If you are on the hunt for the best futon mattress for your new apartment or guest suite, you came to the right page!
Below we will discuss what futon mattresses are versus Japanese Futons, what points you should consider before buying a futon mattress as well as summing up some of their best features.
What is a Futon Mattress?
A futon is typically a low lying sofa bed that has many unique applications.
These sofa beds can be folded two or three different ways, and many of them allow you to choose which side to lift up to transform it into a couch.
A futon that can be folded three ways is often able to be used as a reclining sofa or a reclining bed.
A futon mattress is a mattress that is used on a futon frame, allowing it to be both a sofa and a bed.
Futon mattresses fold the same way the frames do and are often filled with more flexible materials than an ordinary bed mattress (such as cotton or foam batting).
The futon mattress discussed above is referred to as a Western Futon mattress.
These futons vastly differ from Japanese Futon Mattresses, which is actually where Futons originated from.
A Japanese Futon is a Japanese bedding system, comprising of a special roll-up mattress and a futon bed sheet.
Japanese futons are used directly on the floor at night and are rolled up and stored away in the day.
Considerations for Buying a Futon Mattress
Before you go and buy a futon mattress and frame, there are a few helpful points one can consider.
- Number of Folds – Futon mattresses fold over in one of two ways: trifold or bi-fold. Each of these futon types can be used for different purposes when put on a futon frame. A tri-folding futon can fold over three times and can be used on a tri-fold frame which usually has more positions and applications that a bi-fold frame. A bi-fold futon mattress is usually better suited to sleeping on.
- Thickness – Futon mattresses come in different thicknesses from 6 inches to 12 inches. If you are using a hardwood frame or are a heavier person, opt for a thicker futon mattress. If you are more slender or are using a lighter steel frame, a thinner futon mattress will do the trick.
- Materials – The more layers your futon has, the more comfortable it will feel. Futons are usually made with a combination of cotton batting or foam, but occasionally springs are used for ultimate comfort.
Features of a Good Futon Mattress
These features make up some of the best futon qualities available.
- Memory Foam – Memory foam is ideal for those who suffer from back or neck pain while sleeping. Memory foam makes a unique outline of your body shape, keeping you in a comfortable posture and letting you sink in without compromising back support.
- Hybrid Mattresses – Hybrid mattresses are a term used for mattresses that have both foam and coils in different layers. A hybrid mattress combines the comfort and durability of foam with the stability and support of inner springs. These mattresses make the best futon mattresses!
- Reversible – A reversible futon mattress is a great idea if you intend to have guests over for longer stays or are planning to sleep on the mattress yourself. This allows you to flip the mattress over to prevent denting over time.
- Antibacterial – Some futon mattresses are covered with an antibacterial fabric or are treated with an antibacterial substance to prevent mold and other organisms from growing on the mattress.
- Even Weight Distribution – An evenly weighted mattress ensures that the futon mattress does not slip off the futon when you lay or sit down on it.
- Design – Consider throwing some of the best throw pillows over the futon mattress to make its spot more fashionable.
Reviews: The Best Futon Mattress
In this section, we have taken the liberty of reviewing a few of the best futon mattresses that you can purchase online. Have a look and click your favorites for more information.
- This bi-folding mattress offers the best of both worlds, being a combination of springs and high-density foam that has been wrapped in soft polyester batting.
- It contains 522 coils for the best sleeper couch experience imaginable!
- The innerspring coils are all 15-gauge coils, each independently wrapped for superior comfort and body conformity.
- The futon mattress provides medium back support with quilted sections for pressure point alleviation.
- Covered in a microfiber mattress cover for good grip and easy spot-clean maintenance.
- This mattress will work on any bi-folding futon frame, whether you have a wooden or steel one.
- This cotton foam blend from Serta provides 8 inches of medium thickness, designed to give firm back support and for use on wood or steel frames.
- The pure cotton cover is soft and breathable, ensuring a luxurious sleep with or without a futon cover.
- The futon mattress has a bi-layered construction, made of a unique tufted foam core wrapped in a durable cotton batting blend.
- The cotton batting is made of Cottonique, an improved polyester-cotton fiber formula for enhanced durability that will outlast ordinary cotton batting.
- The mattress has a five-year warranty.
