If you are one among the 540 million people who suffer from lower back pain (LBP), you’ll do anything and everything to make it stop.
But, because that’s a little too much (well, considering your pain), your best bet is to get a new mattress.
We’ll break down the best mattress for lower back pain and tips to choose to ease your mattress hunting struggles.
Back Pain and Mattress – What’s The Connection?
LBP is one of the most prevalent causes of disability. Now add that with a hunched posture, wrong sleeping positions, and most importantly, wrong mattresses. Sure, there are other factors that contribute to lower back pain. However, there are some ways to tell if your mattress is the real culprit.
The time when the pain occurs is your first clue. If your back aches when you first wake up, but it goes away within 15-30 minutes, then that is an important warning that you should upgrade your mattress.
Do you find yourself waking up frequently in the middle of the night or toss and turn in the hope to get some sleep? That’s the second warning.
So how do you deal with the back pain? By choosing a mattress for lower back pain that provides better sleeping posture, relaxes muscles and gives wholesome sleep.
Best Mattress Material is To Reduce Back Pain?
The type of mattress material can be determined by the extent of pain and your sleeping positions – back, side or stomach.
Memory Foam: A memory foam mattress can help reduce lower back pain by facilitating optimal spinal alignment and support. They provide better contouring, reduce pressure points, and give enough firmness for full-body support.
Latex: Due to its buoyant quality, latex provides both surface cushion and firmness. Also, it cradles the body, while supporting your lower back. The result – pressure point relief and full-body alignment. Great for people with chronic lower back pain. Not to forget, they are expensive and offers less contouring.
Innerspring: With hundred of wrapped coils or spring system, the innerspring options provide full body support and contouring benefits to ease the pain.
Choose The Right Mattress To Reduce Lower Back Pain
When choosing a mattress for LBP, there are a few things you should consider.
- If you are a back-sleeper, ensure the mattress is thick and firm enough to support your lower back. It should also be soft enough to contour to the body. Three rules to remember: the stiffer the mattress, the more it will push against your spine; extra soft, delicate mattress is a strict ‘no-no’; the medium firm ideal is a great pick, here.
For side sleepers, you need a mattress that cushions the shoulders and hips. A mattress with slight to medium thickness would be great.
Stomach sleepers (many people with lower back pain sleep this way) need a firmer mattress to add cushiony comfort to their tummy.
Most of us tend to sleep with a combination of all the above styles, meaning there will be a lot of movement in the bed. The memory foam mattresses, which offers great motion isolation, while still being soft and firm are ideal for ‘combination sleepers’.
Reviews: Best Mattress For Lower Back Pain
- With the 12-inch AS2, Amerisleep has a thick layer of plant derived memory foam with a supportive, high-quality base layer. Ideal for people with lower back pain.
The medium-firm mattress contours, cushions and relieve pressure points. It also ensures optimal spinal alignment to fight off LBP.
The eco-friendly foam is breathable and keeps the side and back sleepers cool.
Moreover, it bounces back to its original shape. If you shift positions frequently, you won’t get stuck in ruts.
The manufacturer offers a risk-free 100-nights trial, so you can test before spending literally a fortune on this mattress.
- You don’t have to come in terms with your back pain just because you can’t buy AMERISLEEP mattress for lower back pain.
Linenspa Hybrid Mattress is super affordable and thousands of users are going gaga over its ability to reduce back pain.
This 8-inch mattress is medium firm and combines memory foam with innerspring mattress. Topped with a 1.5-inch layer of memory foam over the innerspring, it will support your body as you sleep and reduces pressure points.
The innersprings don’t make any noise when you shift at night. Plus, you can kiss goodbye to sleepless nights.
- Designed with three layers all-foam system, Sweetnight gel memory foam mattress is synonymous with pressure point relief, perfect body alignment, and heat dissipation.
This mattress is highly regarded as effective for helping those with chronic lower back pain and neck pain.
Its 3.5” air flow foam design right cushioning and support. 5.5” high-density foam, on the other hand, offers solid-edge seating support to prevent sagging and mattress roll-off.
It is hypoallergenic, too – thanks to the CertiPUR-US Certified foam that is free of toxic chemicals like formaldehyde, mercury, and other heavy metals.
Best part – the queen size mattress comes with a 10 years warranty.
- If you sleep on your stomach, a firm mattress will put additional pressure on the stomach and ribs. Plus, chances are that your spine may go out of alignment and cause back pain.
Fret not. LUCID 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress will make the stomach sleeping more comfortable and pain-free.
It is made with two layers—a 7.5-inch high-density foam base to give excellent support for your muscles and a 2.5-inch gel-infused memory foam surface for temperature regulation.
It also has moisture-controlling TENCEL blend fabric cover to provide ample ventilation.
CertiPUR-US certified for safety and performance, buy it without second thoughts.
- While it doesn’t come cheap, Sleep Innovations Shea 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress with Quilted Cover is another best mattress for lower back pain.
Suitable for side and back sleepers and all body types, this medium feel mattress is a head-to-toe healing (or sleeping?) therapy to relieve pain.
The SureTemp memory foam on the top layer and Support-Plus foam on the bottom layer ensure body alignment. It also soothes the pressure points.
It comes compressed and rolled in a box with a 10-year warranty.
Index Table: Top Rated Mattresses For Lower Back Pain
|1||AMERISLEEP Memory Foam - Mattress||AMERISLEEP||98|
|2||Linenspa Hybrid - Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress||Linenspa||97|
|3||Sweetnight Gel Memory Foam - Mattress||Sweetnight||98|
|4||LUCID Gel Memory Foam - Mattress||LUCID||97|
|5||Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Mattress - Quilted Cover||Sleep Innovations||98|
Table of Contents
- Back Pain and Mattress – What’s The Connection?
- Best Mattress Material is To Reduce Back Pain?
- Choose The Right Mattress To Reduce Lower Back Pain
- Reviews: Best Mattress For Lower Back Pain
- Index Table: Top Rated Mattresses For Lower Back Pain