mattress.
- Multi-layer wave elimination.
- 20 mils paralyzed Vinyl cover.
- Only available in one size.
- InnoMax Sanctuary Free Flow Waterbed Mattress comes with a weightless feel that has waveless performance.
- It provides true InnoMax SG1 Full Depth Flotation and Full Motion Performance for a top-notch hydrodynamic sleeping experience.
- Other key features include body contouring, low tension sleep surface, and gravity-neutral fluid suspension.
- The T-corner lap seam construction and double reinforced corners contribute to the mattress’s durability.
- SG1 (Specific Gravity 1) Low Tension Mattress (LTM) surface offers superior lumbar support, body alignment, and better sleep.
- Backed with a 20-year warranty, this is one of the best waterbed mattresses available online.
- Full Wave Waterbed Mattress.
- No Wave Reduction.
- King size.
- Weightless feel.
- Initial chemical smell.
- From a brand known for providing top-notch sleep products, this semi-waveless waterbed mattress is a premium deal you shouldn’t overlook.
- Movement lasts for 8-10 seconds. Besides giving a floating feel, this waterbed lets your muscles relax, reduce pressure, and evenly distribute the body weight.
- With 24 Mil virgin vinyl with extra reinforced corners, it is durable, long-lasting, and reliable.
- It comes with a 12-year warranty and a premium 4 oz Clear Bottle Conditioner, so you don’t need to purchase it separately.
- Plus, there are absolutely no creases in this waterbed, and all corners are perfectly puckered.
- In short, we don’t find any reason for you not to buy this semi-waveless waterbed mattress.
- Semi Waveless Waterbed Mattress.
- 24 Mil Vinyl cover.
- Reinforced cover.
- Can be a little heavy.
- Maybe hard for some people.
- Made by Better Sleep, this water mattress also assures you of “Sound Sleep.”
- Its smooth texture is safe for all skin types. You won’t experience any chafing, sweating, or heavy stickiness on the bare skin.
- Additionally, it has a low profile for hassle-free getting in and off the bed. It doesn’t produce any noises either.
- Measuring 84 x 48 x 9.5 inches gives two persons ample space to sleep on it comfortably.
- The water mattress comprises premium vinyl that can endure abrasion, impact, and pressure. You don’t have to worry about leaks and damages as well.
- The 8-10 second movement contributes to your comfort, whereas the 12-year warranty gives you peace of mind knowing that you are investing in the right waterbed.
- The Innomax Genesis 800 Ultra is a King-size waveless waterbed mattress with gravity neutral fluid suspension that aids in body support.
- The multi-layer system practically eliminates movement in the waterbed to contour to your body.
- It also allows for a comfortable sleeping experience as near perfect alignment of your body.
- The waveless performance and full depth floatation ensure your lumbar area is well supported, so you no longer wake up tired or with back pain.
- The 4-way tethered support enhances the stability, and the cover is premium 24 mil premium vinyl.
- A waveless and comfortable water mattress designed with a 4-way memory stretch tether system.
- There is a four-wave reduction system that reduces motion by 99%.
- Durable and tough design that will last very long.
- It comes in a California King size and a full fill kit and conditioner.
- A waveless hard side waterbed mattress comes fully with liner, mattress pad, heater, fill and drain kit.
- Very high quality and heavy-duty vinyl design.
- There is a 95% motion reduction technology design and a four-layer wave reduction system.
- Generously cut virgin vinyl is used for better-contoured support.
- A Freeflow waterbed mattress in a cal-Queen size.
- Full motion allowance and comfort with no restrictions.
- Includes the installation instructions and an added bottle of conditioner.
- This is a Strobel Organic molded waterbed mattress.
- It features a unique deep molded “Feathertop” surface designed to relieve surface tension.
- It also reduces pressure to allow proper flotation for a peaceful sleep.
- The mattress is designed with a 1-layer level fiber waveless system for full-body support.
- This is a 99% Waveless mattress for California king hardside waterbed.
- It provides contoured back support to allow you to sink into the mattress and get maximum comfort.
- The mattress comes enclosed in a premium quality Vinyl cover with reinforced corners for support.
- It may cause 1 to 2 seconds of slow movement.
Index Table: Top Rated Waterbed Mattress
|1||INNOMAX Genesis 400 - Waterbed Mattresses||INNOMAX||98.1|
|2||INNOMAX Free Flow - Full Wave Waterbed||INNOMAX||98|
|3||Classic Mattress California King - Semi Waveless Waterbed||Classic Mattress||96|
|4||Better Sleep Super Single - Semi Waveless Waterbed||Better Sleep||97|
|5||INNOMAX Genesis 800 - Ultra Waveless Waterbed Mattresses||INNOMAX||98|
|6||Boyd Speciality Sleep California King - Waveless Water Mattress||Boyd Speciality Sleep||97|
|7||Waterbed Hardside - Waterbed Mattress||Waterbed||97|
|8||Classic Mattress and Aqua Fusion Mattres-Cal - Queen Sized Water Mattress||Classic Mattress and Aqua Fusion||97|
|9||Strobel Organic Hydro-Support - Premium Waterbed Mattress||Strobel Organic||96.5|
|10||U.S. Water California King - Waveless Waterbed||U.S. Water||95.9|
Table of Contents
- Health Benefits of Waterbed
- Types of Support in Waterbed Mattress
- Types of Degree of Motion in Waterbed Mattress
- Factors To Consider Before Buying Waterbed Mattresses
- Reviews: The Best Waterbed Mattress
- INNOMAX® Genesis 400 Waterbed Mattresses
- INNOMAX® Free Flow Full Wave Waterbed
- Classic Mattress® California King Semi Waveless Waterbed
- Better Sleep® Super Single Semi Waveless Waterbed
- INNOMAX® Genesis 800 Ultra Waveless Waterbed Mattresses
- Boyd Speciality Sleep® California King Waveless Water Mattress
- Waterbed® Hardside Waterbed Mattress
- Classic Mattress and Aqua Fusion® Mattres-Cal Queen Sized Water Mattress
- Strobel Organic® Hydro-Support Premium Waterbed Mattress
- U.S. Water® California King Waveless Waterbed
- Index Table: Top Rated Waterbed Mattress