Sure, aging is inevitable, but losing sleep due to your mattress doesn’t have to be! Whether you’re managing age-related aches and pains, or you’ve realized you need a new mattress, this article is for you.
Read on to learn how mattress affects your sleep quality, some mattress buying considerations for seniors, and our choices for the best mattresses for seniors currently sold.
How Aging Affects Sleeping?
Trouble falling asleep and sleep disturbances are more common among the elderly. The causes vary; some seniors experience insomnia due to anxiety about aging or age-related ailments, while others have a hard time sleeping due to prescription medications.
Some other reasons for seniors to lose sleep include:
- Arthritis, inflammation of the joints that causes severe pain.
- Fibromyalgia, a musculoskeletal disorder that causes pain all over the body.
- Scoliosis, a sideways curvature of the spine. It is associated with chronic pain in the neck, shoulders, and lower back.
- Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and other forms of dementia have direct links with serious sleep disorders.
- Diabetes and prostate problems, that lead to frequent urination at night.
- Heart failure, kidney disease, and other conditions cause chronic discomfort, making it more difficult to fall asleep.
How Mattress Helps Seniors To Catch Good Sleep?
While the sleep cycle varies from person to person, an older adult requires at least 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep per night. And, the time spent slumbering – or tossing and turning — depends a lot on the mattress.
If the mattress does not properly support the spine, then even a long night’s sleep will not be enough to keep a person charged. Not to mention the back pain one experiences in the morning. In contrast, one will feel fully charged on the perfect mattress.
Another way that the mattress affects sleep patterns is with the blood capillaries that run underneath the skin. When a person lies on a stiff bed or any side for a longer time, it may restrict blood flow: the result – lots of tossing and turning and disrupted sleep.
Ideally, a ‘good’ mattress reduces the pressure points and gives you a better night’s sleep.
Choosing A Mattress For Seniors
Investing in a good mattress that provides equal parts comfort and equal parts support is extremely important for any senior person. Luckily, there are numerous mattresses specially made for seniors. For example, mattresses for seniors with arthritis, mattress for seniors with back pain, mattress for elderly edge support, and so on.
- Mattress Height: Seniors will have difficulties getting in and out of bed with a mattress that is too high. So, the recommended bed height for seniors is usually about 10-inches.
- Firmness: Choosing the ‘right’ firmness is also important, and you should choose one that will suit a senior’s health and body needs. Memory foam and latex models are good choices for the elderly. Hybrids also work well.
- Coil Count: As a general rule, the higher the number of coils, the more support body will get. But try not to choose a mattress that will be too firm because they worsen pressure-related discomfort.
- Quality: Buy a model that will adapt to the body with time and provide you with the right amount of support. Innerspring, latex, and/or memory foam mattresses will last longer. If you prefer latex mattresses, then opt for organic latex mattresses.
- Cooling: Ventilation and breathability are important, especially to those who tend to sleep hot or restless during sleep. A breathable mattress for seniors allows the air to circulate freely through the bed, which keeps the sleeper cool and comfortable. Example: Traditional spring coil models and Gel memory foam mattresses.
Reviews: Best Mattress For Elderly
- Meet PrimaSleep Memory Foam Mattress, the multi-layered bedding that provides a good body hug and restful sleep at night.
- It has multiple foam layers to add up to the sleeping experience. The gel foam layer helps prevent temperature accumulation and gives a cool sleeping experience; Convoluted foam provides excellent ventilation and disperses body pressure. The 5 inch HD foam properly supports the sleeper’s back.
- Within minutes of lying down, the mattress targets pressure build-up areas and relieve the pressure while providing great support for the neck, shoulder, and back.
- The mattress also has a poly Jacquard cover to provide better breathability and keep it fresh and clean.
- 9-Inch memory foam.
- Multi-Layered design.
- Variety of size options.
- May did not give best results without pocket springs.
- Meet one of the world’s most comfortable, breathable, and healthiest latex mattress by Zenhaven. Its hypoallergenic properties prevent mold as well as dust mites.
- Made of 100% TALALAY latex, it has a unique 5-Zone comfort layer that supports the proper neck, shoulder, and spine alignment in elderly people.
- It counters body heat and provides a super cool, breathable sleep experience thanks to the open cell structure included for free airflow.
- Featuring advanced 2-in-1 comfort technology, seniors can choose between a gentle firm or luxury plush firmness just by flipping this mattress over.
- Above all, Zenhaven will treat you with a 120-night trial, free shipping & setup, a 15-year warranty, and 24/7 customer service.
- Constructed with 100% Talalay Latex.
- 5-zone comfort layers.
- Plush firmness.
- Initial chemical smell.
- No size options.
- Blissful Nights Pearl and Cool Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress is a high-tech mattress for the elderly that will revolutionize the way they sleep.
- With adjustable bed bases and patented wedge support, offer a sleeping surface perfect for relaxing the aching muscles and joints.
- It has a proprietary air channel base and articulates groves to regulate temperature and bend better with an adjustable base.
- It features dual massage motors with three intensity levels, 30-degree head tilt, and independent head up and foots up features to add personalized comfort.