- Made in USA.
- This futon set consists of a hardwood frame futon and a medium firm 8 inch futon mattress, ideal for guests or a small apartment.
- Four layers of high-density foam, form the mattress core, which has been surrounded by a cotton batting blend for medium firm support.
- The cotton batting is made with a mixture of unique fibers to enhance the lifespan of the mattress and to improve back support.
- The frame can move in three different positions for great comfort in either a resting, reclining or upright seated position.
- Includes a five-year warranty on the frame and a four-year warranty on the mattress.
- Made in USA.
- This futon mattress come with a sturdy 12 inch profile, suitable for those with big bones, extra weight or who own a heavy duty wooden futon frame.
- The mattress is reversible and lightweight, making it easy to flip over when you want to use it as a sofa or a bed.
- The inside is thickly stuffed with soft cotton batting which has been wrapped in quality foam for the best back support possible.
- The futon mattress is available in 8 colors, chosen by the manufacturers to enhance the interior of your home in the way you want to.
- The fabric has been lace tufted onto the mattress for ultimate comfort and optimal back pressure relief.
- This 8 inch futon mattress is ideal for use as a guest bed as well as a sofa on a steel futon frame.
- The batting consists of Microfiber Polyester, which wraps around a high-density fiber foam core for optimal comfort and firm back support.
- The cover is made from breathable polyester fibers, allowing your skin to breathe when you sleep or sit on it.
- This mattress is lightweight and easy to flip over should you need to change sides.
- Ideal for kitting out a guest bedroom with a very tight budget.
- A comfortable and versatile mattress that can be used as a futon mattress or floor mattress to sleep on.
- The cover material consists of 100% pure and breathable cotton and the fill is high-quality memory foam.
- This mattress also comes in a variety of colorful options for you to choose from.
- This mattress is almost 17 inches thick before the quilting layer and offers superb comfort and support.
- A twin Xl sized futon mattress with many versatile uses as a futon or floor mattress.
- Classic Japanese craftsmanship in this Shiki design mattress made in Japan.
- A Three-layered volume mattress with a 100% cotton cover and polyester fill.
- Ais in keeping you cool and dry, while controlling moisture.
- High-quality design and quality craftsmanship.
- An all-natural and comfortable twin-sized futon mattress with a 4-inch thickness.
- The surface is firm and there is a 100% cotton cover.
- Filled with 4 inches of all-natural and fine quality organic cotton.
- Comes in a few neutral color options that you can choose from.
Index Table: Top Rated Futon Mattresses
|1||DHP Premium Hybrid Futon Mattress - Foam Spring Hybrid Futon Mattress||DHP||98.7|
|2||Serta Medium Thick Futon Mattress - Foam Cotton Matting Futon Mattress||Serta||95|
|3||Nirvana Futons Eastridge Futon Set - Wood Futon Frame & Medium Mattress||Nirvana Futons||97|
|4||Mozaic Flip Over Futon Mattress - Extra Thick Futon Mattress||Mozaic||96|
|5||Classic Brands Futon Mattress - Medium FirmFuton Mattress||Classic Brands||91|
|6||Maxyoyo Japanese - Floor and Futon Mattress||Maxyoyo||97|
|7||FULI Traditional - Shiki Futon||FULI||96|
|8||Gold Bond 060400-001 4 Inch - Twin Futon Mattress||Gold Bond||98|
Table of Contents
- What is a Futon Mattress?
- Considerations for Buying a Futon Mattress
- Features of a Good Futon Mattress
- Reviews: The Best Futon Mattress
- DHP® Premium Hybrid Futon Mattress Foam Spring Hybrid Futon Mattress
- Serta® Medium Thick Futon Mattress Foam Cotton Matting Futon Mattress
- Nirvana Futons® Eastridge Futon Set Wood Futon Frame & Medium Mattress
- Mozaic® Flip Over Futon Mattress Extra Thick Futon Mattress
- Classic Brands® Futon Mattress Medium FirmFuton Mattress
- Maxyoyo® Japanese Floor and Futon Mattress
- FULI® Traditional Shiki Futon
- Gold Bond® 060400-001 4 Inch Twin Futon Mattress
- Index Table: Top Rated Futon Mattresses