- The elderly can also reap the benefits of Anti Snore, Zero Gravity, One Touch Flat, and Custom Memory Presets, too.
- Especially useful for the seniors with back pain or arthritis, using the techy mattress is easy – download the mobile application: “Ananda Base Wifi” and use it as a remote.
- 14-Inch Memory foam.
- Ventilated design.
- Comes in a variety of sizes.
- Maybe too expensive for people on a budget.
- Can be too firm for some people.
- Made of natural, organic latex in three different layers of firmness, this is the ideal mattress for seniors who love to sleep cool. These latex layers are adjustable as well.
- This is an excellent mattress for seniors with back pain because latex is highly responsive to the body’s curves, which ultimately helps reduce all aches.
- The range for firmness is from medium to medium-firm. The elderly sleeper who is thin or sleeps on his/her back or stomach may choose the medium firmness.
- The medium – firm is a good choice for side sleepers, those who toss and turn frequently, or those who weigh more, especially over two hundred pounds.
- Moreover, it is a safe bet for seniors sensitive to allergens and strong odors. It comes with CertiPUR certification and doesn’t emit harmful gasses or odors.
- Available in 4 different thicknesses from 8 inches to 13 inches, this cooling gel memory foam mattress is a top-notch mattress presented by Zinus.
- This hybrid mattress includes green tea extract infused comfortable foam and hundreds of individual coils to provide additional stable support for the aging shoulders and hips.
- 7 1/2 inch coils minimize motion transfer making this ideal for elderly couples (our recommendation is the 12-inch memory model).
- It contains three layers of memory foam. Two layers of comfort foam to relieve pressure points and the third layer of higher density foam for extra support.
- Being a CertiPUR certified mattress for the elderly means you can be sure it meets strict quality requirements.
- A latex hybrid mattress with high-quality steel pocketed coils.
- Increases airflow and isolates motion while comforting your individual sleeping styles.
- The perfect mattress with the comfort of memory foam and coils’ support.
- Hypoallergenic and completely non-toxic design.
- The Spectra mattress offers superb quality technologies ideal for elderly couples and persons.
- There are quite pocket coils in the center and memory foam tops.
- Offer therapeutic comfort and support, aiming to align your spine and reduce pressure points.
- A Knife-edge pillow design with an extra cushioned top layer.
- Comfortable Orthopedic style memory foam and cooling gel mattress.
- Motion isolation for complete undisturbed sleep.
- The memory foam is CentiPUR-Certified for purity and quality.
- There are also 3-Zones of pocketed springs that are contoured for optimal support.
- A Quilted pillow top with a cover that is hypoallergenic and skin-friendly
- This mattress pad is designed to protect and shield the mattress and furniture from getting wet.
- It features a smooth side and a soft quilted side that feels luxurious to the skin.
- It comes in various sizes for wheelchairs, carts, beds, chairs, couches, etc.
- The bed pad is made from 55% Cotton and 45% Polyester blend to make it absorbent and soft at the same time.
- This bed underpaid is designed to absorb all fluids to keep the mattress and furniture safe.
- The sheet protector is soft, noiseless, and provides exceptional coverage.
- It features a waterproof base layer with a non-slip finish to ensure the pad stays in place.
- The mattress pad also includes an inner layer made of an ultra-dense composite material for maximum absorbency.
Index Table: Top Rated Mattress For Elderly
|1||PrimaSleep Multi Layered - Memory Foam Mattress||PrimaSleep||97.5|
|2||Pure Green Sleep on Latex - Latex Mattress||Pure Green||97|
|3||Classic Brands Ananda - Pearl and Cool Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress||Classic Brands||97|
|4||PlushBeds Memory Foam - Sofa Bed Mattress||PlushBeds||97|
|5||Zinus Memory Foam - Green Tea Mattress||Zinus||98|
|6||Lucid Twin XL - Latex mattress for Seniors||Lucid||98|
|7||Spectra Double Sided - Coil Mattress for the Elderly||Spectra||97|
|8||Sweetnight King - Mattress for the Elderly||Sweetnight||98|
|9||Royal Care Incontinence - Bed Pads for Seniors||Royal Care||97.5|
|10||Vive Store Heavy Duty - Incontinence Bed Pad||Vive Store||96.8|
Want to know the best mattress for your kids? Click here
Table of Contents
- How Aging Affects Sleeping?
- How Mattress Helps Seniors To Catch Good Sleep?
- Choosing A Mattress For Seniors
- Reviews: Best Mattress For Elderly
- PrimaSleep® Multi Layered Memory Foam Mattress
- Pure Green® Sleep on Latex Latex Mattress
- Classic Brands® Ananda Pearl and Cool Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
- PlushBeds® Memory Foam Sofa Bed Mattress
- Zinus® Memory Foam Green Tea Mattress
- Lucid® Twin XL Latex mattress for Seniors
- Spectra® Double Sided Coil Mattress for the Elderly
- Sweetnight® King Mattress for the Elderly
- Royal Care® Incontinence Bed Pads for Seniors
- Vive Store® Heavy Duty Incontinence Bed Pad
- Index Table: Top Rated Mattress For Elderly